Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Any help would be appreciated...

Any help would be appreciated...

Dave Nurse

I've recently replaced my PIII 500 with a new AMD and laptop with high
speed. I wanted to maintain the utility of the old PIII and attempted to
upgrade with a simple NIC. The PIII did not 'plug and play' the NIC and the
machine is now near death.

The only sign of life is one long beep and three short beeps at power on and
I am told this is the BIOS trying to tell me something. The machine has no
output to the monitor, grinds away as if it is trying to load and then
powers off automatically after about 40 seconds.

I have also been told that perhaps the PCI slot I attempted to load the NIC
is disabled in BIOS and that might have been the root of the problem.

Any sound advice to bring this device back to life would be much
appreciated!!

thanks in advance and best regards,

Dave

dsr@Florence.edu

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:45:35 -0500, "Dave Nurse"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've recently replaced my PIII 500 with a new AMD and laptop with high
>speed. I wanted to maintain the utility of the old PIII and attempted to
>upgrade with a simple NIC. The PIII did not 'plug and play' the NIC and the
>machine is now near death.
>
>The only sign of life is one long beep and three short beeps at power on and
>I am told this is the BIOS trying to tell me something. The machine has no
>output to the monitor, grinds away as if it is trying to load and then
>powers off automatically after about 40 seconds.
>
>I have also been told that perhaps the PCI slot I attempted to load the NIC
>is disabled in BIOS and that might have been the root of the problem.
>
>Any sound advice to bring this device back to life would be much
>appreciated!!
>
>thanks in advance and best regards,
>
>Dave

Those beeps you hear are BIOS codes sounding out an error message.
Sometimes a system change is so drastic that the bios can not get as
far as loading the video subsystem. The beeps indicate what the
problem might be and can be found in the error message list for your
BIOS.

Since the error messages tend to be rather vague I would restore your
system back to it's original working build configuration. Even a
system that is plug and play often requires rejumpering for CPU
memory speed ratios. good luck!

Night_Seer

Dave Nurse wrote:
> I've recently replaced my PIII 500 with a new AMD and laptop with high
> speed. I wanted to maintain the utility of the old PIII and attempted
> to upgrade with a simple NIC. The PIII did not 'plug and play' the
> NIC and the machine is now near death.
>
> The only sign of life is one long beep and three short beeps at power
> on and I am told this is the BIOS trying to tell me something. The
> machine has no output to the monitor, grinds away as if it is trying
> to load and then powers off automatically after about 40 seconds.
>
> I have also been told that perhaps the PCI slot I attempted to load
> the NIC is disabled in BIOS and that might have been the root of the
> problem.
>
> Any sound advice to bring this device back to life would be much
> appreciated!!
>
> thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Dave

It could be an IRQ conflict betweent he Video Card and the NIC, First
thing I would do is remove the Network card and see if it works that
way. If ti does, then move the Network card to a different PCI slot.
If it doesn't, I would start removing uneccessary thing little by little
until it does work. I believe I heard that those particualr beeps mean
something is wrong with the Video card. Try a different video card, or
else reseat your video card and/or memory. Hope it helps.

--
Night_Seer

Trent©

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've recently replaced my PIII 500 with a new AMD and laptop with high
>speed. I wanted to maintain the utility of the old PIII and attempted to
>upgrade with a simple NIC. The PIII did not 'plug and play' the NIC and the
>machine is now near death.
>
>The only sign of life is one long beep and three short beeps at power on and
>I am told this is the BIOS trying to tell me something. The machine has no
>output to the monitor, grinds away as if it is trying to load and then
>powers off automatically after about 40 seconds.
>
>I have also been told that perhaps the PCI slot I attempted to load the NIC
>is disabled in BIOS and that might have been the root of the problem.
>
>Any sound advice to bring this device back to life would be much
>appreciated!!
>
>thanks in advance and best regards,
>
>Dave

Sounds like you bumped the video card when you put in the NIC.

Take out the video card...then reinstall it...preferrably in a
different slot.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent