Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > tivo

Diehard

does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now, the
ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy movies to pc
and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it or something?

Night_Seer

Diehard wrote:
> does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now,
> the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy
> movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it
> or something?

It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet connected
TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect your computer
to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the price of a Tivo these
days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for $219 at www.newegg.com and
this one does Tivo for FM stations as well. Unless of course you
already bought Tivo, then I don't have an answer for you...sorry.

--
Night_Seer

Diehard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Diehard wrote:
> > does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now,
> > the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy
> > movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it
> > or something?

> It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
> essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet connected
> TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect your computer
> to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the price of a Tivo these
> days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for $219 at www.newegg.com and
> this one does Tivo for FM stations as well. Unless of course you
> already bought Tivo, then I don't have an answer for you...sorry.
>
> --
> Night_Seer

Tivo, $99 but i work for best buy so cheaper. directivo. i won't have cable
tv or anything only directv so a computer card won't do any good. but anyway
i got all my info i need from elsewhere.

Calvin Crumrine

Night_Seer wrote:
> Diehard wrote:
>
>>does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store now,
>>the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can copy
>>movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you hack it
>>or something?

> It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
> essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet connected
> TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect your computer
> to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the price of a Tivo these
> days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for $219 at www.newegg.com and
> this one does Tivo for FM stations as well. Unless of course you
> already bought Tivo, then I don't have an answer for you...sorry.

Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the office,
which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants the
capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me) having a
habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last makes one of
my requirements for this that it be a separate system. Preferably not
even networked although *maybe* I can keep from 'borrowing' that unused
disk space even if it is networked.

Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
computers.

Night_Seer

Calvin Crumrine wrote:
> Night_Seer wrote:
>> Diehard wrote:
>>
>>> does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store
>>> now, the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can
>>> copy movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you
>>> hack it or something?

>> It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
>> essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet
>> connected TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect
>> your computer to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the
>> price of a Tivo these days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for
>> $219 at www.newegg.com and this one does Tivo for FM stations as
>> well. Unless of course you already bought Tivo, then I don't have
>> an answer for you...sorry.
>>

> Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the
> office, which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants
> the capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me)
> having a habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last
> makes one of my requirements for this that it be a separate system.
> Preferably not even networked although *maybe* I can keep from
> 'borrowing' that unused disk space even if it is networked.
>
> Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
> though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
> computers.

My future house will probably ONLY have a computer in the living
room...probably hooked up to a projector of some sort. But I can
totally understand all your objections.

--
Night_Seer

Night_Seer

Diehard wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Diehard wrote:
>>> does anyone know if with tivo series 2 like what is in the store
>>> now, the ones you can buy to use with your directv service, you can
>>> copy movies to pc and make dvd's like you can with series 1 if you
>>> hack it or something?

>> It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
>> essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet
>> connected TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect
>> your computer to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the
>> price of a Tivo these days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for
>> $219 at www.newegg.com and this one does Tivo for FM stations as
>> well. Unless of course you already bought Tivo, then I don't have
>> an answer for you...sorry.
>>
>> --
>> Night_Seer
>>

> Tivo, $99 but i work for best buy so cheaper. directivo. i won't have
> cable tv or anything only directv so a computer card won't do any
> good. but anyway i got all my info i need from elsewhere.

So is it possible or not? BTW they also make satelite PC
cards...haven't looked, tried or even glimpsed, so I know nothing about
them.

--
Night_Seer

Calvin Crumrine

Night_Seer wrote:
> Calvin Crumrine wrote:
>
>>Night_Seer wrote:

>>>It would be much easier to just get an ATI All-in-wonder card...which
>>>essentially does the same thing as Tivo (Even has an internet
>>>connected TV guide) without the monthly fee. Then you can connect
>>>your computer to your TV or else burn dvds or vcds. What's the
>>>price of a Tivo these days? You can get a Radeon 9600PRO AIW for
>>>$219 at www.newegg.com and this one does Tivo for FM stations as
>>>well. Unless of course you already bought Tivo, then I don't have
>>>an answer for you...sorry.
>>>

>>Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the
>>office, which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants
>>the capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me)
>>having a habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last
>>makes one of my requirements for this that it be a separate system.
>>Preferably not even networked although *maybe* I can keep from
>>'borrowing' that unused disk space even if it is networked.
>>
>>Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
>>though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
>>computers.

> My future house will probably ONLY have a computer in the living
> room...probably hooked up to a projector of some sort. But I can
> totally understand all your objections.

Projector's a neat idea-maybe even compelling enough to make me change
my mind. I use one at work but, for some reason, never even thought of
using it for TV. Thanks!

Night_Seer

Calvin Crumrine wrote:
> Night_Seer wrote:
>> Calvin Crumrine wrote:

>>> Or any of several other 'else's. Such as not having cable in the
>>> office, which is where the computer is. Or having a wife that wants
>>> the capability but is computer-phobic. Or (the real biggie for me)
>>> having a habit of filling up all available hard disk space-this last
>>> makes one of my requirements for this that it be a separate system.
>>> Preferably not even networked although *maybe* I can keep from
>>> 'borrowing' that unused disk space even if it is networked.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I really dislike having a computer in the living room. Even
>>> though I know that DVD players, Tivo, etc. are nothing but disguised
>>> computers.

>> My future house will probably ONLY have a computer in the living
>> room...probably hooked up to a projector of some sort. But I can
>> totally understand all your objections.
>>

> Projector's a neat idea-maybe even compelling enough to make me change
> my mind. I use one at work but, for some reason, never even thought of
> using it for TV. Thanks!

There's a whole website devoted to HTPC's and projectors...now I gotta
check at home to find the URL...goes from about $1000 dollars all the
way up to...well you know...

--
Night_Seer

Tivo movie transfer problem with Tivo Desktop and EtiVo Arawak Computer Support 2 03-24-2008 07:27 AM
TIVO Networking dwacon Computer Support 1 05-29-2005 10:47 PM
Soundblaster Audigy to Dierctv TIVO Shark Computer Support 1 04-15-2005 04:57 AM
TIVO dwacon Computer Support 3 02-20-2005 03:44 PM
Using pc as a Tivo enjay Computer Support 0 03-06-2004 06:08 PM

Advertisments