Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > unplugging a digital camera from USB port

unplugging a digital camera from USB port

geralvon

I just started trying to use a Sony digital camera and installed the
Image Transfer function. Then I disconnected the scanner from the USB
port and plugged the camera's USB cable in that port. The camera then
automatically goes on. When I had transferred the picture I pulled
the camera's cable out of the USB port and got a message about the
danger of removing a "hot plug" and I should use the "hot plug icon".

I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and found
nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off before
unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's power off
before unplugging it as it goes on automatically without pressing the
power button when it is plugged in.

Thank you for your assistance.

Harold Zeckel

olfart

"geralvon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I just started trying to use a Sony digital camera and installed the
> Image Transfer function. Then I disconnected the scanner from the

USB
> port and plugged the camera's USB cable in that port. The camera

then
> automatically goes on. When I had transferred the picture I pulled
> the camera's cable out of the USB port and got a message about the
> danger of removing a "hot plug" and I should use the "hot plug

icon".

> I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
> looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and found
> nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off before
> unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's power

off
> before unplugging it as it goes on automatically without pressing

the
> power button when it is plugged in.
>
> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> Harold Zeckel

When the camera is plugged in and On there might be an icon in your
taskbar to click on before you unplug it. I had similar on a Phillips
CDRW some time ago.

geralvon

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bs0fmr$8ckqd$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> "geralvon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
> > looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and found
> > nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off before
> > unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's power

> When the camera is plugged in and On there might be an icon in your
> taskbar to click on before you unplug it. I had similar on a Phillips
> CDRW some time ago.

Thanks. I'll look for that the next time. Harold

olfart

"geralvon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<bs0fmr$8ckqd$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> > "geralvon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > > I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
> > > looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and

found
> > > nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off

before
> > > unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's

power

> > When the camera is plugged in and On there might be an icon in

your
> > taskbar to click on before you unplug it. I had similar on a

Phillips
> > CDRW some time ago.

> Thanks. I'll look for that the next time. Harold

If the icon is there a right click should bring up a window saying
something like "OK to turn off" or something similar. It was a pain to
remeber to click it when I had the Phillips-would cause a freeze or a
crash if I didn't