Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > High Speed Dial-up?

High Speed Dial-up?

Edge

What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by Netzero?
They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are talking about
56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work and what hardware is
needed?

TIA

Chet

It is my understanding that no new hardware is needed.

They use a combination of data compression and caching to reduce the amount
of data sent "over the wire". I have heard, but cannot confirm, that they
also reduce the resolution of graphics in web pages. I would be interested
if anybody in this NG has actually tried it and what kind of actual data
throughput they have seen.

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1i8Eb.209650$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by

Netzero?
> They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are talking about
> 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work and what hardware is
> needed?
>
> TIA

DeMoN LaG

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1i8Eb.209650$(E-Mail Removed):

> What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by
> Netzero? They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are
> talking about 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work
> and what hardware is needed?

There is no high speed dialup faster than 56k. They use a "web page
accelerator" thing that involves caching of frequently visited pages so it
appears that the pages are coming in faster.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Hank

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1i8Eb.209650$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by

Netzero?
> They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are talking about
> 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work and what hardware is
> needed?
>
> TIA

It's done with mirrors and smoke, save your money. I tried it a few months
back before DSL was available in my area and found it to be nothing much
more than a gimmick to get more of your hard earned dollar. I paid for it
for a month (had to when I upgraded) and I think I used it the first night
and that was it Sure the graphics load a bit faster and that's just because
the resolution is so low. When I say low I mean its like you can count the
pixels it's so low. As for data rate as in downloading something, it doesn't
affect it at all. 56k is 56k Sorry.

Hank

Thor

It really isn't a service that gives you greater bandwidth. It merely
compresses web graphics to reduce page load-in times, and they cache pages
locally on their own servers which speeds up some load times marginally. In
using high levels of compression, the web graphics/pictures are also reduced
in quality. File downloads, uploads, etc. are not benefitted by this
technology.

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1i8Eb.209650$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by

Netzero?
> They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are talking about
> 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work and what hardware is
> needed?
>
> TIA

sno

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:1i8Eb.209650$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by
> > Netzero? They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are
> > talking about 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work
> > and what hardware is needed?
> >

> There is no high speed dialup faster than 56k. They use a "web page
> accelerator" thing that involves caching of frequently visited pages so it
> appears that the pages are coming in faster.

Have tried....if you get it for free may be worth it.....
is not worth paying for....

Some browsers (opera for instance) allow you to turn off graphics
easily....and will only download txt....unless you need...then
can click and get the graphics.....speeds things up a lot....

If you are downloading file, then there is no way you can speed
things up that I know of.....except in some cases using a
download program...that makes multiple connections to the file
and downloads over more then one connection...

hope helps.....sno