Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Procuct Key

Procuct Key

Lars Borch

Does anyone know how to re create the product Key number of an old computer?
It is legal as I have just thrown the original one away.
It is win 95!
lasse

---

Thor

Win95's product key can be found by simply looking at the system properties.
Go to the control panel, then click on "system". On the first page the
product key should be listed there. In later versions of windows, the number
displayed there could not be used for reinstalling, but in Win95 it should
be the product key you enter for installation.

"Lars Borch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ffb1173$0$27401$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Does anyone know how to re create the product Key number of an old

computer?
> It is legal as I have just thrown the original one away.
> It is win 95!
> lasse
>

> ---

George

Thor (or anyone),

Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

TIA

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win95's product key can be found by simply looking at the system

properties.
> Go to the control panel, then click on "system". On the first page the
> product key should be listed there. In later versions of windows, the

number
> displayed there could not be used for reinstalling, but in Win95 it should
> be the product key you enter for installation.
>

> ..
> "Lars Borch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3ffb1173$0$27401$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> > Does anyone know how to re create the product Key number of an old

> computer?
> > It is legal as I have just thrown the original one away.
> > It is win 95!
> > lasse
> >

> > ---

V W Wall

George wrote:

> Thor (or anyone),

It's 1 AM in Thorland...

> Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
> product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the product
key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Thor

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor (or anyone),
>
> Question: In later versions of Windows (I'm thinking 98 here), can the
> product key that shows up in the registry be used to re-install windows?

Yes, I believe so. There are also many handly little applications, and
scripts that can extract the key and display it. Check downloads.com .

Steve

"V W Wall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> George wrote:
> >

> In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
> used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the

product
> key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.
>
> Virg Wall

Virgil,

The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

V W Wall

Steve wrote:

> "V W Wall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > George wrote:
> > >

> > In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
> > used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the

> product
> > key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.
> >
> > Virg Wall

> Virgil,
>
> The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

Microsoft obviously didn't assign a particular key to each CD, stamped
out by the thousends. There are a number that will work, but using the
one on the CD used to generate it will surely work.

I've known people that "lost" the key for the CD they have, and have had
to try sevral of the keys floating around on the Web, before finding
one that worked. Trying it oneself would involve attempting many
installations to see which worked. I'll leave that up to you!

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(Microsoft programmer's manual.)

Thor

news:nVVKb.37977$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "V W Wall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > George wrote:
> > >

> > In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that was
> > used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the

> product
> > key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.
> >
> > Virg Wall

> Virgil,
>
> The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

Microsoft certainly does have CDs that will only accept a certain type or
range of keys for the given product type. For example, OEM discs, while
having the same 25 digit product key format might not accept a key from a
retail disc, and vise-versa. I have two Win98 discs that the keys are not
interchangeable.

George

MS has a few different types of keys. If you have a retail product CD, you
must use a retail product key. If you have an OEM product CD, you must use
an OEM product key. There may be other types, but these were the types
explained to me by Microsoft when I bought the Win98 updater CD (Win98FE to
Win98SE) and found it didn't work for my PC. In my situation, I had a
retail key from Win98FE (you use your old key with the updater) and the
retailer sold me an OEM version updater.

"V W Wall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve wrote:
> >
> > "V W Wall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > George wrote:
> > > >

> > > In Windows 98, the product key is put in the registry by the CD that

was
> > > used to install the operating system. Using the same CD again, the

> > product
> > > key in the registry will be the one expected from that CD.
> > >
> > > Virg Wall

> > Virgil,
> >
> > The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

> Microsoft obviously didn't assign a particular key to each CD, stamped
> out by the thousends. There are a number that will work, but using the
> one on the CD used to generate it will surely work.
>
> I've known people that "lost" the key for the CD they have, and have had
> to try sevral of the keys floating around on the Web, before finding
> one that worked. Trying it oneself would involve attempting many
> installations to see which worked. I'll leave that up to you!
>
> Virg Wall
> --
> A foolish consistency is the
> hobgoblin of little minds,........
> Ralph Waldo Emerson
> (Microsoft programmer's manual.)

Steve

> > The CD does not require a specific key.. try it yourself.

> Microsoft certainly does have CDs that will only accept a certain type or
> range of keys for the given product type. For example, OEM discs, while
> having the same 25 digit product key format might not accept a key from a
> retail disc, and vise-versa. I have two Win98 discs that the keys are not
> interchangeable.

Yes I should have stated that OEM key will work with ALL OEM discs and a
retail key works with ALL retail disc.

---

WEP/WPA Key / Network Key...Cant connect ! =?Utf-8?B?SGVsbG8sV2lyZWxlc3MgaXMgQW5ub3lpbmc=?= Wireless Networking 1 09-20-2005 08:30 PM
Procuct with decimal Fra Javascript 4 07-19-2005 09:13 PM
custom key and hasmap using a ranged key Christian Bongiorno Java 1 06-15-2004 10:03 PM

Advertisments