Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New Computer Almost Ready For Big Switch On :)

New Computer Almost Ready For Big Switch On :)

John

Hello.

My new system is pretty much all put together and ready for the big
switch on. I just have a couple of quick questions before I do
though. I have put the long system list at the bottom in case you
need to know what I've got.

On Board Audio

I've checked on the Mobo, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere for me
to stick the Digital Audio cable from the CD. The Mobo does have
onboard sound so I thought it would have this. It's not a problem
though because I plan on adding the Sound Blaster Platinum Card from
my old system, as a few people have told me their's work with XP. I
just wondered though, If I do add the SB in, would all the sound ports
already part of the Mobo still function alongside the SB, or would I
just have to use one or the other, or would they all work together?

Bios/Setup Settings

If anyone else already has an ABIT NF7-S or has used/installed them, I
just wondered what the best settings would be for this? I also have
the AMD Barton 2500, and would like to overclock this a tad but not
too much that it would become unstable or too hot. What is the
maximum you would overclock one of these to, and what is the level
that you would recommend not going past?

Thanks for any help on this. I suppose I better get cracking and
formatting the HD. It will probably take all night to do 120GBs

I'm expecting this to fly at start up especially with all the memory
so if I need to alter the Bios I'm going to have to be quick on the
button I expect.

Cheers

John

System Info:

Newly purchased

ABIT NF7-S Mobo.
TwinMos 1GB PC3200 Memory
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro AIW
Coolermaster Aero V CPU Cooler with control in front bay
AMD Barton 2500 CPU.
Samsung 52/52/32 CD-RW
Teac 3.5" Floppy.
Yep I decided to get a 3.5" drive just for the convenience in case I
ever need to load drivers etc that come with a disk.

Western Digital Caviar SATA 120GB 10,000rpm 8MB HDD
Windows XP Pro
Chieftec Dragon Midi Tower Case (big blue mother! this thing is huge,
4x 5.25" bays and 6x 3.5 with 2 visible. The CD audio cable nearly
didn't reach all the way to the board from the drive. I will have to
get some of those new rounded cable to make it more tidy inside I may
eventually get one of those side panels with the window just to be a
flash git and have all the glowing UVd cables

Things I hope to strip from my current PC to add in:

Pioneer DVD-Rom multi-region
Creative SoundBlaster Live! Platinum.
Quantum 20.5 GB ATA66? HDD
IBM 40 GB ATA100 or 133 I thinks HDD

Other things I'll keep:

Cambridge Soundworks EAX speakers
External USB Zoom Modem
15" Adi Monitor (I'll be using this for a little while longer before I
get a 17"+ LCD. Might even get a LCD WS TV that's about 22 to 26" and
just use that.

Things I'll probably chuck in a draw or flog for 50 cents on eBay:

AMD K6-2 500 Mhz Cpu
384 MB Memory PC100 I think
Matrox Marvel G400 Graphics Card
Panasonic 3.5" drive
Firewire Card
Network Card
(God knows what else is in there

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> My new system is pretty much all put together and ready for the big
> switch on. I just have a couple of quick questions before I do
> though. I have put the long system list at the bottom in case you
> need to know what I've got.
>
> On Board Audio
>
> I've checked on the Mobo, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere for me
> to stick the Digital Audio cable from the CD.

Not unusual. Most motherboards with onboard sound only offer analog audio
cable connections. This is something you should have checked for prior to
purchasing the board.

> The Mobo does have
> onboard sound so I thought it would have this. It's not a problem
> though because I plan on adding the Sound Blaster Platinum Card from
> my old system, as a few people have told me their's work with XP. I
> just wondered though, If I do add the SB in, would all the sound ports
> already part of the Mobo still function alongside the SB, or would I
> just have to use one or the other, or would they all work together?

The best thing would be to disable the onboard audio first, and uninstall
the drivers from windowsXP.

> Bios/Setup Settings
>
> If anyone else already has an ABIT NF7-S or has used/installed them, I
> just wondered what the best settings would be for this? I also have
> the AMD Barton 2500, and would like to overclock this a tad but not
> too much that it would become unstable or too hot. What is the
> maximum you would overclock one of these to, and what is the level
> that you would recommend not going past?

Don't be in a hurry to overclock right away. Get it working at the
normal/auto settings first.

> Thanks for any help on this. I suppose I better get cracking and
> formatting the HD. It will probably take all night to do 120GBs

Actually it should only take a few minutes at most. Especially if you allow
WindowsXP to do it for you during setup.

Windows Vista SP1 almost ready Ian Front Page News 0 01-14-2008 03:06 PM
[ANN] 0.3.13.4 Pre-Release -- Almost Ready Zed Shaw Ruby 1 08-08-2006 10:57 AM
Access is denied: 'Interop.ADODB' error - almost ready to jump off the balcony! Dave E ASP .Net 1 12-22-2005 02:42 PM
almost ready to give up!!! David C++ 4 05-18-2004 06:36 AM
Site almost ready - please comment if you have some time Joenco HTML 2 07-03-2003 02:20 AM

Advertisments