Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Email Virus?

Email Virus?

=The Anti-n00b=

I am all the sudden getting a flood of emails that appear to come from
Microsoft, with exe files attached. I've gotten like 20 of these so far in
the last hour, and for obvious reasons I am not opening the attachments. Is
this something new thats going around? I'm using WinXP Pro SP1 with all the
updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Here's the body of the
email I'm getting:

Microsoft User

this is the latest version of security update, the "January 2004,
Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities
affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as
three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping your
computer secure from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
allow an attacker to run code on your computer. This update includes the
functionality of all previously released patches.

System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest
opportunity.
How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be
found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related
information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security
Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are
the trademarks of their respective owners.

Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |
Privacy Statement | Accessibility

LeAnn

It's been around for a while. Microsoft never sends out attachments in
their emails.

LeAnn

=The Anti-n00b= wrote:
> I am all the sudden getting a flood of emails that appear to come from
> Microsoft, with exe files attached. I've gotten like 20 of these so far in
> the last hour, and for obvious reasons I am not opening the attachments. Is
> this something new thats going around? I'm using WinXP Pro SP1 with all the
> updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Here's the body of the
> email I'm getting:
>
> Microsoft User
>
> this is the latest version of security update, the "January 2004,
> Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities
> affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as
> three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping your
> computer secure from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
> allow an attacker to run code on your computer. This update includes the
> functionality of all previously released patches.
>

> System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
> This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
> MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
> MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
> Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest
> opportunity.
> How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
> How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.
>
> Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be
> found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related
> information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security
> Advisor web site, or Contact Us.
>
> Thank you for using Microsoft products.
>
> Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
> e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

> The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are
> the trademarks of their respective owners.
>
> Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
> 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |
> Privacy Statement | Accessibility

=The Anti-n00b=

Bah ... just installed Norton.

They all have W32.Swen.A@mm

Wow ... this thing is nasty ...
http://(E-Mail Removed)

"=The Anti-n00b=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am all the sudden getting a flood of emails that appear to come from
> Microsoft, with exe files attached. I've gotten like 20 of these so far

in
> the last hour, and for obvious reasons I am not opening the attachments.

Is
> this something new thats going around? I'm using WinXP Pro SP1 with all

the
> updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Here's the body of the
> email I'm getting:
>
> Microsoft User
>
> this is the latest version of security update, the "January 2004,
> Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities
> affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well

as
> three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping

your
> computer secure from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which

could
> allow an attacker to run code on your computer. This update includes the
> functionality of all previously released patches.
>

> System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
> This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and

later
> MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
> MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
> Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest
> opportunity.
> How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog

box.
> How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this

item.

> Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can

be
> found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related
> information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security
> Advisor web site, or Contact Us.
>
> Thank you for using Microsoft products.
>
> Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
> e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

> The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are
> the trademarks of their respective owners.
>
> Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
> 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |
> Privacy Statement | Accessibility

Jerry G.

This type of email has been going around for about a year now. Microsoft,
and all the professional companies never send attachments in their emails.
Infact, these companies will never email someone unless that person has done
an enquiry directly to them. If they require the person to download a driver
or upgrade, they will indicate or show a link to their official site. On
their site there will be a way to contact them, or to simply verify the
integrity of their information.

To check for upgrades for any kind of reputable software, the user should
log on to the manufacture site, and do an enquiry directly, or search their
site for the required files, and information.

If you look closely at the headers in the HTML code of these unsolicited
emails, you will be able to see that they are coming from various return
addresses that have nothing to do with the manufacture of the files that
they are suggesting.

Never open any attachments that come in your emails, unless you know that
the source can be trusted. If the source is trusted, first scan the files
with an updated virus scanner for safety. The sender may have a problem and
not even know it!

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

[...]

Ted Nowicki

If you look at the Microsoft in the top corner.(You know how it said
'Microsoft") and look close at that text you will be that in the word
Microsoft, the s is not connected to the o. Pro comanys never send out
attachments in there emails.
"=The Anti-n00b=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am all the sudden getting a flood of emails that appear to come from
> Microsoft, with exe files attached. I've gotten like 20 of these so far

in
> the last hour, and for obvious reasons I am not opening the attachments.

Is
> this something new thats going around? I'm using WinXP Pro SP1 with all

the
> updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Here's the body of the
> email I'm getting:
>
> Microsoft User
>
> this is the latest version of security update, the "January 2004,
> Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities
> affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well

as
> three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping

your
> computer secure from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which

could
> allow an attacker to run code on your computer. This update includes the
> functionality of all previously released patches.
>

> System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
> This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and

later
> MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
> MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
> Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest
> opportunity.
> How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog

box.
> How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this

item.

> Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can

be
> found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related
> information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security
> Advisor web site, or Contact Us.
>
> Thank you for using Microsoft products.
>
> Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
> e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

> The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are
> the trademarks of their respective owners.
>
> Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
> 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |
> Privacy Statement | Accessibility

HF

It has been going around for a long time now but Microsoft NEVER sends
messages to individuals so it just means delete as a routine.

---