Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows 98 'Fail USB register Test"

Windows 98 'Fail USB register Test"

birtwhistle

My Dell Dimension freezes on the Windows start up screen. It can start
in sfe mode. I ran Dell diagnostics and it gives me a 'Fail' for the
'USB Register Test - USB 1' I have tried the Microsoft web site
trouble shooting page, going into the system conifiguration utility
and trying their three options and also disabled drivers under device
manager. It still only start in Safe mode though. I have been told
that one way to fix this is to upgrade to XP but it seems in safe
mode I cannot get it to recognze the CD drive so how would I upgrade
anyway?

I have also managed to disable my mouse and been unable to re enable
it. It is plugged in to the serial mouse port and the computer still
says that it did not detect a PS 2 mouse.

Any help on this would be most gratefully received.

HF

Put in a boot disk for 98 and boot to A: This will have loaded a ram drive
which advances your CD drive by a letter as well as loading drivers for it.
Now type a letter one in advance of your normal CD drive followed of course
by a colon.Press Enter to change drives. Now type 'Setup' and press enter
again
"birtwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My Dell Dimension freezes on the Windows start up screen. It can start
> in sfe mode. I ran Dell diagnostics and it gives me a 'Fail' for the
> 'USB Register Test - USB 1' I have tried the Microsoft web site
> trouble shooting page, going into the system conifiguration utility
> and trying their three options and also disabled drivers under device
> manager. It still only start in Safe mode though. I have been told
> that one way to fix this is to upgrade to XP but it seems in safe
> mode I cannot get it to recognze the CD drive so how would I upgrade
> anyway?
>
> I have also managed to disable my mouse and been unable to re enable
> it. It is plugged in to the serial mouse port and the computer still
> says that it did not detect a PS 2 mouse.
>
> Any help on this would be most gratefully received.

HF

In addition -Read the readme in the boot disk.
"birtwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My Dell Dimension freezes on the Windows start up screen. It can start
> in sfe mode. I ran Dell diagnostics and it gives me a 'Fail' for the
> 'USB Register Test - USB 1' I have tried the Microsoft web site
> trouble shooting page, going into the system conifiguration utility
> and trying their three options and also disabled drivers under device
> manager. It still only start in Safe mode though. I have been told
> that one way to fix this is to upgrade to XP but it seems in safe
> mode I cannot get it to recognze the CD drive so how would I upgrade
> anyway?
>
> I have also managed to disable my mouse and been unable to re enable
> it. It is plugged in to the serial mouse port and the computer still
> says that it did not detect a PS 2 mouse.
>
> Any help on this would be most gratefully received.

Trent©

On 20 Dec 2003 19:26:39 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (birtwhistle)
wrote:

>My Dell Dimension freezes on the Windows start up screen. It can start
>in sfe mode.

How long have you had the machine? When did it start doing this?

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: Windows 98 'Fail USB register Test"
>From: Trent© (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 12/21/03 4:39 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On 20 Dec 2003 19:26:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (birtwhistle)
>wrote:
>
>>My Dell Dimension freezes on the Windows start up screen. It can start
>>in sfe mode.

>How long have you had the machine? When did it start doing this?
>

>Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...
>
>Trent
>
>Proud member of the Roy Rogers fan club!

Who's Roy Rogers?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

~~~AllisonWonderland~~~

ArtKramr wrote:
> Who's Roy Rogers?

JC Allison:
He's half of the team of Sigfried Evans, and Roy Rogers.