Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > RamTurbo???

RamTurbo???

Robert Baer

Anyone with real experience on using this program?
Any of it true?

DeMoN LaG

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Anyone with real experience on using this program?
> Any of it true?

Nope, all lies. No program can reclaim memory that has leaked. The
program works by faking a demand for lots and lots of memory. Windows
swaps almost everything it can to the swap file, including the leaked
bytes, and then you get **** performance for a few minutes while the stuff
you really need gets swapped back in.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

derek / nul

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:11:00 GMT, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone with real experience on using this program?
> Any of it true?

I have spent a lot of time trying to prove that it works as suggested, I don't
see any difference.

Derek

Robert Baer

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Anyone with real experience on using this program?
> > Any of it true?

> Nope, all lies. No program can reclaim memory that has leaked. The
> program works by faking a demand for lots and lots of memory. Windows
> swaps almost everything it can to the swap file, including the leaked
> bytes, and then you get **** performance for a few minutes while the stuff
> you really need gets swapped back in.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

I did not believe the bit about memory leaks.
Please forgive me, i do not know the exact definitionof a "memory
leak".
Is it the following?
Say i allocate 3 different sized blocks of RAM, released the "middle"
block, and then attempt to allocate a new block of that same size, it
will not be in the same place because itwillnot fit.
And then i de-allocate all of that, and find that i have even less
than at any stage of the mentioned process.
Almost like a fragmented hard drive, where the first file sectors get
lost..

Robert Baer

derek / nul wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:11:00 GMT, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyone with real experience on using this program?
> > Any of it true?

> I have spent a lot of time trying to prove that it works as suggested, I don't
> see any difference.
>
> Derek

Thanks to both of you; i was hoping that it might allow my programs to
use more than 2Gbytes of RAM.

Spajky«

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone with real experience on using this program?

I tried a bunch of them, but usually are useless.
But I found usefull RAMpage for myself, it shows me in tray the
ammount of free ram since I have set with 256Mb ram & W98seLiTE
& defragments me Ram data & cleans it up when memory leaks occur even
if I have set in the registry to always unload *.dll-s from memory
when using problematic progs; I mostly defragment ram manually
clicking on that tray icon before loading a huge picture to edit or so
....& swap file in sistem properties to only 1Mb set on another
drive...

it helps me a bit & so works for me, but this is the only proggy that
I found useful, all others are IMHO ... (you know what...)

but I also have settings like this:

setting in a sistem ini under

[386Enh]
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
PageBuffers=32
DMABufferSize=64
PerVMFiles=200
PagingDrive=x: (letter refers where the swap file is located)
MaxPagingFileSize=1024
MinPagingFileSize=0

[vcache]
NameCache=2048
MinFileCache=32768
MaxFileCache=49152
chunksize=4096

(yes only 1Mb of swap file! not to disable it cause some progs do not
like that)

Try this & see if it suitable for you ... & yep, it┬┤s a FREEware!

-- Regards, MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

DeMoN LaG

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Almost like a fragmented hard drive, where the first file sectors get
> lost..

No. It is like this:
I write a program. It allocates a few arrays of characters, let's say it
takes 100 KB of RAM for this. The program loses track of it, and Windows
doesn't realize what program owns it (as in, the program called a Windows
function to create and manage it), so Windows doesn't know the program is
not using it. The program exits and doesn't clean up after itself, so now
that 100 KB of RAM is permanently in use by nothing. Thus, the memory
"leaked"

--

"Spajky«" wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:11:00 GMT, Robert Baer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyone with real experience on using this program?

> I tried a bunch of them, but usually are useless.
> But I found usefull RAMpage for myself, it shows me in tray the
> ammount of free ram since I have set with 256Mb ram & W98seLiTE
> & defragments me Ram data & cleans it up when memory leaks occur even
> if I have set in the registry to always unload *.dll-s from memory
> when using problematic progs; I mostly defragment ram manually
> clicking on that tray icon before loading a huge picture to edit or so
> ...& swap file in sistem properties to only 1Mb set on another
> drive...
>
> it helps me a bit & so works for me, but this is the only proggy that
> I found useful, all others are IMHO ... (you know what...)
>
> but I also have settings like this:
>
> setting in a sistem ini under
>
> [386Enh]
> ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
> PageBuffers=32
> DMABufferSize=64
> PerVMFiles=200
> PagingDrive=x: (letter refers where the swap file is located)
> MaxPagingFileSize=1024
> MinPagingFileSize=0
>
> [vcache]
> NameCache=2048
> MinFileCache=32768
> MaxFileCache=49152
> chunksize=4096
>
> (yes only 1Mb of swap file! not to disable it cause some progs do not
> like that)
>
> Try this & see if it suitable for you ... & yep, it┬┤s a FREEware!
>
> -- Regards, MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
> & visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
> Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
> E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

