Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > adding second hard drive

adding second hard drive

philo

Kevin Wainhouse wrote:
> I intend to add 2nd hard drive to my system but am confused about
> installing & running it.
>
> I intend to instal it on secondary EIDE socket on which I have already
> installed a CD RW drive.
>
> My questions are
>
> Can I run the new drive as master with the CD RW being the slave
> If so will this arrangement affect the existing HDD which is on the primary
> EIDE socket

Yes

> When installed, do I have to boot up the new hard disk in addition to th e
> original had disk if so how, as the machine will already be running.

No

> Will the new drive be a drain on the memory ( Ive got 256meg at present)-
> will I need to install more.
> Any information gratefully received - thanks in advance

No

once installed

all you need to do is partition the drive

then reboot and format it

Kevin Wainhouse

I intend to add 2nd hard drive to my system but am confused about
installing & running it.

I intend to instal it on secondary EIDE socket on which I have already
installed a CD RW drive.

My questions are

Can I run the new drive as master with the CD RW being the slave
If so will this arrangement affect the existing HDD which is on the primary
EIDE socket

When installed, do I have to boot up the new hard disk in addition to th e
original had disk if so how, as the machine will already be running.

Will the new drive be a drain on the memory ( Ive got 256meg at present)-
will I need to install more.
Any information gratefully received - thanks in advance

mark mandel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kevin Wainhouse wrote:
> > I intend to add 2nd hard drive to my system but am confused about
> > installing & running it.
> >
> > I intend to instal it on secondary EIDE socket on which I have already
> > installed a CD RW drive.
> >
> > My questions are
> >
> > Can I run the new drive as master with the CD RW being the slave
> > If so will this arrangement affect the existing HDD which is on the

primary
> > EIDE socket
> >

> Yes

And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this kind of
setup.

> > When installed, do I have to boot up the new hard disk in addition to th

> > original had disk if so how, as the machine will already be running.

> No
> >
> > Will the new drive be a drain on the memory ( Ive got 256meg at

present)-
> > will I need to install more.
> > Any information gratefully received - thanks in advance
> >

> No
>
> once installed
>
> all you need to do is partition the drive
>
> then reboot and format it

DeMoN LaG

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1LwDb.6092$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this
> kind of setup.

Not often.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

mark mandel

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:1LwDb.6092$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:
>
> > And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this
> > kind of setup.
> >

> Not often.

Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".

> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

HF

When you buy the drive BUY 'the retail kit' Dont just buy an OEM because all
you will get is the drive. By paying a relatively small amount extra you
will get a manual and full fitting instructions as well as an installation
disk with all the necessary software to perform all the functions you need
to instal a new drive as well as copying etc if you so wish.Take a look at
the Western Digital website for instance and you will find a load of useful
stuff as well as a good FAQ. With regard to cd/rw - it does not pay to have
the HD and the cd/rw on the same channel. I wont go into why not here
but you will find it and more on www.cdrfaq.org. Finally dont be confused -
have a look at www.computerhope.com and www.tomshardware.com . HF

"Kevin Wainhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mzpDb.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I intend to add 2nd hard drive to my system but am confused about
> installing & running it.
>
> I intend to instal it on secondary EIDE socket on which I have already
> installed a CD RW drive.
>
> My questions are
>
> Can I run the new drive as master with the CD RW being the slave
> If so will this arrangement affect the existing HDD which is on the

primary
> EIDE socket
>
> When installed, do I have to boot up the new hard disk in addition to th e
> original had disk if so how, as the machine will already be running.
>
> Will the new drive be a drain on the memory ( Ive got 256meg at present)-
> will I need to install more.
> Any information gratefully received - thanks in advance

Night_Seer

mark mandel wrote:
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>> "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:1LwDb.6092$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:
>>
>>> And sometimes the CD-RW's(or CD-ROM drives)will misbehave from this
>>> kind of setup.
>>>

>> Not often.

> Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".
>>
>> --
>> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
>> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
>> website: under construction
>> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
>> email/IM for rates/services

Rarely would have been a better word ;P

--
Night_Seer

mark mandel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark mandel wrote:
> > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> >> "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:1LwDb.6092$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> >> Not often.

> > Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".
> >>
> >> --
> >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> >> website: under construction
> >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> >> email/IM for rates/services

> Rarely would have been a better word ;P

And yet, I've encountered it(at least once that I can recall)and it's
mentioned in "The PC Repair Bench Book" where the author says some hard
drive disks won't work with a CD-ROM attached to the IDE channel as a slave.
He then adds "call it hardware snobbery or what you like, but in these
cases, you'll need to move the CD-ROM drive to another channel."

Now I'm assuming that you could just as well substitute a CD-RW for the
CD-ROM mentioned above but will concede that maybe there's a difference.

Mark

> --
> Night_Seer

Trent©

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:33:01 GMT, "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> mark mandel wrote:
>> > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message

>> > Right. Which was why I said "sometimes".

>> Rarely would have been a better word ;P

>And yet, I've encountered it(at least once that I can recall)and it's
>mentioned in "The PC Repair Bench Book" where the author says some hard
>drive disks won't work with a CD-ROM attached to the IDE channel as a slave.
>He then adds "call it hardware snobbery or what you like, but in these
>cases, you'll need to move the CD-ROM drive to another channel."

Call it 'defective equipment'.

Except for defective equipment, it'll always work.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent