Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cat 5E cables

Cat 5E cables

David H

Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of Cat5E
cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a 70'
cable together. Borrowed the crimper, ended up trying about 5 different
times with the RJ 45 ends and never could get a good signal. Just wondered
if there is a good trick to crimping and aligning the wires. I was using
the 568A wiring connection.

Since this was my first time of trying to align the four pair wires, didn't
know if I was doing something wrong.

Thanks for any advice!

Wizard

Unless you have either crimped the cable severely or run it next to a
fluorescent ballast the cable is not the problem. Make sure that the
colors are correct and before you crimp the jack on make sure all the
wires are cut square across and go to the inside end of the jack. There
is no trick to it but it is a pain in the ass. You must have a tester to
verify the integrity of both pairs.

David H wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of Cat5E
> cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a 70'
> cable together. Borrowed the crimper, ended up trying about 5 different
> times with the RJ 45 ends and never could get a good signal. Just wondered
> if there is a good trick to crimping and aligning the wires. I was using
> the 568A wiring connection.
>
> Since this was my first time of trying to align the four pair wires, didn't
> know if I was doing something wrong.
>
> Thanks for any advice!

David H

Thanks! I saw an article on it and I probably didn't have all the wires
equal. I think I had all the colors aligned, but then again, maybe not.
Hopefully I will get better with experience.

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unless you have either crimped the cable severely or run it next to a
> fluorescent ballast the cable is not the problem. Make sure that the
> colors are correct and before you crimp the jack on make sure all the
> wires are cut square across and go to the inside end of the jack. There
> is no trick to it but it is a pain in the ass. You must have a tester to
> verify the integrity of both pairs.
>
> David H wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of

Cat5E
> > cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a 70'
> > cable together. Borrowed the crimper, ended up trying about 5 different
> > times with the RJ 45 ends and never could get a good signal. Just

wondered
> > if there is a good trick to crimping and aligning the wires. I was

using
> > the 568A wiring connection.
> >
> > Since this was my first time of trying to align the four pair wires,

didn't
> > know if I was doing something wrong.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice!

Adam Steiner

It just takes practice. In my experience, especially with stranded cable,
the wires may be lined up, but when you put them into the jack, they're more
likely to slip and switch between them. Just look before you crimp.

--adam

"David H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A1hIb.1216$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Thanks! I saw an article on it and I probably didn't have all the wires
> equal. I think I had all the colors aligned, but then again, maybe not.
> Hopefully I will get better with experience.
>

> "Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Unless you have either crimped the cable severely or run it next to a
> > fluorescent ballast the cable is not the problem. Make sure that the
> > colors are correct and before you crimp the jack on make sure all the
> > wires are cut square across and go to the inside end of the jack. There
> > is no trick to it but it is a pain in the ass. You must have a tester to
> > verify the integrity of both pairs.
> >
> > David H wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of

> Cat5E
> > > cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a

70'
> > > cable together. Borrowed the crimper, ended up trying about 5

different
> > > times with the RJ 45 ends and never could get a good signal. Just

> wondered
> > > if there is a good trick to crimping and aligning the wires. I was

> using
> > > the 568A wiring connection.
> > >
> > > Since this was my first time of trying to align the four pair wires,

> didn't
> > > know if I was doing something wrong.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any advice!

V W Wall

David H wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of Cat5E
> cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a 70'
> cable together. Borrowed the crimper, ended up trying about 5 different
> times with the RJ 45 ends and never could get a good signal. Just wondered
> if there is a good trick to crimping and aligning the wires. I was using
> the 568A wiring connection.
>
> Since this was my first time of trying to align the four pair wires, didn't
> know if I was doing something wrong.
>
> Thanks for any advice!

You can get RJ45 jacks for Cat5e cable that use a "punch down" connection.
It's much easier to do, and only reguires a punch down tool, rather than
a crimper. Dynacom Cat. No. 10605e-BLU is one such jack. It's color
coded for EIA-T568A or B. They cost a bit more than the crimp-on connecrors.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Plato

David H wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the quality of Cat5E
> cables and if they ever break in a long run. I was trying to put a 70'

The quality of the crimpers and ends can make a huge difference. I'ts
not the cable.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/