Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > testing system ram

testing system ram

Frank

How could I test my system memory.?
Do I need to buy a utility program.?
I'm operating a P4 Dell with XP (home) and have 512mb rdram. The ram is
divided up by 4 memory cards, 128mb each. I'm looking to reassure myself
that all 4 cards are each 100% good.

mark mandel

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UnaDb.40835$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> How could I test my system memory.?
> Do I need to buy a utility program.?
> I'm operating a P4 Dell with XP (home) and have 512mb rdram. The ram is
> divided up by 4 memory cards, 128mb each. I'm looking to reassure myself
> that all 4 cards are each 100% good.

Check at Doc Memory which is at www.simmester.com.

bambam

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:UnaDb.40835$(E-Mail Removed) om:

> How could I test my system memory.?
> Do I need to buy a utility program.?
> I'm operating a P4 Dell with XP (home) and have 512mb rdram. The
> ram is divided up by 4 memory cards, 128mb each. I'm looking to
> reassure myself that all 4 cards are each 100% good.

Memtest86

http://www.memtest86.com/

--
If a person is choking on an ice cube, don't panic. Simply pour a jug
of boiling water down their throat and presto! The blockage is almost

Diehard

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UnaDb.40835$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> How could I test my system memory.?
> Do I need to buy a utility program.?
> I'm operating a P4 Dell with XP (home) and have 512mb rdram. The ram is
> divided up by 4 memory cards, 128mb each. I'm looking to reassure myself
> that all 4 cards are each 100% good.

the problem with mem test is it doesn't do any good. i had bad ram i knew
was bad cus i couldnt install windows xp with it, and tried memtest which
said the ram was fine, but it was not.

Thor

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qegDb.509$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UnaDb.40835$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > How could I test my system memory.?
> > Do I need to buy a utility program.?
> > I'm operating a P4 Dell with XP (home) and have 512mb rdram. The ram is
> > divided up by 4 memory cards, 128mb each. I'm looking to reassure

myself
> > that all 4 cards are each 100% good.
> >

> the problem with mem test is it doesn't do any good. i had bad ram i knew
> was bad cus i couldnt install windows xp with it, and tried memtest which
> said the ram was fine, but it was not.

It depends on the problem. Memtest may not be able to determine a problem
that has arisen out of compatibility problems, etc. But memory testing
programs can be very good diagnostic tools. I use Qualitas Ramexam. It's a
retail program, but every time I've had faulty memory in a system, I was
able to confirm it with that program.

Frank

From what I saw of Ramex by Qualitas, it would not work for me. They have no
tech support phone number, or even an address for snail mail. They don't
even provide an on-line manual.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qegDb.509$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> >
> > "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:UnaDb.40835$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > How could I test my system memory.?
> > > Do I need to buy a utility program.?
> > > I'm operating a P4 Dell with XP (home) and have 512mb rdram. The ram

is
> > > divided up by 4 memory cards, 128mb each. I'm looking to reassure

> myself
> > > that all 4 cards are each 100% good.
> > >

> > the problem with mem test is it doesn't do any good. i had bad ram i

knew
> > was bad cus i couldnt install windows xp with it, and tried memtest

which
> > said the ram was fine, but it was not.

> It depends on the problem. Memtest may not be able to determine a problem
> that has arisen out of compatibility problems, etc. But memory testing
> programs can be very good diagnostic tools. I use Qualitas Ramexam. It's a
> retail program, but every time I've had faulty memory in a system, I was
> able to confirm it with that program.

Thor

well, Frank, Ramexam is an exceedingly simple program to use. It comes with
documentation on it's usage, so no online manual is really necessary. It's
also relatively cheap at $19.99, and you can even download and try out a
limited evaluation version for free to see how it works. I'm sorry that you
assume you can't use it, but from your description I would think it would
serve your needs fine, and I think you are being unreasonably dismissive of
a very good product. But, if you want to see the documentation before you
try it, here is the accompanying readme file. I bought my registered copy in
1999, and it has served me well in my PC repair business ever since. It's
well worth the price, IMHO.

Table of Contents

* Quick Start & RSetup

* Optimal Testing and MAKEBOOT.EXE

* Getting Support

* What is Memory

* Why Memory Fails

* A Word About Windows & Memory Testing

* How RAMexam Tests

* Ways to Use RAMexam

* A Note for OS/2 Users

* Navigating RAMexam

* A Memory Error! Now What?

