Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Educating the less fortunate

Educating the less fortunate

Fludge

As you may or may not remember, I've posted a lot on here in order to get
help with my parent's machine because they keep getting into difficulties
due to their intense naivity when it comes to computers. I thought, what
with Christmas n'all, I could get them a book or something to guide them
through the mists, and it might be handy for me too. They're generally
fairly clueless about basic maintenance, proceedures, internet security,
virus, firewalls, the hole thing. They kind of learn how to do something as
and when they need to, but they're forever getting caught out opening
unauthorised email attachments and just generally not udnerstanding how
files, folders etc etc work. Is there a decent title you can recommend that
would give them a good basic education? Thanks.

--
'I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think.'
Or, 'I think where I cannot say that I am.'

Night_Seer

Fludge wrote:
> As you may or may not remember, I've posted a lot on here in order to
> get help with my parent's machine because they keep getting into
> difficulties due to their intense naivity when it comes to computers.
> I thought, what with Christmas n'all, I could get them a book or
> something to guide them through the mists, and it might be handy for
> me too. They're generally fairly clueless about basic maintenance,
> proceedures, internet security, virus, firewalls, the hole thing.
> They kind of learn how to do something as and when they need to, but
> they're forever getting caught out opening unauthorised email
> attachments and just generally not udnerstanding how files, folders
> etc etc work. Is there a decent title you can recommend that would
> give them a good basic education? Thanks.

Look into the "for dummies" or "idiots guide to" series, as I hear they
are decent for...well...dummies

--
Night_Seer

Anna N. Amis

Fludge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0bBDb.1389$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> As you may or may not remember, I've posted a lot on here in order to get
> help with my parent's machine because they keep getting into difficulties
> due to their intense naivity when it comes to computers. I thought, what
> with Christmas n'all, I could get them a book or something to guide them
> through the mists, and it might be handy for me too. They're generally
> fairly clueless about basic maintenance, proceedures, internet security,
> virus, firewalls, the hole thing. They kind of learn how to do something

as
> and when they need to, but they're forever getting caught out opening
> unauthorised email attachments and just generally not udnerstanding how
> files, folders etc etc work. Is there a decent title you can recommend

that
> would give them a good basic education? Thanks.
>

> --
> 'I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think.'
> Or, 'I think where I cannot say that I am.'
> Jacques Lacan

Up Grading and Reparing PCs by Scott Muller. It is a large book, but it is
usefull for the beginner as well as the advanced user. It's table of
contents makes it easy to find just the info you need and it is written in
easy to understand language.

Netuser 58

Fludge,
Have them go to this link for a good start:

http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Netuser 58