Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Linksys BEFSR11 & pcAnywhere?

Linksys BEFSR11 & pcAnywhere?

Tim Harden

Anyone know how to configure this router to allow a PC behind the
firewall/router to be a host for pcAnywhere?

Thanks!

Tim...

Duane Arnold

"Tim Harden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsQZGb.42054
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Anyone know how to configure this router to allow a PC behind the
> firewall/router to be a host for pcAnywhere?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim...

You go to Google and search on *What are the pcanywhere Ports?*. You'll be
looking for what is the *inbound* port that must be open on the router
using *Port Forwarding*, which that info can be obtained at www.linksys.com
Support Knowledge Base.

You open that port. You'll need a host based FW on the machine with rules
set to only allow specified IP(s) reach the machine on the port, because a
NAT router cannot stop unsolicited inbound on *Port Forwarded* ports(s).
That's because the simple NAT router doesn't have a *firewall*. It has SPI,
if that and has FW like features.

The NAT router you and I have meets the specs below.

An appliance that has a real FW will meet the spaec. below.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...rewall_do.html

You want an appliance with a *real* FW you'll be looking at the WatchGuard
Firebox III SOHO 6 line that starts out at about $400.

The NAT router will not protect if the machine is in the DMZ as well.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...arding-dmz.asp

Duane

Spam-A-Ram-A

I think it's ports 5610 & 5611, check the PCA faq page to make sure if that
doesn't work.

"Tim Harden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsQZGb.42054$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Anyone know how to configure this router to allow a PC behind the
> firewall/router to be a host for pcAnywhere?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim...

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:14:14 GMT, "Spam-A-Ram-A"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think it's ports 5610 & 5611, check the PCA faq page to make sure if that
>doesn't work.

5631 and 5632 in the server I use, Ver 10. DIfferent version use
different ports. I think an older version uses 1801 and 1802.

-sw

Spam-A-Ram-A

Oops, you're right of course, it's been awhile I use TightVNC now. Price
sure was right, just wish I didn't have to keep an FTP server running on the
side in case I need to xfer files...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...