* How to Avoid Memory Errors

* Command Line Options

* Quick Start & RSetup

Thank you for purchasing Qualitas RAMexam. With it, you can use your

PC with the confidence that your system RAM is functioning properly.

Installing RAMexam

Installing RAMexam is a simple task:

1. Place the RAMexam diskette in the diskette drive.

2. Type A: and press enter. (If you are installing from a drive

other than A substitute that drive letter.)

3. Type RSETUP and press enter. If the Qualitas Memory Tester is

already installed (Qualitas MAX v. 7 & 8 includes QMT), RSetup

replaces QMT with RAMexam. RAMexam includes all the features provided

by QMT, and more.

4. RSetup prompts you for information, including your name, RAMexam

serial number and the directory you want RAMexam installed into.

5. If you use MS-DOS 6 MultiConfig, RSetup asks into which

configuration RAMexam should install. The section "Ways to Use

RAMexam" makes specific suggestions about taking advantage of RAMexam

in a MultiConfig setup.

6. RSetup displays the scheduled testing setup screen on which you can

tell RSetup to install a RAMexam command into your AUTOEXEC.BAT file

for automated testing. You may choose to schedule when RAMexam runs

from the following options:

Whenever the system starts (or is rebooted)

Daily (the first time the system is turned on or booted each day)

Weekly (you choose which day of the week)

Monthly (you choose which day of the month)

User Defined (every n days where n is any number)

During installation, you have the opportunity to view any changes (and

abort them) before they are made to your start-up files. If you

choose to allow RSetup to make the changes then your original files

will be backed-up in the RAMexam directory.

* Optimal Testing and MAKEBOOT.EXE

The Qualitas Memory Tester includes a program called MAKEBOOT.EXE that

creates a bootable diskette configured to test your system without any

resident software active. This is optimal for testing effectiveness.

To use MAKEBOOT you need a formatted floppy disk. MAKEBOOT deletes

all existing files from this diskette. The diskette needs to be the

correct size to fit in drive A (unless your system boots from another

floppy). Put the diskette into the drive and enter:

MAKEBOOT a: [c:]

where a: is the destination drive and c: is the optional drive

letter from which you normally boot (do not include the brackets).

MAKEBOOT asks you to choose between having a Full or Quick test run

when booting from the floppy. A Quick test usually takes under a

minute but is not as thorough as a Full test which can take several

hours. MAKEBOOT transfers the necessary system files to the diskette

and creates appropriate start-up files. To use this diskette, place

it in drive A: and restart your system. After testing completes,\0

remove the diskette and restart your system once more to return to

your original configuration.

* Getting Support

Qualitas provides technical support via e-mail only. This support is

free for a limited period that begins with the first e-mail contact.

Technical Support via e-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

* What is Memory?

The term "computer memory" is ambiguous. It is often used to describe

fixed and floppy disk storage, system and adapter "read only memory"

(ROM), video adapter "random access memory" (RAM) and so on. For the

purpose of this documentation, the term "computer memory" (or just

"memory") refers to the row or rows of system RAM chips that exist

somewhere in your PC. This is the memory in which your software runs

and it is the memory RAMexam tests.

Few components in your PC are as crucial to its operation as memory

and the hardware which manages memory. Defective memory can cause

data loss, prevent your monitor from displaying properly or even cause

your hard disk to crash. Every element in your system depends on the

correct operation of RAM.

The capacity of PC memory to store information is measured in bytes.

A typical PC comes standard with several megabytes of RAM. A megabyte

equals one million bytes (actually 1,048,576) - approximately the

amount of memory needed to hold the text for a 600 page paperback

novel. Each byte on an IBM compatible system contains eight bits.

This means that the average PC with four megabytes of RAM has over 33

million bits -- each one ready and waiting for your valuable

information.

Let's take a look at just one bit. Each bit "holds" one of two values

-- 0 or 1 -- depending on its electrical state. All the information

in your PC amounts to nothing more than a series of bits, each one

holding a 0 or 1. For example, the word "memory" has six characters,

each represented as a byte in memory, for a total of 48 bits of

information:

01101101 01100101 01101101 01101111 01110010 01111001

m e m o r y

Each bit is significant. What would happen if the last bit was stored

in a defective memory chip and was stuck as zero? The new word would

be "memorx". And if your software program got loaded into the

defective bit then there is a very good chance your system would

crash. Your PC operates on the assumption that each bit (all 33

million in the above example) functions perfectly every time you use

your PC.

* Why Memory Fails

People expect most machines to break eventually. We look at all the

moving parts -- hard drives spinning rapidly for hours on end, car

engines running for thousands of miles -- and we know that eventually

the machine will stop working. We see it happen every day.

