Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > scary flybynight IT contractors

scary flybynight IT contractors

Hugo Drax

I have been seeing lots of horrid work done by fly by night contractors who
claim to Install anything but the kitchen sink I get called to "Clean up"
the mess but even in the forums I see some scary questions (ie: I have no
experience with cisco HW but...) asked here by people hired by companies to
do work for them. Why would someone start a buisness and do bad work VS
learning first and getting experience in a shop. Once you build a bad rep
you will never get it back. To the guys here who actually contract
themselves out to install cisco products without ever touching one why would
you put yourself in that situation?

Warrick FitzGerald

> themselves out to install cisco products without ever touching one why would
> you put yourself in that situation?

Somtimes its just over confidence, people thinking they'll be able to
implement gear with a little learning.

Remember that your average user does not view networking as a difficult
topic. For the most part users think ... oh well I was able to plug my
Linksys router in at home, so I'm sure I could install a Cisco switch
after reading the manual.

I find for the most part people take the network for granted (Only miss it
when it not there), and have absolutly no concept of the complexity
involved.

..... on the other hand sometimes people are just idiots and want to make a
fast buck.

Warrick

Brian Bergin

"Warrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|.... on the other hand sometimes people are just idiots and want to make a
|fast buck.

See now, that was my thinking exactly! Personally, if I don't know how to do
it, I find someone who does. Mucking around day after day is too stressful on
the heart! I'll ask here and some other places if I have a problem and if I
can't get a good solution, it's time to find someone with better expertise.
Sure everyone has to learn sometime, but most of the guys we clean up after were
just plain idiots... IMHO....

Thanks...
Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at
cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Thomas Larus

My horror story with a "contractor from hell" involved a very knowledgable
guy with plenty of experience. He worked for one of the most prestigious IT
contracting companies/resellers in the Cisco arena. He gave the impression
that he was somehow the right-hand man to someone high up in our company,
and basically answered directly to him. This was pretty plausible given our
company's reliance on high-end contractors.

I should have known to watch out for him when he bad-mouthed another fellow
from his own company. The other fellow seemed intelligent but less
confident and capable and probably had more education but less experience
than the "contractor from hell."

The "contractor from hell" messed up something on our site by trying to
"clean up" something that was completely outside the scope of what his job
there that day. By the time we stopped him he had messed it up so that he
could not fix it, or did not feel it was worth much of his valuable time to
fix it.

He was very knowledgeable, and much more experienced than I was at the time,
which was one reason why I did not stop him earlier than I did. He was the
"contractor from hell" not because of ignorance or inexperience, but because
of arrogance.

I do not doubt that many of the better networkers do spend a lot of their
time cleaning up after less knowledgeable and experienced networkers, but
some of the old pros screw up things pretty well once in a while. The less
experienced networkers are also less experienced in covering their tracks.

Tom Larus, CCIE #10,014
Author of CCIE Warm-Up: Advice and Learning Labs
http://www.ipexpert.com/products_ser...asp?sku=ip7777

news:(E-Mail Removed)...