Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard drive formatting

Hard drive formatting

Phil

Please help. I have an 80gig HD in my computer (win98se) but only 60 gig is
recognised. I have heard of FDISK but I dont really understand how to do it.
Also will that screw up everything I have on my computer?

philo

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fe6d4cb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please help. I have an 80gig HD in my computer (win98se) but only 60 gig

is
> recognised. I have heard of FDISK but I dont really understand how to do

it.
> Also will that screw up everything I have on my computer?

First off, make sure the bios is recognizing the drive correctly...
if so, you probably partitioned the drive with the older version of
fdisk...which
has a problem with drives over 64 gig

You can get the newer version of fdisk from either microsoft or from using a
winME bootdisk
(as you can get from www.bootdisk.com )

What you may be able to do is run fdisk and create a logical drive to
reclaim the rest of the space on your
drive *caution* do not delete your current (primary) partition or all
data will be lost!