Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > MSI-6728 ata133 wont work

MSI-6728 ata133 wont work

Diehard

I have the MSI 6728 motherboard. It's the 865PE neo2 series. p4 mobo.
i have a maxtor ata133 drive hooked into IDE 3 on the motherboard which is
the ata133. the drive it is set master. in that IDE3 it won't see the drive,
but in IDE2 i can see it fine which is normal ata100.. I'm trying to install
windows xp on that using the IDE3 which is ata133, IDE2 is ata100 only. I
have these promise raid drivers on floppy that came with the motherboard and
these intel raid drivers, but neither of these work when the win install
says hit f6 for third party scsi drivers. it still says no hard drives
found. So how do I enable that IDE3 so I can use my ata133 drive on the
ata133 connection? Inside the BIOS I can't tell anything about the IDE3. The
only thing that might be worth anything is the Fast Trak utility which is
for raid and it did see the hard drive, but this isn't raid. I didn't see a
way to like enable the IDe3. So can someone please help me?

Thanks guys.

Diehard

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1QqLb.17517$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I have the MSI 6728 motherboard. It's the 865PE neo2 series. p4 mobo.
> i have a maxtor ata133 drive hooked into IDE 3 on the motherboard which is
> the ata133. the drive it is set master. in that IDE3 it won't see the

drive,
> but in IDE2 i can see it fine which is normal ata100.. I'm trying to

install
> windows xp on that using the IDE3 which is ata133, IDE2 is ata100 only. I
> have these promise raid drivers on floppy that came with the motherboard

and
> these intel raid drivers, but neither of these work when the win install
> says hit f6 for third party scsi drivers. it still says no hard drives
> found. So how do I enable that IDE3 so I can use my ata133 drive on the
> ata133 connection? Inside the BIOS I can't tell anything about the IDE3.

The
> only thing that might be worth anything is the Fast Trak utility which is
> for raid and it did see the hard drive, but this isn't raid. I didn't see

> way to like enable the IDe3. So can someone please help me?
>
> Thanks guys.

ok i found out that the ata133 connection port is only for raid, not just
normal hard drive. which sucks bad. it's working on ide2 tho at normal
ata100.

DeMoN LaG

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UetLb.17$q4.9
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> ok i found out that the ata133 connection port is only for raid, not just
> normal hard drive. which sucks bad. it's working on ide2 tho at normal
> ata100.

It isn't just for RAID. If you enable the RAID controller and plug just
the one drive in there, it will work just fine as two extra IDE ports.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

DeMoN LaG

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1QqLb.17517$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> I have the MSI 6728 motherboard. It's the 865PE neo2 series. p4 mobo.
> i have a maxtor ata133 drive hooked into IDE 3 on the motherboard
> which is the ata133. the drive it is set master. in that IDE3 it won't
> see the drive,

You have an 865PE neo2 motherboard??? Are you certain about this? I've
downloaded from MSI's website the manual for both the 865PE Neo2 Series and
865PE Neo2-PS Series, and neither board has 4 IDE ports.

Both list 2 ATA33/66/100 ports, and 2 SATA-150 ports. Neither spec lists 4
ATA ports, neither board layout diagram or picture shows 4 ATA ports, I see
no trace of there ever being 4 ATA ports on that model motherboard. I
don't see 4 ports on the 865G either, or on the 875P Neo.

Are you saying the product manuals on MSI's site are incorrect, or do you
have a different model board?
--

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UetLb.17$q4.9
> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
> > ok i found out that the ata133 connection port is only for raid, not

just
> > normal hard drive. which sucks bad. it's working on ide2 tho at normal
> > ata100.

> It isn't just for RAID. If you enable the RAID controller and plug just
> the one drive in there, it will work just fine as two extra IDE ports.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

it does not work. i enabled it in the bios for s-ata which one of their faq
told me to do so, then the bios saw the drive, but windows will not even
after loading from the promise raid flopy that came with my motherboard. it
just says no drives available. one customer of theirs in their forum told me
also it won't work at all as it's only for raid.

yes i am sure about the board, and yes it has 3 ide and 4 sata ports.

