Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > help with virtual memory

help with virtual memory

Dan & Cindy

Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig hard
drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The problem is
for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram, if
I add more ram does this change anything. I did change the virtual mem. in
system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in Ohio

Duane Arnold

"Dan & Cindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Up6Jb.45430$(E-Mail Removed):

> Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig
> hard
> drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The
> problem is for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I
> have 384mb ram, if I add more ram does this change anything. I did
> change the virtual mem. in system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in
> Ohio

I think the rule of thumb is that the Page File size should be 2 times the
total size of Ram that the machine has. Also the recommended memory to run
XP is 512mb(s) of Ram. This can be doen easily by going to www.crucial.com.

And since you say you're a novice, the link will help too. You should
*harden* the XP O/S to attack.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

Duane

derek / nul

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 04:26:28 GMT, "Dan & Cindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig hard
>drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The problem is
>for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram, if
>I add more ram does this change anything. I did change the virtual mem. in
>system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in Ohio

You have enough ram,
set the virtual memory back to "let windows handle it" and it will be fine.

Derek

mark mandel

"Dan & Cindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Up6Jb.45430$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig hard
> drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The problem

is
> for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram,

if
> I add more ram does this change anything. I did change the virtual mem. in
> system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in Ohio

Page file settings are an endless source of debate in Geek circles. Some
say twice, some say thrice and some say somewhere in between. However, for
a maximum you'd want double what this minimum setting is.

Also I get by fine on 256 MB of RAM for Win XP but in the next system I'm
building I will install 512 just to give myself more elbow room.

Plato

Dan & Cindy wrote:

> Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig hard
> drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The problem is
> for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram, if

First step is for you to NOT MESS with the virtural memory settings as
you will likely end up with "not enough virtural memory" error
messages".

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/