Why, then, should we be so surprised to learn that system memory also

fails? RAM itself may not spin, chug or move but it is acted upon in

countless ways -- ways that, given RAM's fragile nature, can have

devastating effects.

In addition to faulty RAM, RAMexam may detect errors which occur due

to faults in the memory subsystem - the hardware that manages the RAM.

Unfortunately, there is no way for software to determine the

difference between defective RAM and a defective memory subsystem.

The causes for failure, though, are the same.

Here are some of the most common (though by no means all) reasons that

system memory fails:

Static Electricity

If you have opened your personal computer then you know that under the

metal case are relatively vulnerable electronics. Brushing against

system RAM while carrying even the slightest static charge can destroy

chips by subjecting them to momentary discharges of excessive

electricity.

Power Surges (large and small)

We all know about the devastating effect lightning can have on a PC.

While a $20 surge protector may reduce risk, it does not eliminate it.

In fact, power brown-outs -- where power levels dip momentarily

(because somebody upstairs just started their blow dryer) are not

handled by most surge protectors and can be just as damaging over time

as surges. Actually, your PC is hit with a power surge every time it

is turned on and electricity rushes into the cold system. Even when

these brown-outs and surges do not cause immediate problems, they can

stress the semiconductor chips, which has a cumulative damaging

effect.

Dust, Smoke and Pet Hair

Did you ever wonder why the television is usually the dustiest spot in

the house? Dust and other air impurities are attracted by the

electrical charge of inside appliances like your television and PC

where they layer onto components including system memory. Over time,

these materials can build up enough to carry electrical charges and

"short" the PC's circuitry. The dust also forms a blanket,

diminishing the electronics' ability to release heat and stay cool.

This results in heat stress and additional potential damage.

Changes in Temperature

Put your hand on the back of a PC that has been running for several

hours. It is very warm. As with all things, PC components expand

when their temperatures increase. Components of different materials

(like the metal RAM prongs and the plastic material to which it is

attached) expand and contract at different rates. Listen closely to

your PC creak when turned off after hours of use. This expansion and

contraction can, over time, stress the system RAM as well as the

connections between the RAM and the other components.

Though we can take precautions, there are no guaranteed methods for

eliminating all chances of memory error. What we can do, though, is

minimize the chances of losing work because of defective memory by

using RAMexam to test system memory regularly.

* A Word About Windows & Memory Testing

When Microsoft Windows starts up, one of the first things it does is

to grab almost every available byte of system memory. Conventional

memory, high DOS memory (UMBs) and extended memory are all allocated.

This means two important things for RAMexam users:

1) RAMexam can only test available memory -- which doesn't exist once

Windows has allocated all of it. RAMexam does not run in a DOS

session under Windows because there is effectively no memory available

for testing.

2) Windows users should be especially zealous about doing periodic RAM

testing because Windows is one of the few applications to use the

multiple megabytes of RAM on most systems. Frequently, a systems run

without incident until Windows loads -- at which point Windows

accesses a byte of bad RAM that had never been used before. RAMexam

testing is an effective pre-treatment because it warns you about

defective RAM before Windows (and your work) trip over it.

* How RAMexam Tests

Memory is a collection of individual bits. Any time a bit fails to

change its value correctly or erroneously changes its value then a RAM

error occurs. Most (though not all) RAM that fails once will do so

again. RAMexam uses exhaustive testing to invoke, trap and report RAM

errors before they affect your application software.

Unlike other memory testers, RAMexam uses an underlying consistent

fault model to detect RAM errors efficiently even in complex, multiple

fault situations. Using sophisticated strategies of writing and

reading bit patterns in memory -- where each strategy targets a

specific type of failure -- RAMexam provides faster and more

comprehensive and effective testing.

Here is a description of the categories of failures for which RAMexam

tests:

Stuck-at: One or more bits retain the value that exists in the memory

when the system boots, regardless of attempts to write new values into

the memory.

Transition: Once changed, the value in the defective bit becomes

stuck-at.

Unlinked Inversion: A bit changes erroneously as the result of a

change to a bit elsewhere in memory.

Linked Inversion: A bit changes erroneously as the result of changes

to two or more other bits elsewhere in memory.

Unlinked Idempotent: A bit becomes stuck-at as the result of a change

to a bit elsewhere in memory.

Linked Idempotent: A bit becomes stuck-at as the result of changes to

two or more other bits elsewhere in memory.

