Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What would you pay for this computer?

What would you pay for this computer?

bob adams

Brand new
Pentium 4 2.66b w/ 533 FSB and 512k cache
ECS 648FX-A Pentium4 478Pin DDR Motherboard(800FSB)
Black 3.5 floppy drive
ATI Radeon 9600 256mb Sapphire DDR 8X AGP DVI/TV Out
Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Windows XP Home
120GB 7200 RPM hard drive
56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
1GB (1024MB) DDR SDRAM - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM
Extra Mid Tower Case Top Fan, FloodLight, USB1.0, Side Window, 3 Red LED Fan
400 watt power supply
56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW

What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

Adam Steiner

"bob adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Brand new
> Pentium 4 2.66b w/ 533 FSB and 512k cache
> ECS 648FX-A Pentium4 478Pin DDR Motherboard(800FSB)
> Black 3.5 floppy drive
> ATI Radeon 9600 256mb Sapphire DDR 8X AGP DVI/TV Out
> Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
> Windows XP Home
> 120GB 7200 RPM hard drive
> 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
> 1GB (1024MB) DDR SDRAM - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM
> Extra Mid Tower Case Top Fan, FloodLight, USB1.0, Side Window, 3 Red LED

Fan
> 400 watt power supply
> 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
> Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW
>
> What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

If you have the options...can't comment on the price....
Go for the P4 2.6C, it should be about the same price and you'll get the
800Mhz FSB
How fast is the RAM? DDR 333 will default to 320 (I think) if you have
the P4 2.6C
I heard that the ATI 9600, while good, is actually not much better than
the 9500. It may be better to get the 9800 with 128MB of RAM (not sure on
the prices though)
What make is the HD? Does it have a 2MB Cache or 8? I'd go with the
8MB.
I assume you mean USB 2.0 and not USB 1.0 (or 1.1).
For sound I'd go with a SB Audigy or Audigy 2. Even the Audigy should
be better than the Live 5.1 (from what I hear)

What are you planning on using this machine for?

--Adam

Michael-NC

"bob adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Brand new
> Pentium 4 2.66b w/ 533 FSB and 512k cache

150.00

> ECS 648FX-A Pentium4 478Pin DDR Motherboard(800FSB)

55.00

> Black 3.5 floppy drive

10.00

> ATI Radeon 9600 256mb Sapphire DDR 8X AGP DVI/TV Out

105.00

> Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

30.00

> Windows XP Home

100.00

> 120GB 7200 RPM hard drive

80.00

> 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)

20.00

> 1GB (1024MB) DDR SDRAM - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM

175.00

> Extra Mid Tower Case Top Fan, FloodLight, USB1.0, Side Window, 3 Red LED

Fan

60.00

> 400 watt power supply

50.00

> Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW

100.00

> What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

Soooo, that's 935.00 in parts if you build it yourself. Now that's assuming
the computer you're contemplating actually has good memory that cost 175.00
It can be had cheaper, as can the power supply. Which is generally not good
for you. always know the brand and spec of _each_ component.

What are you trying to do with your system. It looks like an entry level
gaming rig. The video card is a good choice but I would consider a AMD
platform based on the A7N8X MB and a XP2600 CPU. That CPU would save you 50
bucks and be just as quick. You could then get an Asus A7N8X MoBo for 75
bucks and have a top of the line motherboard instead of an ECS board. Don't
get a cheap power supply, whatever you do.

Most important for games are CPU, Video card and ram. For games, 512MBs will
do you, right now, 1GB is overkill. Almost any CPU over 2GHz or XP2000 will
handle most all games. You're card is entry level DirectX 9. Good choice.
It'll run everything but not with all the details turned up.

If you're doing serious video editing, more ram is desirable.

Off to celebrate 2004!

Happy New Year Gang!

bob adams

I was going to be selling it. What would you be paying for it? Thanks.
"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fvMIb.195046$(E-Mail Removed). com...

> "bob adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Brand new
> > Pentium 4 2.66b w/ 533 FSB and 512k cache

> 150.00
>
> > ECS 648FX-A Pentium4 478Pin DDR Motherboard(800FSB)

> 55.00
>
> > Black 3.5 floppy drive

> 10.00
>
> > ATI Radeon 9600 256mb Sapphire DDR 8X AGP DVI/TV Out

> 105.00
>
> > Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

> 30.00
>
> > Windows XP Home

> 100.00
>
> > 120GB 7200 RPM hard drive

> 80.00
>
> > 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)

> 20.00
>
> > 1GB (1024MB) DDR SDRAM - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM

> 175.00
>
> > Extra Mid Tower Case Top Fan, FloodLight, USB1.0, Side Window, 3 Red LED

> Fan
>
> 60.00
>
> > 400 watt power supply

> 50.00
>

> > Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW

> 100.00
>
> > What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

> Soooo, that's 935.00 in parts if you build it yourself. Now that's

assuming
> the computer you're contemplating actually has good memory that cost

175.00
> It can be had cheaper, as can the power supply. Which is generally not

good
> for you. always know the brand and spec of _each_ component.
>
> What are you trying to do with your system. It looks like an entry level
> gaming rig. The video card is a good choice but I would consider a AMD
> platform based on the A7N8X MB and a XP2600 CPU. That CPU would save you

50
> bucks and be just as quick. You could then get an Asus A7N8X MoBo for 75
> bucks and have a top of the line motherboard instead of an ECS board.

Don't
> get a cheap power supply, whatever you do.
>
> Most important for games are CPU, Video card and ram. For games, 512MBs

will
> do you, right now, 1GB is overkill. Almost any CPU over 2GHz or XP2000

will
> handle most all games. You're card is entry level DirectX 9. Good choice.
> It'll run everything but not with all the details turned up.
>
> If you're doing serious video editing, more ram is desirable.
>

> Off to celebrate 2004!
>
> Happy New Year Gang!

=The Anti-n00b=

I think his answer was $935.00.....

> I was going to be selling it. What would you be paying for it? Thanks.
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fvMIb.195046$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >
> > "bob adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Brand new
> > > Pentium 4 2.66b w/ 533 FSB and 512k cache

> > 150.00
> >
> > > ECS 648FX-A Pentium4 478Pin DDR Motherboard(800FSB)

> > 55.00
> >
> > > Black 3.5 floppy drive

> > 10.00
> >
> > > ATI Radeon 9600 256mb Sapphire DDR 8X AGP DVI/TV Out

> > 105.00
> >
> > > Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

> > 30.00
> >
> > > Windows XP Home

> > 100.00
> >
> > > 120GB 7200 RPM hard drive

> > 80.00
> >
> > > 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)

> > 20.00
> >
> > > 1GB (1024MB) DDR SDRAM - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM

> > 175.00
> >
> > > Extra Mid Tower Case Top Fan, FloodLight, USB1.0, Side Window, 3 Red

LED
> > Fan
> >
> > 60.00
> >
> > > 400 watt power supply

> > 50.00
> >

> > > Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW

> > 100.00
> >
> > > What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

> > Soooo, that's 935.00 in parts if you build it yourself. Now that's

> assuming
> > the computer you're contemplating actually has good memory that cost

> 175.00
> > It can be had cheaper, as can the power supply. Which is generally not

> good
> > for you. always know the brand and spec of _each_ component.
> >
> > What are you trying to do with your system. It looks like an entry level
> > gaming rig. The video card is a good choice but I would consider a AMD
> > platform based on the A7N8X MB and a XP2600 CPU. That CPU would save you

> 50
> > bucks and be just as quick. You could then get an Asus A7N8X MoBo for 75
> > bucks and have a top of the line motherboard instead of an ECS board.

