Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB vs USB 2

USB vs USB 2

justme

I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already have a
regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty fast, would
I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take the
2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any difference.

LeAnn

TV Slug

justme wrote:
> I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
> I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already
> have a regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty
> fast, would
> I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take
> the 2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any
> difference.
>
> LeAnn

If the printer is not USB2 capable, the cable will not make a difference in
the speed. Even if it is USB2 capable, the speed of the printer would
probably be the limiting factor anyhow, but having a USB2 cable in this case
would be sure to carry those faster bits.

Calvin Crumrine

justme wrote:

> I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
> I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already have a
> regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty fast, would
> I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take the
> 2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any
> difference.
>
> LeAnn

To achieve USB2 speed you need 3 things: A USB2-capable computer, a
USB2-capable device, and a USB2-compatible cable connecting the computer
to the device. (If the cable runs thru a hub then the hub must be
USB2-compatible also.)

You can make most computers USB2-capable by adding a USB2 card but I
don't know of any way to make a printer USB2-capable if it isn't so I'd
start by checking the printer specs. Frankly I don't think you'd gain
much if any print speed using USB2-but I don't know for sure. If this is
a 'page' printer (a printer that needs to load the entire page into
memory before it starts printing it) then you might. If it's a 'line'
printer (like most inkjets) then I doubt it.

justme

Well my printer is probably USB 2 compatible because the cables were
right above the shelf that the printer was on at the store. It is a
Canon I860 but my computer is probably not compatible, it's a HP
Pavilion 4455. How can I find out weather it is or is not compatible?

LeAnn

TV Slug wrote:

> justme wrote:
>
>>I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
>>I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already
>>have a regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty
>>fast, would
>>I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take
>>the 2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any
>>difference.
>>
>>LeAnn

> If the printer is not USB2 capable, the cable will not make a difference in
> the speed. Even if it is USB2 capable, the speed of the printer would
> probably be the limiting factor anyhow, but having a USB2 cable in this case
> would be sure to carry those faster bits.

Calvin Crumrine

In both cases, check the specs. Look in the manual or online. As a last
resort, call tech support.

justme wrote:

> Well my printer is probably USB 2 compatible because the cables were
> right above the shelf that the printer was on at the store. It is a
> Canon I860 but my computer is probably not compatible, it's a HP
> Pavilion 4455. How can I find out weather it is or is not compatible?
>
> LeAnn
>
> TV Slug wrote:
>
>> justme wrote:
>>
>>> I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
>>> I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already
>>> have a regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty
>>> fast, would
>>> I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take
>>> the 2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> LeAnn

>> If the printer is not USB2 capable, the cable will not make a
>> difference in
>> the speed. Even if it is USB2 capable, the speed of the printer would
>> probably be the limiting factor anyhow, but having a USB2 cable in
>> this case
>> would be sure to carry those faster bits.

Thor

If it's using Win98 (and it was originally Win98 when you bought it), it
isn't USB 2.0 capable unless you purchased a separate USB 2.0 interface
card. In this case, I'd say get your money back for that expensive cable.
You can even buy USB 2.0 cables for far less than that, if you shop around.
That is a hugely inflated price if you ask me.

"justme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well my printer is probably USB 2 compatible because the cables were
> right above the shelf that the printer was on at the store. It is a
> Canon I860 but my computer is probably not compatible, it's a HP
> Pavilion 4455. How can I find out weather it is or is not compatible?
>
> LeAnn
>
> TV Slug wrote:
>
> > justme wrote:
> >
> >>I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
> >>I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already
> >>have a regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty
> >>fast, would
> >>I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take
> >>the 2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any
> >>difference.
> >>
> >>LeAnn

> > If the printer is not USB2 capable, the cable will not make a difference

in
> > the speed. Even if it is USB2 capable, the speed of the printer would
> > probably be the limiting factor anyhow, but having a USB2 cable in this

case
> > would be sure to carry those faster bits.

Michael-NC

Most cables will work just fine, especially for a home inkjet printer for
really doesn't need USB2 speed. I've used USB1 cables on USB 2 High Speed
Devices and they work just fine.

"justme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
> I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already have a
> regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty fast, would
> I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take the
> 2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any

difference.

> LeAnn

Calvin Crumrine

Do you get USB2 speed using a USB1 cable? Assuming, of course, that both
the device & the computer are USB2 capable.

Michael-NC wrote:

> Most cables will work just fine, especially for a home inkjet printer for
> really doesn't need USB2 speed. I've used USB1 cables on USB 2 High Speed
> Devices and they work just fine.
>
> "justme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
>>I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already have a
>>regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty fast, would
>>I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take the
>>2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any

> difference.
>
>>LeAnn

V W Wall

Michael-NC wrote:

> Most cables will work just fine, especially for a home inkjet printer for
> really doesn't need USB2 speed. I've used USB1 cables on USB 2 High Speed
> Devices and they work just fine.
>
> "justme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have purchased a USB 2 cable to go with my new Canon printer but now
> > I'm thinking I might take it back and get my $20 back. I already have a
> > regular (1.X?) hooked up to the printer and it seems pretty fast, would
> > I gain any print speed by switching out the cables or should I take the
> > 2 back and get a refund? I'm using Windows 98 if that makes any

> difference.
> >
> > LeAnn

The only difference between the spec for a USB1 cable and a USB2 cable
is in the shielding and pair twist. For a short run, (connecting a
printer), there would not be any difference in performance.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Michael-NC

On a Palm and a printer, I say yes but I haven't tried it on a high
throughput device like a drive. I would say if you had a quality USB1 cable,
it would support the USB2 high speed transfer rate. I'd at least try before
blowing 20 bucks on a new cable.

Also, as an aside, if a USB2 device does not have the "High Speed" logo, it
isn't really USB2. There are many devices that call themselves USB2 "Full
Speed."
Avoid these is you want the high speed of USB2 "High Speed." Dumb, ain't it?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...