Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New System - 3.5" necessery?

New System - 3.5" necessery?

DeMoN LaG

Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
@otis.netspace.net.au:

> It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
> using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
> nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
> of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
> purposes.)

I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.

I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
of a rabbit to a human.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Thor

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
> @otis.netspace.net.au:
>
> > It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
> > using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
> > nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
> > of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
> > purposes.)

> I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2

years
> ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were

packaged
> in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light

or
> heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
> months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
>
> I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
> lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the

lifespan
> of a rabbit to a human.

I have two large boxes of floppies that havent seen usage since 1998 or so,
and they are still readable. I got them off the shelf, dusted off the
covers, opened the boxes, and every one I put in the drive was still good.
Every disc had data stored on it several years ago, and they were ok.

Oldus Fartus

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
> @otis.netspace.net.au:
>

>>It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
>>using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
>>nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
>>of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
>>purposes.)

> I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
> ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
> in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
> heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
> months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
>
> I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
> lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
> of a rabbit to a human.

Interesting. As I said earlier in this thread, I very rarely use
floppies, and haven't bought any for probably five or six years.

I did pull out some old ones today after your post though, and they were
all readable, so perhaps it is the later ones which are suffering from
reliability problems.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Calvin Crumrine

Thor wrote:
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>
>>Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
>>@otis.netspace.net.au:
>>

>>>It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
>>>using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
>>>nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
>>>of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
>>>purposes.)

>>I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2

> years
>
>>ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were

> packaged
>
>>in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light

> or
>
>>heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
>>months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
>>
>>I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
>>lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the

> lifespan
>
>>of a rabbit to a human.

> I have two large boxes of floppies that havent seen usage since 1998 or so,
> and they are still readable. I got them off the shelf, dusted off the
> covers, opened the boxes, and every one I put in the drive was still good.
> Every disc had data stored on it several years ago, and they were ok.

I finished up an informal test about 2 years ago. I'd run across an ad
in 1996 for 'high-clip' floppies so I bought 100 of them. Formatted
them, put some files on them, and put them away along with 100 or my
regular floppies. Each year I brought out 20 of each & checked to see
how many were still good. It turned out that the high-clip floppies did
work better. Still not perfect, but the failure rate after 5 years was
less than 2% vs. almost 20% for my 'bargain' floppies.

Of course by the time the results were in I had little if any need for
floppies. That's the problem with performing longevity tests in a
rapidly-changing environment.

V W Wall

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
> @otis.netspace.net.au:
>
> > It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
> > using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
> > nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
> > of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
> > purposes.)

> I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
> ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
> in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
> heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
> months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
>
> I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
> lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
> of a rabbit to a human.

Just don't stick them on the refrigerator with a magnet! ;=)

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Trent©

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:31:49 +0800, Oldus Fartus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DeMoN LaG wrote:
>
>> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
>> @otis.netspace.net.au:
>>

>>>It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
>>>using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
>>>nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
>>>of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
>>>purposes.)

>> I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
>> ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
>> in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
>> heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
>> months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
>>
>> I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
>> lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
>> of a rabbit to a human.
>>

>Interesting. As I said earlier in this thread, I very rarely use
>floppies, and haven't bought any for probably five or six years.
>
>I did pull out some old ones today after your post though, and they were
>all readable, so perhaps it is the later ones which are suffering from
>reliability problems.

No...its the old ones, too.

And the operative here is 'reliable'. If you don't know fer sure if
the data is gonna be there when you need it...that makes it
unreliable.

I've got some things on floppy that are maybe 10 years or so old. The
failure rate is probably around 25%.

Floppies should not be used for long-term storage...unless you make a
coupla extra copies.

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

Trent

Ardent

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:32:12 +0800, Oldus Fartus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nonsense. If you look after them, store them properly and use known
>good disks, then they are reliable. If you have to make three copies
>of something to make sure you get one good one, then I would suggest
>either your drive or your disks are faulty.

I am using floppies from the 8 inch age and I posted my experience. I
have in fact hundreds of no-read floppies and give them to kids to
make pen stands and what not

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only