> Don't
> > get a cheap power supply, whatever you do.
> >
> > Most important for games are CPU, Video card and ram. For games, 512MBs

> will
> > do you, right now, 1GB is overkill. Almost any CPU over 2GHz or XP2000

> will
> > handle most all games. You're card is entry level DirectX 9. Good

choice.
> > It'll run everything but not with all the details turned up.
> >
> > If you're doing serious video editing, more ram is desirable.
> >

> > Off to celebrate 2004!
> >
> > Happy New Year Gang!

Wizard

~ $600.00

bob adams wrote:

> Brand new
> Pentium 4 2.66b w/ 533 FSB and 512k cache
> ECS 648FX-A Pentium4 478Pin DDR Motherboard(800FSB)
> Black 3.5 floppy drive
> ATI Radeon 9600 256mb Sapphire DDR 8X AGP DVI/TV Out
> Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
> Windows XP Home
> 120GB 7200 RPM hard drive
> 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
> 1GB (1024MB) DDR SDRAM - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM
> Extra Mid Tower Case Top Fan, FloodLight, USB1.0, Side Window, 3 Red LED Fan
> 400 watt power supply
> 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
> Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW
>
> What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

bob adams

I know. Hes not the only one here. Duh.
"=The Anti-n00b=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I think his answer was $935.00.....
>

> "bob adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I was going to be selling it. What would you be paying for it? Thanks.
> > "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:fvMIb.195046$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > >
> > > "bob adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >
> > > 150.00

> > > 55.00

> > > 10.00

> > > 105.00

> > > 30.00

> > > 100.00

> > > 80.00

> > > 20.00

> > > 175.00

> LED
> > > Fan
> > >
> > > 60.00

> > > 50.00

> > > 100.00

> > > Soooo, that's 935.00 in parts if you build it yourself. Now that's

> > assuming
> > > the computer you're contemplating actually has good memory that cost

> > 175.00
> > > It can be had cheaper, as can the power supply. Which is generally not

> > good
> > > for you. always know the brand and spec of _each_ component.
> > >
> > > What are you trying to do with your system. It looks like an entry

level
> > > gaming rig. The video card is a good choice but I would consider a AMD
> > > platform based on the A7N8X MB and a XP2600 CPU. That CPU would save

you
> > 50
> > > bucks and be just as quick. You could then get an Asus A7N8X MoBo for

75
> > > bucks and have a top of the line motherboard instead of an ECS board.

> > Don't
> > > get a cheap power supply, whatever you do.
> > >
> > > Most important for games are CPU, Video card and ram. For games,

512MBs
> > will
> > > do you, right now, 1GB is overkill. Almost any CPU over 2GHz or XP2000

> > will
> > > handle most all games. You're card is entry level DirectX 9. Good

> choice.
> > > It'll run everything but not with all the details turned up.
> > >
> > > If you're doing serious video editing, more ram is desirable.
> > >

> > > Off to celebrate 2004!
> > >
> > > Happy New Year Gang!

Calvin Crumrine

Not sure what I'd pay for it but as far as cheap upgrades, first would
be a NIC. Second would be a second CD/DVD drive-probably DVD but you
could get by with CD. Figure that you mostly play disks-why wear out
your burner doing that?

bob adams wrote:
> Brand new
> Pentium 4 2.66b w/ 533 FSB and 512k cache
> ECS 648FX-A Pentium4 478Pin DDR Motherboard(800FSB)
> Black 3.5 floppy drive
> ATI Radeon 9600 256mb Sapphire DDR 8X AGP DVI/TV Out
> Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
> Windows XP Home
> 120GB 7200 RPM hard drive
> 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
> 1GB (1024MB) DDR SDRAM - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM
> Extra Mid Tower Case Top Fan, FloodLight, USB1.0, Side Window, 3 Red LED Fan
> 400 watt power supply
> 56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
> Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW
>
> What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

bob adams

Oh yeah, the motherboard doesn't have one. Thanks!!!
news:(E-Mail Removed)...