Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dual Boot?

Dual Boot?

Michael Brown

I've got a P-3 850 mhz laptop that I use for my work. My job's computer
operates from DOS. I've set up the laptop to boot into DOS straight into
the program that we use at work. I back up between the two machines to keep
current. My problem is I've also got Windows 98 on the laptop and from time
to time I use it for email, memos...whatever. The DOS program to turn off
the laptop I just simply turn off the laptop...there is no shutdown. I
suspect that this is causing me problems with the file system on Windows.
From time to time I experience extremely long shutdowns in Windows, problems
booting into Windows. Extremely slow operations in Windows. Would the wise
thing be to set the machine up to a dual boot environment and how would I do
that? Do I need some other program or can it be setup with my current setup
of Win 98 SE?

Thanks,
Michael

Thor

"Michael Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bra8pb$15gq8$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I've got a P-3 850 mhz laptop that I use for my work. My job's computer
> operates from DOS. I've set up the laptop to boot into DOS straight into
> the program that we use at work. I back up between the two machines to

keep
> current. My problem is I've also got Windows 98 on the laptop and from

time
> to time I use it for email, memos...whatever. The DOS program to turn off
> the laptop I just simply turn off the laptop...there is no shutdown. I
> suspect that this is causing me problems with the file system on Windows.

If you mean that the system boots to windows, then launches a full-screen
DOS app, then you power off the computer without closing back to windows
first and running the normal shutdown routine, then you are probably
correct.

> From time to time I experience extremely long shutdowns in Windows,

problems
> booting into Windows. Extremely slow operations in Windows. Would the

wise
> thing be to set the machine up to a dual boot environment and how would I

do
> that? Do I need some other program or can it be setup with my current

setup
> of Win 98 SE?

Simply install TweakUI (download from Microsoft or from many web sources)
and set your machine to boot to a startup menu automatically. This can also
be done by opening the MSDOS.SYS file in a text editor, and adding the line
"BOOTMENU=1" (if it exists already, just change the 0 to 1) then save and
exit the text editor. Restart, and you will then see the Win98 startup menu
when you boot up. Then select "command prompt only", and you will be in a
pure DOS (DOS7.1) environment. Run your DOS program from the command line,
using standard DOS commands. When you are finished with your program, close
it normally, and you should drop back to a command prompt, at which point
you can safely power down. If you want to boot into windows, just reboot
(CTRL-ALT-DEL) and choose windows from the startup menu. If you want to do
all of this without changing any of your startup files, just press the F8
key during bootup (before the windows cloud logo screen) and you'll get that
same startup menu.

V W Wall

Michael Brown wrote:

> I've got a P-3 850 mhz laptop that I use for my work. My job's computer
> operates from DOS. I've set up the laptop to boot into DOS straight into
> the program that we use at work. I back up between the two machines to keep
> current. My problem is I've also got Windows 98 on the laptop and from time
> to time I use it for email, memos...whatever. The DOS program to turn off
> the laptop I just simply turn off the laptop...there is no shutdown. I
> suspect that this is causing me problems with the file system on Windows.
> From time to time I experience extremely long shutdowns in Windows, problems
> booting into Windows. Extremely slow operations in Windows. Would the wise
> thing be to set the machine up to a dual boot environment and how would I do
> that? Do I need some other program or can it be setup with my current setup
> of Win 98 SE?

You can use the [menu] option in config.sys to give you a choice of DOS or
Win98 each time the computer boots up. This is somewhat equivalent to the
method Thor suggested, but has more flexability. For example, you can
automatically load any drivers that DOS programs might require, and/or load
the program itself. You can set the default, and the time needed to select
the alternative.

If you can't find a reference about how to do this, I can post an example.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........