Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HDD size problem..help please?

HDD size problem..help please?

Pilly & Howard Gipps

Have just bought a 200gb WD HDD to use in a Firewire cabled external case
with my P4 1.8/ Gigabyte 8IDX system, which dates from April 2002.

The computer will only recognise the first 131 gb of the new drive, which
has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.

What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?

Is this a BIOS problem?

???

Most likely, make sure you have the latest bios flashed on your system. You
could use partition magic or just partition the drive to two logical drives.
"Pilly & Howard Gipps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4hIEb.58523$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have just bought a 200gb WD HDD to use in a Firewire cabled external case
> with my P4 1.8/ Gigabyte 8IDX system, which dates from April 2002.
>
> The computer will only recognise the first 131 gb of the new drive, which
> has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.
>
> What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?
>
> Is this a BIOS problem?

Thor

two things. Make sure your BIOS actually supports drives greater than
~130GB. It must support 48 bit LBA. Then, you also need an OS that supports
48bit LBA. WinXP SP1 is required for it. If your bios doesn't support it,
you can get a controller card from Promise Technologies, that will.

"Pilly & Howard Gipps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4hIEb.58523$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have just bought a 200gb WD HDD to use in a Firewire cabled external case
> with my P4 1.8/ Gigabyte 8IDX system, which dates from April 2002.
>
> The computer will only recognise the first 131 gb of the new drive, which
> has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.
>
> What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?
>
> Is this a BIOS problem?

Calvin Crumrine

Partitions affect the OS. The BIOS loads before the OS. I don't care
*how* you partition the drive-if this is a BIOS problem then it won't help.

??? wrote:
> Most likely, make sure you have the latest bios flashed on your system. You
> could use partition magic or just partition the drive to two logical drives.
> "Pilly & Howard Gipps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4hIEb.58523$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Have just bought a 200gb WD HDD to use in a Firewire cabled external case
>>with my P4 1.8/ Gigabyte 8IDX system, which dates from April 2002.
>>
>>The computer will only recognise the first 131 gb of the new drive, which
>>has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.
>>
>>What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?
>>
>>Is this a BIOS problem?

V W Wall

Pilly & Howard Gipps wrote:

> Have just bought a 200gb WD HDD to use in a Firewire cabled external case
> with my P4 1.8/ Gigabyte 8IDX system, which dates from April 2002.
>
> The computer will only recognise the first 131 gb of the new drive, which
> has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.
>
> What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?
>
> Is this a BIOS problem?

The limit at 128GiB, (~137.4GB), (268435456 sectors), is due to the
28 bit LBA's limitation. The new BIOS updates avoid this limit.

WindowsXP requires SP1, and Windows 2000 requires SP3 with 48 bit
LBA address drivers to exceed the 137GB limit.

Windows98, WindowsME, and Windows NT 4.x, are limited to 137GB
without third party device drivers.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Pilly & Howard Gipps

Thanks..must be the BIOS

"???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Most likely, make sure you have the latest bios flashed on your system.

You
> could use partition magic or just partition the drive to two logical

drives.
> "Pilly & Howard Gipps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4hIEb.58523$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Have just bought a 200gb WD HDD to use in a Firewire cabled external

case
> > with my P4 1.8/ Gigabyte 8IDX system, which dates from April 2002.
> >
> > The computer will only recognise the first 131 gb of the new drive,

which
> > has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.
> >
> > What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?
> >
> > Is this a BIOS problem?

Pilly & Howard Gipps

Thanks for the help, must be the BIOS