Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IBM Discussion Groups

IBM Discussion Groups

mcp6453

Last year, IBM had newsgroups or discussion groups on their web site for
questions regarding their branded PCs. I cannot find them. Does anyone
know if they have been discontinued? They were a WONDERFUL resource, not
only because of the other readers, but also because the IBM guys
frequented the groups and responded with excellent advice. If they're
still there, I'd appreciate someone posting a direct link.

mcp6453

mcp6453 wrote:

> Last year, IBM had newsgroups or discussion groups on their web site for
> questions regarding their branded PCs. I cannot find them. Does anyone
> know if they have been discontinued? They were a WONDERFUL resource, not
> only because of the other readers, but also because the IBM guys
> frequented the groups and responded with excellent advice. If they're
> still there, I'd appreciate someone posting a direct link.

Just found my answer. My comments follow:

------------------------------

What happened to discussion forums?
Updated 8 November 2003

Earlier this year, IBM proudly launched a completely redesigned Personal
Computing Support Web site, which features improved task-based
navigation and enhanced functions to make it easier for you to find the
information you need, thus helping to save you time and keep you
productive. It is IBM's goal to make sure that all future updates to the
site do the same thing: improve your efficiency so you can get back to
business faster.

In reviewing the current PCD Support Web site, it became apparent that
the Discussion Forums were not the best way to deliver technical support
solutions to you. Instead, we have decided to focus on enhanced
functions like our multiple file download feature, improved warranty
lookup, automated solutions, and our new troubleshooting feature.

Since the Discussion Forums no longer provide an efficient means to
communicate solutions, we removed this application in November 2003 so
we could devote our resources to making our site even more effective and
convenient for you.

------------------------------

Okay, so I have an IBM 6862-Q8U, which is out of warranty. Normally I
could go into the IBM newgroup, post a question, and get an answer
rather promptly. Here's my problem. The CPU in this unit is bad. It came
with a 650 MHZ PIII. Since it has a 100 MHz bus, it has a 6.5
multiplier. The motherboard markings only show multipliers to 4.0 for a
100 MHZ FSB. The specs on IBM's web site show that this unit was shipped
with a 650 MHz processor. I need to install a 500 MHz processor. What
are the proper switch settings? Normally there is an errata or follow up
manual page that shows configurations for the later versions of the
motherboard.

If I don't find an answer to this question, it will be because IBM
doesn't care about Customer Support for a computer after it goes out of
warranty. We have one customer with over 100 IBM PCs, based on our
recommendation. Until now, I have recommended IBM and Dell exclusively
to our customers. Unless Dell has abandoned its customers like IBM has
apparently done, I will recommend Dell exclusively from this point
forward. If this information is available, I retract my hostility
towards IBM.

If I have overlooked any other options, please let me know.

mcp6453

mcp6453 wrote:

> If I have overlooked any other options, please let me know.

Okay, so I take back SOME of what I said. From a 600 page manual I found
on IBM's web site: "Pentium III processors do not require speed
settings. For Pentium III processors, you can ignore the speed
settings."

I still have major reservations recommending computers with live support
that ends at the end of the one-year warranty period.

DeMoN LaG

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Okay, so I take back SOME of what I said. From a 600 page manual I found
> on IBM's web site: "Pentium III processors do not require speed
> settings. For Pentium III processors, you can ignore the speed
> settings."

Yes, the Pentium 3 is multiplier locked, so no matter what the jumpers say,
the CPU will always have a multiplier of 5 (assuming it's a 100 mhz FSB
P3). You can't change it, and don't need to worry about it.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)