????
In Win98 SE, I have tried to add MinFileCache and MaxFileCache
statemente under vcache using MSconfig, and i get the pencil icon;
meaning the statements are ignored by the system
How the heck did you get vcache to accept anything?

DeMoN LaG

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FE93766.FBBF6374
@earthlink.net:

> In Win98 SE, I have tried to add MinFileCache and MaxFileCache
> statemente under vcache using MSconfig, and i get the pencil icon;
> meaning the statements are ignored by the system
> How the heck did you get vcache to accept anything?

Don't use MSConfig, try just opening the file in notepad and adding the
lines.

BTW, do you know how much I laugh when people "defragment" their RAM? A
hard disk needs defragmenting, as a head has to be repositioned to read
data that is not contiguous. Unless Spajiky has got some RAM with moving
parts, I don't see how defragmenting RAM to save what would amount to a max
of about 20 nanoseconds if the stuff was "fragmented" in memory is worth
anything.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

DeMoN LaG

Spajky« <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> But I found usefull RAMpage for myself, it shows me in tray the
> ammount of free ram since I have set with 256Mb ram & W98seLiTE
> & defragments me Ram data & cleans it up when memory leaks occur even

There is no possible way under any version of Windows to clean up a
memory leak by an application. None. Anyone who thinks there is does
not understand what "memory leak" means. These programs have a half ass
solution that if they demand 200 megs of RAM, windows will swap out all
the stuff that isn't being used (including the leaked memory), thereby
freeing it up. But it isn't freed, now instead of taking space in RAM
(where it would be swapped out if needed anyway), it is sitting in the
swap file, Windows still considers it allocated and the memory is still
in use.

> if I have set in the registry to always unload *.dll-s from memory

Why? Windows unloads these on it's own when the RAM they are occupying
is needed. Forcing them to be unloaded immediately wastes CPU time
unloading them when there is no reason to, and if you immediately need
them again (close program, re-open), they have to be reloaded into memory
again, when they should not have been removed in the first place.

> when using problematic progs; I mostly defragment ram manually

Defragmenting RAM is a myth, it accomplishes nothing. RAM is solid
state, and has no moving parts, the max time you would save by
defragmenting RAM is a few nanoseconds. I don't understand how a program
can even claim to defragment RAM. There is no way a program can know
what memory module a piece of memory is in. It doesn't know the column
or row it is in, it knows nothing. The only thing that does is the
memory controller in the northbridge (or on the CPU in the AMD64
scenario). How does the program know it didn't just take two pieces of
memory that were on different modules and could be accessed
simultaneously and stuck them next to each other on the same module,
meaning that it now takes two read operations to get both pieces of data?
It doesn't.

> clicking on that tray icon before loading a huge picture to edit or so
> ...& swap file in sistem properties to only 1Mb set on another
> drive...

Another drive, or another partition on the same drive? The former is a
good idea, the latter wastes performance. Also, setting a 1 MB swap file
is pointless, since I'm assuming you have it set at 1 MB max. Are you
really hurting for disk space so badly that you can't set a min of 10 MB
and leave the max uncapped and let Windows manage it? So many people
these days come up with asinine schemes that they think make Windows
better at managing RAM, and everyone appears to consider themselves an
expert, but most people just randomly repeat BS they heard on a website
and do dumb things like set up 1 MB max swap files not understanding that
"max" means if Windows needs to swap out 1,025KB of stuff and you have a
1 MB max on the swap file, either your program or your entire system will
crash.

No matter how much RAM is in a system, there is never a reason to disable
or inhibit the swap file. Despite having 512 megs of RAM in this
machine, and 338 megs of that memory either unallocated or being used in
the system cache, I still have ~20 megs of swap file usage of stuff that
Windows simply does not need to have around. If you don't have 50 megs
of HD space to spare, you need a larger disk.