Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Defective CD ROM Drive

Defective CD ROM Drive

mcp6453

I seem to encounter a LOT of defectice CD ROM drives. Has anyone had any
success repairing them? It would appear that there is not much that can
be done other than cleaning lenses. They are so cheap that it's not
practically to repair them, but just in case someone has found a
"typical" problem that is readily addressed, I thought I would ask.

Thor

The only problem worth the time to fix is lens cleaning.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Thor wrote:

> The only problem worth the time to fix is lens cleaning.
>
> ..
> "mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I seem to encounter a LOT of defectice CD ROM drives. Has anyone had any
> > success repairing them? It would appear that there is not much that can
> > be done other than cleaning lenses. They are so cheap that it's not
> > practically to repair them, but just in case someone has found a
> > "typical" problem that is readily addressed, I thought I would ask.

Do you often find them in need of cleaning? I have never cleaned one and
had it start working.

Thor

My old Yamaha burner stopped burning CDs reliably. Started throwing a lot of
coasters, or other drives had big-time problems reading any discs burned on
the unit. I took the opportunity to just replace it with a faster burner,
but later I took my Yamaha apart and saw that the lens had a nice, thick
coat of dust on it. Cleaned it off, and it works like new.