Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Thor - Internal Speaker Question

Thor - Internal Speaker Question

mcp6453

Thor:

I have an IBM 6862 from hell. When I first began working on it, the
internal speaker worked fine. It was essential to reinstall Windows
98SE, which went well. When I installed the Crystal sound drivers, they
installed twice, but the sound worked. As an exercise, I decided to try
to get rid of the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. Somewhere
along the way, the internal speaker stopped working. The sound is on the
motherboard, and the sound works from the external jack; however, no
speaker sound. The way the speaker is wired into the motherboard, I
cannot unplug it and try a new speaker. I may have to remove the speaker
to substitute.

My question is, can you think of a reason that the internal speaker is
not working EXCEPT the obvious, such as 1) the external jack disconnects
the internal speaker, and the "make" portion of the jack is not making,
2) the speaker voice coil has been zapped by a bad driver load, during
my fiasco, or 3) the wiring to the internal speaker is broken. Since the
external jack works fine, I have to believe that the drivers are loaded
correctly, the BIOS settings are correct, and the onboard circuitry is
working well.

Mike

Thor

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor:
>
> I have an IBM 6862 from hell. When I first began working on it, the
> internal speaker worked fine. It was essential to reinstall Windows
> 98SE, which went well. When I installed the Crystal sound drivers, they
> installed twice, but the sound worked. As an exercise, I decided to try
> to get rid of the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. Somewhere
> along the way, the internal speaker stopped working. The sound is on the
> motherboard, and the sound works from the external jack; however, no
> speaker sound. The way the speaker is wired into the motherboard, I
> cannot unplug it and try a new speaker. I may have to remove the speaker
> to substitute.
>
> My question is, can you think of a reason that the internal speaker is
> not working EXCEPT the obvious, such as 1) the external jack disconnects
> the internal speaker, and the "make" portion of the jack is not making,

I'm not intimately familiar with that model of IBM by name, so I'm not too
sure about that, but usually the motherboard's system speaker connection is
independent of the other digital sound hardware, and should work regardless.

> 2) the speaker voice coil has been zapped by a bad driver load, during
> my fiasco,

No. Thats not even possible.

> or 3) the wiring to the internal speaker is broken.

or the speaker itself has failed. If the speaker is mounted on the board
itself, it's probably a cheap piezo speaker, and I've seen those fail many
times.

Since the
> external jack works fine, I have to believe that the drivers are loaded
> correctly, the BIOS settings are correct, and the onboard circuitry is
> working well.

I wouldn't worry about it much if everything else works.

Plato

mcp6453 wrote:

> I have an IBM 6862 from hell. When I first began working on it, the
> internal speaker worked fine. It was essential to reinstall Windows
> 98SE, which went well. When I installed the Crystal sound drivers, they
> installed twice, but the sound worked. As an exercise, I decided to try
> to get rid of the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. Somewhere

As an aside, sometimes it's no bother to live with the yellow thinggies
if all works OK.
ie sometimes they are cosmetic and you can get yourself in a bind my
meddling.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/