Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How Do I Network Two PC's

How Do I Network Two PC's

news.east.earthlink.net

I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
PC's.

I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
accomplish my goal.

thanks

DH

"news.east.earthlink.net" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
> Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
> network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
> PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
> PC's.
>
> I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
> accomplish my goal.
>
> thanks

Here's a start:

Duane Arnold

news.east.earthlink.net <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
> Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
> network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
> PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
> PC's.
>
> I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
> accomplish my goal.
>
> thanks

You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50 and
up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.

You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited inbound
threats from the Internet.

You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share the
printer.

You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and share
the printer between machines, with one machine having the printer
installed with the other machine across the network.

Duane

Trent©

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:50:58 GMT, news.east.earthlink.net
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
>Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
>network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
>PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
>PC's.
>
> I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
>accomplish my goal.
>
>thanks

What Duane said!

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Calvin Crumrine

Duane Arnold wrote:

> news.east.earthlink.net <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC, running
>>Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would like to
>>network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net from both
>>PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available from both
>>PC's.
>>
>> I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
>>accomplish my goal.
>>
>>thanks

> You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
> using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
> router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50 and
> up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.
>
> You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited inbound
> threats from the Internet.
>
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>
> You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share the
> printer.
>
> You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and share
> the printer between machines, with one machine having the printer
> installed with the other machine across the network.
>
> Duane

I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but out
of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
properly. All have now gone to WinXP because of the problems.
(Personally I'd have preferred that they go the other way-back to
Win98-but couldn't convince the owners.)

I've been told that it can be done but I suspect it'd be easier to set
up the router-and you'd get NAT protection besides.

Duane Arnold

Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>> news.east.earthlink.net <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>>I ordered a new PC, with Win XP as the OS. I have an older PC,
>>>running Win 98. Given that I have cable assess to the net, I would
>>>like to network the two PC's and have simultaneous access to the net
>>>from both PC's. I would also like to have a single printer available
>>>from both PC's.
>>>
>>> I would be most appreciative of any advice given, on how to best
>>>accomplish my goal.
>>>
>>>thanks

>> You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
>> using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
>> router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50
>> and up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.
>>
>> You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited
>> inbound threats from the Internet.
>>
>> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>>
>> You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share
>> the printer.
>>
>> You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and
>> share the printer between machines, with one machine having the
>> printer installed with the other machine across the network.
>>
>> Duane

> I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
> getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but
> out of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
> properly. All have now gone to WinXP because of the problems.
> (Personally I'd have preferred that they go the other way-back to
> Win98-but couldn't convince the owners.)
>
> I've been told that it can be done but I suspect it'd be easier to set
> up the router-and you'd get NAT protection besides.

Although it's talking about some server stuff on Win 2K, NT is NT XP or
Win2K and there is no difference in the core components server or
workstation Pro or Home when it comes to the network protocols.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p/default.asp?
url=/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts_6.htm

http://www.niakwa.com/instguid/novel...microsoft_wind
ows_nt_networks.htm

I have not used a Win9'x O/S in a very long time so I cannot say for sure
if it will work but it should with NWlink IPX/SPX NETBIOS compatible and
on the Win 9'x NETBIOS over IPX/SPX. I use NWlink on the NT based
machines on my network, because wireless laptop with WEP enable cannot be
accessed or it access the other machines for File and Print Sharing.

You will want to protect ports 139 and 445 TCP the NETBios ports on
inbound with a host based FW or being being a router. If behind a router,
you may want to only allow router IP(s) to only access the machines on
those ports.

Duane

Calvin Crumrine

Duane Arnold wrote:
> Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Duane Arnold wrote:
>>

>>>news.east.earthlink.net <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>>You can save yourself a lot off trouble by just getting a router and
>>>using it as the gateway for the LAN and WAN. You can get a cheap NAT
>>>router on sale for $20 to $30 and at regular prices starting at $50
>>>and up. Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC all have good routers.
>>>
>>>You cannot beat the protection of the NAT router from unsolicited
>>>inbound threats from the Internet.
>>>
>>>http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>>>
>>>You can get a router with a print server and both machines can share
>>>the printer.
>>>
>>>You can also use MS File and Print Services between machines and
>>>share the printer between machines, with one machine having the
>>>printer installed with the other machine across the network.
>>>
>>>Duane