RAMexam detects singular and multiple (coupled) occurrences of the

above errors.

From the basic display, RAMexam provides two testing options: Quick

and Full. Selecting Quick is the same as choosing the transition

fault test from the advanced display. Selecting Full is the sae as

choosing the two idempotent tests from the advanced display. All

tests can be accessed by name from the advanced display. Press

ALT-Tab to toggle between basic and advanced displays.

* Ways to Use RAMexam

The Qualitas Memory Tester may be used several ways:

* You can run RAMexam every time you boot your system by including

RAMexam in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. When running RAMexam this way, you

should use the command line switch for a "Quick" test. Use RSetup to

configure your system this way automatically. Running RAMexam at

system start-up adds between a few seconds and a few minutes to the

time it takes to boot your system, depending on how much memory you

have and the speed of your system.

* You can run RAMexam as often as you like from the DOS prompt by

typing RAMexam and pressing enter. Once RAMexam is running, select

the test(s) you wish to run.

* RAMexam can test available memory only (you wouldn't want RAMexam

to write over memory in use by another program). For extensive

testing, you can use RAMexam on a "clean" system without resident

software such as disk caches, RAM disks and memory managers active.

Running RAMexam with no other software active is the most effective

way to test your system. The program MAKEBOOT.EXE creates a bootable

floppy for this purpose. If you are using MS-DOS 6 MultiConfig or

similar utility then you may wish to create a clean boot configur-

ation which executes the following line:

d:\path\RAMexam FULL=1

where d: is the drive on which RAMexam is installed and path is the

directory. This provides an easy way to test your system memory

fully.

To start RAMexam, you must be in the RAMexam directory or it must be

included in your DOS search path.

* A Note for OS/2 Users

RAMexam can test the memory on systems that run OS/2. In fact,

RAMexam tests RAM on any Intel 386, 486 or Pentium-compatible

microprocessor or above regardless of the operating system. First,

you need access to a system running DOS so you can install RAMexam on

that system and use MAKEBOOT.EXE to create a bootable test diskette.

(MAKEBOOT does not run in an OS/2 DOS session because OS/2 does not

support the necessary DOS SYS.COM command.) Once you have your

bootable diskette use it as described above. Remember to observe

copyright restrictions and use DOS and RAMexam only on the systems for

which they are licensed.

* Navigating RAMexam

There are two RAMexam displays available, Basic and Advanced. When

RAMexam starts, it displays the Basic screen. Three windows make up

the Basic display. The window in the upper left corner of the screen

displays the program name and copyright. The window in the upper

right portion of the screen displays two buttons labeled Quick and

Full. Select the desired test using the right and left cursor (arrow)

keys. Press enter to start the test. The third window, centered in

the bottom half of the screen, displays test progress.

RAMexam's Advanced screen is for users who want to see the nuts and

bolts of memory testing. Users may switch between the Advanced and

Basic screens using Alt-Tab (even while testing).

There are four windows on the Advanced display, one of which (in the

top, left corner) is the same as in the Basic display.

The Test Selection window, in the top right corner of the screen,

displays the names of the six different memory tests. Each test name

is followed by a field in which you may enter the number of times

RAMexam should run the test. Enter "C" to instruct RAMexam to run the

test continually until interrupted by the user.

The Memory to Test window, in the lower left corner of the screen,

displays the memory regions which RAMexam has identified. Regions

displayed in gray are in use by other software (such as a disk cache)

or are not physically present and cannot be tested.

The Test Status window appears in the lower right corner and includes

the estimated time to test completion. While running, RAMexam reads

and writes (abbreviated in the display as "Rd" and "Wr") various test

patterns into memory. This activity appears in the Status window.

Keyboard Overview

The following keys are available in both Basic and Advanced screens:

F1 displays help

F5 toggles between color and monochrome displays

ESC if a test is in progress, halts test, otherwise exits

RAMexam

The following keys are available while viewing the Basic display:

ALT-Tab switches to the Advanced display (use F9 on 83-key keyboards)

Cursor alternates between highlighting Quick and Full buttons

Enter starts testing

The following keys are available while viewing the Advanced display:

ALT-Tab switches to the Basic display (use F9 on 83-key keyboards)

Cursor selects test

Ctrl-Enter runs the highlighted test once

H displays values in hexadecimal format

D displays values in decimal format

Tab moves cursor between Test Selection window and Memory

to Test window if there are more memory entries than

fit in a single screen. When in the Memory to Test

window the cursor keys scroll the list up and down.

The following keys are available while viewing the Help display:

F2 prints help topic(s)

F3 displays previous help topic

F4 displays next help topic

ESC returns to help menu

* A Memory Error! Now What?

If you are fortunate, RAMexam will never find a memory error on your

system. When RAMexam detects defective or damaged RAM then the test

halts and a red warning box appears with all known information about

the error.

Unfortunately, RAMexam cannot tell you which chip is the culprit.

Software accesses memory through special hardware that is responsible

for addressing the individual chips. There is information within this

hardware that maps the memory address used by software to a physical

bit within a chip. This information is not accessible to software and

varies widely from system to system. Should RAMexam detect defective

RAM, here are the recommended steps to take:

* See if the error is reproducible. If a memory error only happens

once and cannot be reproduced it may not be cause for alarm.

Occasionally, alpha particle radiation -- which may not recur -- can

cause memory failure.

* If the memory error recurs, take your system to a qualified repair

facility. Virtually every system manufacturer uses a unique memory

architecture so that it is impossible for RAMexam to identify specific

memory chips to replace. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE YOUR RAM UNLESS

YOU ARE QUALIFIED. (If you are not sure if you are qualified then you

probably are not.) All error information is saved into the RAMexam

log file in the RAMexam directory.

* Diagnosis of memory errors, beyond that offered by RAMexam,

requires hands-on interaction with the problem system. It also

frequently requires special equipment. For these reasons, Qualitas

Technical Support cannot assist you in locating faulty memory chips.

You should contact a Qualitas technician only if you believe that

RAMexam itself is not functioning correctly.

* How to Avoid Memory Errors

As with most of life, a byte of prevention is worth a megabyte of

cure. Maintaining a proper environment for your PC can significantly

reduce the chance of memory failure. Here are some tips:

* Work in a dust free environment.

* Keep pets away from computer work areas.

* Do not smoke in the same room as your PC.

* Plug your PC into its own electrical circuit.

* Use a surge protector or, even better, an uninterruptable power

supply (UPS).

* If you use a modem or fax board, make sure that you use a

telephone line surge protector.

* Never touch the inside of your PC without first grounding

yourself.

Even with these precautions, there is no guarantee that RAM will not

fail. RAM testing, though, significantly reduces the risk of losing

work to defective RAM.

* Command Line Options

? display help

ADVANCED start execution in advanced mode

ALL=n run all tests n times

ASK[=timeout,response]

prompt for action to take, with a default response to

be used after time-out seconds:

Y (Yes) run RAMexam

N (No) skip test and wait until next

scheduled occurrence

P (Postpone) skip test; ask again later

BW or /B force black & white display

COLOR or /C force color display

DAILY run RAMexam only if it has not been run since midnight

FULL=n run Full tests n times

HEX display data initially in hexadecimal mode

INTERVAL=n run RAMexam only if at least n days have expired

since the last time RAMexam was run

K avoid spurious keyboard lockups

L use larger of BIOS and CMOS sizes if they differ

LNKIDM=n run Linked Idempotent Coupling Fault Test n times

LNKINV=n run Linked Inversion Coupling Fault Test n times

LOG[=filename][,o]

append a log entry to RAMEXAM.LOG or other filename

and use o to overwrite any existing file of the same

name

MONTHLY[=date] run RAMexam only if it has not run in the last month

- if optional date is specified, RAMexam runs on or

after that day of the month (1-31)

NODPMI do not use DOS Protected Mode Interface

NOEXIT do not exit after running tests automatically

NOPARITY avoid spurious parity errors on certain systems

NOVCPI do not use Vitrual Control Program Interface

NOXRAM do not recover extra memory

QUICK=n run Quick tests n times

S use smaller of BIOS and CMOS sizes if they differ

SAF=n run Stuck-At Fault Test n times

TF=n run Transition Fault Test n times

TOP384 recover 384KB COMPAQ-like memory

UNLIDM=n run Unlinked Idempotent Coupling Fault Test n times

UNLINV=n run Unlinked Inversion Coupling Fault Test n times

V avoid lockups on certain VLSI chipsets (82C480)

WEEKLY[=day] run RAMexam only if it has not been run in the last

week - if optional day is specified, RAMexam runs on

or after that day of the week (Sunday=1, Monday=2,

etc.)

* * * *

(C) Copyright 1997-9 Qualitas

Qualitas is a registered trademark and RAMexam is a trademark of

Qualitas. All other products are trademarks of their respective

owners.

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T74Eb.42591$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> From what I saw of Ramex by Qualitas, it would not work for me. They have

no