Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > reinstalling windows

reinstalling windows

DVRK

Hi,

How would I reinstall Win98se without a cd? I've done it before, but I can't
recall how I did it.
I have a Compaq presario, btw.

Thanks!

jtw

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:02:11 GMT, "DVRK"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How would I reinstall Win98se without a cd? I've done it before, but I can't
>recall how I did it.
>I have a Compaq presario, btw.
>
>Thanks!

Where are the install files if you are using a CD?

In the past I have booted with a floppy to install network drivers.
Then format the drive and copy the win98 files across the network to
the newly formated drive. Once the files are copied, run setup.
Has worked great for me in the past.

jtw

--
UsenetRocket.com
http://www.UsenetRocket.com

mcp6453

DVRK wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How would I reinstall Win98se without a cd? I've done it before, but I can't
> recall how I did it.
> I have a Compaq presario, btw.
>
> Thanks!

You must have access to CAB files. They are often at
c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\win98. You will also need your program
key, which you can get from the registry
(HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\pr oductkey) or with a
utility that reads such information from the registry, such as AIDA32
(http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32). If you save the code
below as a VBS file, it will give you the info:

===== Begin VBS Script =====
'Win9xProductKey.vbs - Get Product Key from Registry. Option to print.
'Bill James - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - rev 18 Oct 1999
pk =
WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\ currentversion\productkey")
pkf = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2) & "\pk.txt"
Set f = fso.CreateTextFile(pkf,True)
f.WriteLine(pk)
f.Close
AskPrt = MsgBox("Product Key is " & pk & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "Do you want
to print it?",36)
If AskPrt = 6 Then WshShell.Run "notepad /p " & pkf,2,1
fso.DeleteFile(pkf)
===== End VBS Script =====

Look in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder. You should see all the cab
files and setup.exe that is used to get the reinstall going. Boot to a
floppy, change to that directory and run setup.exe.

"DVRK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nYpHb.6895$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Hi,
>
> How would I reinstall Win98se without a cd? I've done it before, but I

can't
> recall how I did it.
> I have a Compaq presario, btw.
>
> Thanks!

DVRK

<Sarge> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Look in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder. You should see all the cab
> files and setup.exe that is used to get the reinstall going. Boot to a
> floppy, change to that directory and run setup.exe.

So what does it mean if I ran the setup.exe that was in the cabs folder,
without booting to a floopy? It appeared to reinstall just by doing that.