>>I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
>>getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but
>>out of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
>>properly. All have now gone to WinXP because of the problems.
>>(Personally I'd have preferred that they go the other way-back to
>>Win98-but couldn't convince the owners.)
>>
>>I've been told that it can be done but I suspect it'd be easier to set
>>up the router-and you'd get NAT protection besides.
>>

> Although it's talking about some server stuff on Win 2K, NT is NT XP or
> Win2K and there is no difference in the core components server or
> workstation Pro or Home when it comes to the network protocols.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p/default.asp?
> url=/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts_6.htm
>
> http://www.niakwa.com/instguid/novel...microsoft_wind
> ows_nt_networks.htm
>
> I have not used a Win9'x O/S in a very long time so I cannot say for sure
> if it will work but it should with NWlink IPX/SPX NETBIOS compatible and
> on the Win 9'x NETBIOS over IPX/SPX. I use NWlink on the NT based
> machines on my network, because wireless laptop with WEP enable cannot be
> accessed or it access the other machines for File and Print Sharing.
>
> You will want to protect ports 139 and 445 TCP the NETBios ports on
> inbound with a host based FW or being being a router. If behind a router,
> you may want to only allow router IP(s) to only access the machines on
> those ports.
>
> Duane

Haven't tried Win2K & XP-like you said, both are NT so it could work
fine. I do use NWLink on the XP machines & did use IPX/SPX NETBIOS on
the Win98 machines. No joy. I frequently got one-way networking, but
never two-way. (Weirdly, I got one-way networking both ways on different
networks. One, I got the XP machines to access the 98 ones, but the 98
machines couldn't access the XP ones. On another the 98 ones could
access the XP machines just fine but the XP machines couldn't even see
the 98 machines. Got far enough to be fairly certain that it *can* be
done, but could never cross the finish line. Finally gave up & just
moved everything to the same OS.)

Duane Arnold

> Haven't tried Win2K & XP-like you said, both are NT so it could work
> fine.

It does work on the Win 2K and XP machine on my network.

> I do use NWLink on the XP machines & did use IPX/SPX NETBIOS on
> the Win98 machines. No joy.

I don't know what's up with that as I was helping someone with XP and Win
9'x resource sharing with the above network protocols in another NG. It
didn't work either. But it should work!. The two XP machines were just
fine.

> I frequently got one-way networking, but
> never two-way. (Weirdly, I got one-way networking both ways on
> different networks. One, I got the XP machines to access the 98 ones,
> but the 98 machines couldn't access the XP ones. On another the 98
> ones could access the XP machines just fine but the XP machines
> couldn't even see the 98 machines.

During the initial setup of the XP machines before I realized that the
Network Wizard is a piece of *crap* and abandon it, the Wiz is nothing
but trouble, I did see a part of the dialog that was indicating that the
Network Wizard could be used to make a network setup install diskette
that was to be installed on non XP/NT based machines so that
communications could take place between the machines on a LAN.

Maybe, that's the missing part to this. I have to think that it has been
accomplished somewhere on this Earth!

derek / nul

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:42:26 -0900, Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Haven't tried Win2K & XP-like you said, both are NT so it could work
>fine. I do use NWLink on the XP machines & did use IPX/SPX NETBIOS on
>the Win98 machines. No joy. I frequently got one-way networking, but
>never two-way. (Weirdly, I got one-way networking both ways on different
>networks. One, I got the XP machines to access the 98 ones, but the 98
>machines couldn't access the XP ones. On another the 98 ones could
>access the XP machines just fine but the XP machines couldn't even see
>the 98 machines. Got far enough to be fairly certain that it *can* be
>done, but could never cross the finish line. Finally gave up & just
>moved everything to the same OS.)

Use Netbeui on all machines, no problems.
On my home network, I use IP for the net and netbeui for w2k and 98

Derek

Trent©

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:03:21 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd go with the router & print server. I've had very mixed results
>getting WinXP & Win98 machines to network. I know it can be done but out
>of 4 networks I work on I don't think I've gotten any to network
>properly.

The trick is in setting up permissions.