Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > XP hangs during install.

XP hangs during install.

spy

Hello again,
Finally got the new computer running, ended up being a bad
power supply. Now we have a new problem, Windows XP hangs during
install. We partitioned a 120GB hard drive into 5 partitions and are
trying to install XP on drive C. The install went great until the
first restart and just hangs there. Once in awhile we get a blue
error screen, sometimes it just hangs at the Starting Windows screen.
Then once or twice we receive and error reading the partition
information. Now when we reboot it goes into setup and hangs about 3
steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
Initializing disk 0 etc...

Any ideas,
TIA

Duane Arnold

daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:ikupuvgs5vsm56kah47kd7cfcncarqnfd4@
4ax.com:

> Hello again,
> Finally got the new computer running, ended up being a bad
> power supply. Now we have a new problem, Windows XP hangs during
> install. We partitioned a 120GB hard drive into 5 partitions and are
> trying to install XP on drive C. The install went great until the
> first restart and just hangs there. Once in awhile we get a blue
> error screen, sometimes it just hangs at the Starting Windows screen.
> Then once or twice we receive and error reading the partition
> information. Now when we reboot it goes into setup and hangs about 3
> steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
> load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
> It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
> Initializing disk 0 etc...
>
> Any ideas,
> TIA

The suggestion is to dump all the partitions and just make one that
covers the entire <C>. Also, are you taking the *recovery* path at this
point? If you're taking the recovery path, there is nothing to recover
from and you should be taking the full install path.

You should look at *hardening* the XP O/S from attack from the Internet,
once you get it running.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

Duane

DeMoN LaG

daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:ikupuvgs5vsm56kah47kd7cfcncarqnfd4@
4ax.com:

> steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
> load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
> It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
> Initializing disk 0 etc...

A) Remove all disk partitions to start with.
B) If you are saying it booted successfully into the installer and then
hung, it could be two things that immediately come to mind:
Hard drive is flaky (check with manufacturer's utility)
or
Restart the install, and when it says "Press F6 to load third party...",
press F7. Not F6, F7. This will let you tell Windows that you are not an
ACPI Uniprocessor machine, but a "Standard PC". I had a Windows 2000
server install that did the same thing that ended up with me wasting two
days of my time swapping RAM, hard drives, NICs, motherboards, CPUs,
everything, until I finally changed it to Standard PC which fixed the
problem.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

hyenapower

Who is we. Why not you. Are you with a group of human beings? Probably, I
don't have any peers.
news:Xns945DE5E2DC2A7notmwnotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
> daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote in news:ikupuvgs5vsm56kah47kd7cfcncarqnfd4@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > Hello again,
> > Finally got the new computer running, ended up being a bad
> > power supply. Now we have a new problem, Windows XP hangs during
> > install. We partitioned a 120GB hard drive into 5 partitions and are
> > trying to install XP on drive C. The install went great until the
> > first restart and just hangs there. Once in awhile we get a blue
> > error screen, sometimes it just hangs at the Starting Windows screen.
> > Then once or twice we receive and error reading the partition
> > information. Now when we reboot it goes into setup and hangs about 3
> > steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
> > load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
> > It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
> > Initializing disk 0 etc...
> >
> > Any ideas,
> > TIA

> The suggestion is to dump all the partitions and just make one that
> covers the entire <C>. Also, are you taking the *recovery* path at this
> point? If you're taking the recovery path, there is nothing to recover
> from and you should be taking the full install path.
>
> You should look at *hardening* the XP O/S from attack from the Internet,
> once you get it running.
>
> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php
>
> Duane

Trent©

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 03:33:08 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

>Hello again,
> Finally got the new computer running, ended up being a bad
>power supply. Now we have a new problem, Windows XP hangs during
>install. We partitioned a 120GB hard drive into 5 partitions and are
>trying to install XP on drive C. The install went great until the
>first restart and just hangs there. Once in awhile we get a blue
>error screen, sometimes it just hangs at the Starting Windows screen.
>Then once or twice we receive and error reading the partition
>information. Now when we reboot it goes into setup and hangs about 3
>steps into setup. We get past the part where it asks if we want to
>load RAID driver, Agree to Terms and the screen to choose recovery.
>It then hangs at a screen that has Windows Setup and on the bottom
>Initializing disk 0 etc...

My guess is that your problem never WAS the power supply.

My guess is that you have a bad hard drive...or a bad IDE cable. If
the drive is new, I'd go with a bad IDE cable.

Try a different cable.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent