Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How do I partition for ntfs at bootup?

How do I partition for ntfs at bootup?

Dan

I have been trying to install Winxp on a new, clean hard drive. I
started about a week ago, and somehow managed to do it (in ntfs) but
couldn't get WinXP to fully install because of a mb problem, and now
can't, for the life of me, find the reference source that I used.
Anyway, because at least 1 file was missing or corrupted from my first
WinXP disk that I used (no, it is not pirated), I decided to
departition the hd with fdisk and start again. Unfortunately, that
is as far as I can get this time. Would much appreciate any advice.

Dan

Duane Arnold

Dan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Rv7Ib.185824$PD3.5893871
@nnrp1.uunet.ca:

> I have been trying to install Winxp on a new, clean hard drive. I
> started about a week ago, and somehow managed to do it (in ntfs) but
> couldn't get WinXP to fully install because of a mb problem, and now
> can't, for the life of me, find the reference source that I used.
> Anyway, because at least 1 file was missing or corrupted from my first
> WinXP disk that I used (no, it is not pirated), I decided to
> departition the hd with fdisk and start again. Unfortunately, that
> is as far as I can get this time. Would much appreciate any advice.
>
> Dan

You can do the install using FAT32 and when you're done, you can use the
Convert command at the command prompt, which will convert the FAT32
partition to a NTFS one. Convert c: /fs:ntfs

Duane

Dan

I finally found the page I was looking for. In case anyone else has
the same problem, it is at http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/clean.htm .

Thanks,
Dan

Dan wrote:

> I have been trying to install Winxp on a new, clean hard drive.
> I started about a week ago, and somehow managed to do it (in ntfs)
> but couldn't get WinXP to fully install because of a mb problem, and
> now can't, for the life of me, find the reference source that I
> used. Anyway, because at least 1 file was missing or corrupted from
> my first WinXP disk that I used (no, it is not pirated), I decided
> to departition the hd with fdisk and start again. Unfortunately,
> that is as far as I can get this time. Would much appreciate any
> advice.
>
> Dan

=The Anti-n00b=

This is actually quite easy. Boot from the CD-ROM. When asked where to
install WinXP, select Unallocated Drive Space. It will then ask you if you
want to use FAT32 or NTFS. Select NTFS. It will then create the partition,
format it, and continue with the installation process.

news:Rv7Ib.185824$(E-Mail Removed)...