Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > XP CRASH.

XP CRASH.

DRM

I need some advice.

A guy from work has given me his PC (duron 1300, 256mb )

He started to install winXP-pro and half way through, for what ever reason
he turned off the computer.
I thought it would be a case of getting a boot disc and trying again.

I can't access the bios.
It gets as far as the XP start up screen and tries to continue installing,
it says 39 mins to completion and freezes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is the worst possible scenario putting a new HD in?

Kind regards

David

mark mandel

"DRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brsepm$qtm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need some advice.
>
> A guy from work has given me his PC (duron 1300, 256mb )
>
> He started to install winXP-pro and half way through, for what ever reason
> he turned off the computer.
> I thought it would be a case of getting a boot disc and trying again.
>
> I can't access the bios.
> It gets as far as the XP start up screen and tries to continue installing,
> it says 39 mins to completion and freezes.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Is the worst possible scenario putting a new HD in?
>
> Kind regards
>
> David

Perhaps but before doing so I'd run a thorough Scandisk of the drive before
that. Might even do a diagnostic test of the drive after going to the
manufacturer website such as WD does.

Mark Mandell

Trent©

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:49:26 +0000 (UTC), "DRM"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need some advice.
>
>A guy from work has given me his PC (duron 1300, 256mb )
>
>He started to install winXP-pro and half way through, for what ever reason
>he turned off the computer.
>I thought it would be a case of getting a boot disc and trying again.
>
>I can't access the bios.
>It gets as far as the XP start up screen

When you get to this point, you've gone BEYOND the point where you'd
access the BIOS. Don't worry about gettin' into the BIOS...that
shouldn't be a major problem if yer gettin' the xp screen.

>and tries to continue installing,
>it says 39 mins to completion and freezes.

Freezes for at least 30 minutes?

>Is the worst possible scenario putting a new HD in?

WAY worstest!! lol

You can simply re-partition the hard drive first...then install the
operating system that you want.

Good luck.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent