Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Backup recorded to CD-R can't be read off ANY type of CD player.

Backup recorded to CD-R can't be read off ANY type of CD player.

George

I am desperate to try and retrieve important data from my backup that
I made.

I recorded everything I needed prior to a drive reformat, and burned
it to a CD-R and CD-RW disk just in case using an HP recorder and
adaptec software. I viewed each compledted disk and saw approx.
300meg of files and thought every was cool! When I tried to copy back
to new system I was horrified to find that I can't open or copy any
files from the disks using.

I have tried the following:
-no success with duplicating the disk using copy software!
-no success with trying several different computers and/or cd-roms or
burners!
-no success with different OS's!
-no success trying to finalize the CD's using original software - but
maybe I am doing it wrong.

Any suggestions out there.
If someone can help with this matter I will gladly pay them out of
sheer gratitude as I have very important family pics I need to
retrieve before my wife strangles me

Thanks to all.

TrentŠ

On 27 Dec 2003 08:41:04 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (George) wrote:

>I am desperate to try and retrieve important data from my backup that
>I made.
>
> I recorded everything I needed prior to a drive reformat, and burned
>it to a CD-R and CD-RW disk just in case using an HP recorder and
>adaptec software. I viewed each compledted disk and saw approx.
>300meg of files and thought every was cool! When I tried to copy back
>to new system I was horrified to find that I can't open or copy any
>files from the disks using.
>
>I have tried the following:
>-no success with duplicating the disk using copy software!
>-no success with trying several different computers and/or cd-roms or
>burners!
>-no success with different OS's!
>-no success trying to finalize the CD's using original software - but
>maybe I am doing it wrong.
>
>Any suggestions out there.
>If someone can help with this matter I will gladly pay them out of
>sheer gratitude as I have very important family pics I need to
>retrieve before my wife strangles me
>
>Thanks to all.

If you ever get the data back, George, I sure wouldn't use Adaptec
again. I've never known their stuff to be very dependable...although
many others have.

That being said...

Is the complete backup on each cd?...or did they span cd's? Its
important that you use the EXACT same Adaptec version that you did
originally. Adaptec is notorious for their stuff not being backward
compatible.

What's the extension on the files that were created?

Did you do a 'backup'?...and now yer doin' a 'restore'?...thru the
program? Give us more details on exactly how yer tryin' to do the
restore. Was this a system backup?...or just some important files?

Probably more details would help, George. Let us know.

P.S. We usually charge a lot of money for this...but not around
Christmas time! lol You lucked out!!

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Drifter

>I am desperate to try and retrieve important data from my backup that
>I made.
>
> I recorded everything I needed prior to a drive reformat, and burned
>it to a CD-R and CD-RW disk just in case using an HP recorder and
>adaptec software. I viewed each compledted disk and saw approx.
>300meg of files and thought every was cool! When I tried to copy back
>to new system I was horrified to find that I can't open or copy any
>files from the disks using.
>
>I have tried the following:
>-no success with duplicating the disk using copy software!
>-no success with trying several different computers and/or cd-roms or
>burners!
>-no success with different OS's!
>-no success trying to finalize the CD's using original software - but
>maybe I am doing it wrong.
>
>Any suggestions out there.
>If someone can help with this matter I will gladly pay them out of
>sheer gratitude as I have very important family pics I need to
>retrieve before my wife strangles me
>
>Thanks to all.

Hrmmm, maybe try CD Data Rescue
http://www.naltech.com/
I used it to recover data from a de-laminating CD before the whole
thing came apart.

Drifter