Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Monitor Shadowing Problem

Monitor Shadowing Problem

m2424l

Can anyone give me some direction. My monitor has horizontal 'Shadowing'
going across the screen when I open different programs. I tried adjusting
the refresh rate, it is set to 'Optimal' which turns out to be the best of
all the settings.

Monitor is about 2 years old
Is the monitor going bad or is it a software setting.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Thor

describe the problem in more detail if you can. Where does the shadowing
occur exactly? I ask, because from your initial description, it could be the
video card. I've seen some video cards failing that caused shadows to
stretch from the right side of text, and icons on the screen.

"m2424l" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone give me some direction. My monitor has horizontal 'Shadowing'
> going across the screen when I open different programs. I tried adjusting
> the refresh rate, it is set to 'Optimal' which turns out to be the best of
> all the settings.
>
> Monitor is about 2 years old
> Is the monitor going bad or is it a software setting.
>
> Any advice appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Jerry G.

First try the display card, or another known good monitor on the machine.

If you have a shadow effect, this can be from some failed components in the
monitor that are causing a low frequency response fault in the video
amplifier sections. Also, a defective CRT can cause this effect.

If you can prove that the monitor is defective, you will have to take it in
for an estimate. You can also take it straight off to a service centre to
have it verified for you. You may find that the cost of servicing it, may
be too expensive in relation to replacing it.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"m2424l" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Can anyone give me some direction. My monitor has horizontal 'Shadowing'
going across the screen when I open different programs. I tried adjusting
the refresh rate, it is set to 'Optimal' which turns out to be the best of
all the settings.

Monitor is about 2 years old
Is the monitor going bad or is it a software setting.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

m2424l

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> describe the problem in more detail if you can. Where does the shadowing
> occur exactly? I ask, because from your initial description, it could be

the
> video card. I've seen some video cards failing that caused shadows to
> stretch from the right side of text, and icons on the screen.

Thor,
The shadowing is on the same horizontal line as text, or any image
especially once you open a window...
Thanks for your help I'll look at the video card
Brian

m2424l

Jerry, Thanks for the input I'll also try another monitor
Brian

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bs7045$4db$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First try the display card, or another known good monitor on the machine.
>
> If you have a shadow effect, this can be from some failed components in

the
> monitor that are causing a low frequency response fault in the video
> amplifier sections. Also, a defective CRT can cause this effect.
>
> If you can prove that the monitor is defective, you will have to take it

in
> for an estimate. You can also take it straight off to a service centre to
> have it verified for you. You may find that the cost of servicing it, may
> be too expensive in relation to replacing it.
>
> --
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
> WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
> Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
>

> "m2424l" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone give me some direction. My monitor has horizontal 'Shadowing'
> going across the screen when I open different programs. I tried adjusting
> the refresh rate, it is set to 'Optimal' which turns out to be the best of
> all the settings.
>
> Monitor is about 2 years old
> Is the monitor going bad or is it a software setting.
>
> Any advice appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Thor

"m2424l" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > describe the problem in more detail if you can. Where does the shadowing
> > occur exactly? I ask, because from your initial description, it could be

> the
> > video card. I've seen some video cards failing that caused shadows to
> > stretch from the right side of text, and icons on the screen.

> Thor,
> The shadowing is on the same horizontal line as text, or any image
> especially once you open a window...
> Thanks for your help I'll look at the video card
> Brian

IIRC, the early Nvidia Vanta chipset cards had a big problem with this. Lots
of early cards were made with that chipset and didn't include a heatsink on
the GPU. After awhile it burns up, and the first symptom was exactly the
weird shadows you described.

Spajky«

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:24:15 -0500, "m2424l" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The shadowing is on the same horizontal line as text, or any image
>especially once you open a window...
>Thanks for your help I'll look at the video card

check the connectors & also if you open monitor (precautions needed !)
check the contacts of the cable inside it!
This is s tipical syndrome of non-matched impedance (because of bad
contact also) ... use some contact spray to clean them ...

-- Regards, MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##