Night_Seer

Diehard wrote:
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UetLb.17$q4.9
>> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>>
>>> ok i found out that the ata133 connection port is only for raid,
>>> not just normal hard drive. which sucks bad. it's working on ide2
>>> tho at normal ata100.

>> It isn't just for RAID. If you enable the RAID controller and plug
>> just the one drive in there, it will work just fine as two extra IDE
>> ports.
>>
>> --
>> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
>> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
>> website: under construction
>> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
>> email/IM for rates/services

> it does not work. i enabled it in the bios for s-ata which one of
> their faq told me to do so, then the bios saw the drive, but windows
> will not even after loading from the promise raid flopy that came
> with my motherboard. it just says no drives available. one customer
> of theirs in their forum told me also it won't work at all as it's
> only for raid.
>
> yes i am sure about the board, and yes it has 3 ide and 4 sata ports.

I think you have to go into the fast track utility first and set up your
drives through that, then windows install should be able to see it when
you use the floppy drivers.

--
Night_Seer

Diehard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Diehard wrote:
> > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> >> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UetLb.17$q4.9
> >> @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> >> It isn't just for RAID. If you enable the RAID controller and plug
> >> just the one drive in there, it will work just fine as two extra IDE
> >> ports.
> >>
> >> --
> >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> >> website: under construction
> >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> >> email/IM for rates/services

> > it does not work. i enabled it in the bios for s-ata which one of
> > their faq told me to do so, then the bios saw the drive, but windows
> > will not even after loading from the promise raid flopy that came
> > with my motherboard. it just says no drives available. one customer
> > of theirs in their forum told me also it won't work at all as it's
> > only for raid.
> >
> > yes i am sure about the board, and yes it has 3 ide and 4 sata ports.

> I think you have to go into the fast track utility first and set up your
> drives through that, then windows install should be able to see it when
> you use the floppy drivers.
>
> --
> Night_Seer

i looked in it, but it is only for raid and i am not using raid only one
drive, so i didn't see anything in the fast trak utility that would help me.
it wants to set up raid only. it has nothing for a single drive.

V W Wall

Diehard wrote:

> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> > "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UetLb.17$q4.9
> > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
> >
> > > ok i found out that the ata133 connection port is only for raid, not

> just
> > > normal hard drive. which sucks bad. it's working on ide2 tho at normal
> > > ata100.

Don't worry about the lack of ATA133 support. No ATA drive, (or SATA, for that
matter), now made can saturate ATA100. Look at the drive specs.

> > It isn't just for RAID. If you enable the RAID controller and plug just
> > the one drive in there, it will work just fine as two extra IDE ports.

> > --
> > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> > website: under construction
> > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> > email/IM for rates/services

> it does not work. i enabled it in the bios for s-ata which one of their faq
> told me to do so, then the bios saw the drive, but windows will not even
> after loading from the promise raid flopy that came with my motherboard. it
> just says no drives available. one customer of theirs in their forum told me
> also it won't work at all as it's only for raid.
>
> yes i am sure about the board, and yes it has 3 ide and 4 sata ports.

Sounds like an awesome machine!

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Night_Seer

Diehard wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Diehard wrote:
>>> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message

>>> it does not work. i enabled it in the bios for s-ata which one of
>>> their faq told me to do so, then the bios saw the drive, but windows
>>> will not even after loading from the promise raid flopy that came
>>> with my motherboard. it just says no drives available. one customer
>>> of theirs in their forum told me also it won't work at all as it's
>>> only for raid.
>>>
>>> yes i am sure about the board, and yes it has 3 ide and 4 sata
>>> ports.

>> I think you have to go into the fast track utility first and set up
>> your drives through that, then windows install should be able to see
>> it when you use the floppy drivers.
>>
>> --
>> Night_Seer
>>

> i looked in it, but it is only for raid and i am not using raid only
> one drive, so i didn't see anything in the fast trak utility that
> would help me. it wants to set up raid only. it has nothing for a
> single drive.

Ah ok, I thought maybe give that a try, sorry.

--
Night_Seer