Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dial-Up connection accelerator

Reply
Thread Tools

Dial-Up connection accelerator

 
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2003
dialup connection accelerators aren't hardware devices. They are services
that work over a standard ISP and use proxy servers and graphic compression
to reduce page load-in times. They do not affect normal file downloads, just
web browsing. If all you do is webpage browsing, it may be worth it, but
picture quality is reduced on the pages, so be prepared for that. Otherwise,
they are a waste of time.



"T.C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsk54j$1vu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
> From people who actually have and do use it because it works.
> Looking for more bang for my buck!
>
> Thanks
> Ted
>
> If your e-mailing me be sure to remove the nospam before mailtag.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
NightSky 421
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2003
"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> dialup connection accelerators aren't hardware devices. They are services
> that work over a standard ISP and use proxy servers and graphic

compression
> to reduce page load-in times. They do not affect normal file downloads,

just
> web browsing. If all you do is webpage browsing, it may be worth it, but
> picture quality is reduced on the pages, so be prepared for that.

Otherwise,
> they are a waste of time.
>



My ISP offered me something called the "Propel Accelerator" for my dial-up
account a few months ago and they claimed that my connection would be up to
five times faster with it. However, when I questioned them further about
it, it was apparently only for the benefit of loading web pages and not for
actual downloads. I know, wishful thinking on my part <grin>, but I decided
that it wasn't worth the $6.95 (Canadian) per month that they wanted for the
service. If what you say is true about the reduced picture quality (which I
don't doubt), then I'm even more glad that I didn't sign up.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
V W Wall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2003
"T.C." wrote:
>
> Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
> From people who actually have and do use it because it works.
> Looking for more bang for my buck!


More bang for the buck vs TNSTAAFL (There's no such thing as a free lunch.)

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(Microsoft programmer's manual.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
eminemfan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2003
Dialup accelerators suck. They fvcked my connection. Dont get one dog.
"V W Wall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "T.C." wrote:
> >
> > Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
> > From people who actually have and do use it because it works.
> > Looking for more bang for my buck!

>
> More bang for the buck vs TNSTAAFL (There's no such thing as a free

lunch.)
>
> Virg Wall
> --
> A foolish consistency is the
> hobgoblin of little minds,........
> Ralph Waldo Emerson
> (Microsoft programmer's manual.)



 
Reply With Quote
 
T.C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2003
Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
From people who actually have and do use it because it works.
Looking for more bang for my buck!

Thanks
Ted

If your e-mailing me be sure to remove the nospam before mailtag.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (T.C.) wrote in news:bsk54j$1vu$1
@news01.cit.cornell.edu:

> Looking to purchase an Internet Dial-Up connection accelerator.
> From people who actually have and do use it because it works.
> Looking for more bang for my buck!
>
> Thanks
> Ted
>
> If your e-mailing me be sure to remove the nospam before mailtag.com


http://www.5star-shareware.com/Inter...li-dialup.html

I used that on cable connection with Win2k. I did notice a speed-up on Web
page loads. Also, a constant load of a movie trailer at Movies.com and
others, instead of the continuous stop and start motion of viewing the
trailer.

Downloads became a little more continuos as well.

Just my two cents

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Accelerator" Technique for Dial-Up Connection Brad Computer Information 4 03-27-2007 06:12 AM
Re: Integrating Download Accelerator into Firefox? gwtc Firefox 1 12-14-2005 05:14 AM
Integrating Download Accelerator into Firefox? Teh Suck Firefox 0 12-13-2005 02:59 AM
Web Accelerator for Firefox? JMI Firefox 3 07-11-2005 02:55 AM
Cisco 515 - VPN accelerator card R.Buijsse Cisco 13 01-30-2004 06:40 PM



Advertisments