Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > memory stick or memory card?

memory stick or memory card?

Sue

Novice digital camera user! If I buy a memory card for my camera,
will that also do the same job as a memory stick?

Thor

Memory "stick" and memory "card" are probably different types of Digital
Camera/flash memory. There are multiple memory form factors for cameras, and
you need to make sure you get the type that your camera can use. Others will
not fit.

Here are most of the major formats

Compact Flash (CF)
Multimedia Card (MMC)
Smart Media
Secure Media Card
MemoryStick (common on Sony products)
MemoryStick Pro (new, higher capacity version of MemoryStick)

There are others, but they escape my memory at the moment. The point is,
make sure the type you buy is precisely the type your camera is supposed to
use.

"Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Novice digital camera user! If I buy a memory card for my camera,
> will that also do the same job as a memory stick?

Night_Seer

Thor wrote:
> Memory "stick" and memory "card" are probably different types of
> Digital Camera/flash memory. There are multiple memory form factors
> for cameras, and you need to make sure you get the type that your
> camera can use. Others will not fit.
>
> Here are most of the major formats
>
> Compact Flash (CF)
> Multimedia Card (MMC)
> Smart Media
> Secure Media Card
> MemoryStick (common on Sony products)
> MemoryStick Pro (new, higher capacity version of MemoryStick)
>
> There are others, but they escape my memory at the moment. The point
> is, make sure the type you buy is precisely the type your camera is
> supposed to use.
>

> "Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Novice digital camera user! If I buy a memory card for my camera,
>> will that also do the same job as a memory stick?

Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said, they
are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters to go from
Compact flash to some others).

--
Night_Seer

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
> > Memory "stick" and memory "card" are probably different types of
> > Digital Camera/flash memory. There are multiple memory form factors
> > for cameras, and you need to make sure you get the type that your
> > camera can use. Others will not fit.
> >
> > Here are most of the major formats
> >
> > Compact Flash (CF)
> > Multimedia Card (MMC)
> > Smart Media
> > Secure Media Card
> > MemoryStick (common on Sony products)
> > MemoryStick Pro (new, higher capacity version of MemoryStick)
> >
> > There are others, but they escape my memory at the moment. The point
> > is, make sure the type you buy is precisely the type your camera is
> > supposed to use.
> >

> > "Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >> Novice digital camera user! If I buy a memory card for my camera,
> >> will that also do the same job as a memory stick?

> Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
> Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said, they
> are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters to go from
> Compact flash to some others).

I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more universal
format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have, and memory stick
readers are easy to find these days. Many multiformat readers have memory
stick capability as well these days.

Night_Seer

Thor wrote:
> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thor wrote:
>>> Memory "stick" and memory "card" are probably different types of
>>> Digital Camera/flash memory. There are multiple memory form factors
>>> for cameras, and you need to make sure you get the type that your
>>> camera can use. Others will not fit.
>>>
>>> Here are most of the major formats
>>>
>>> Compact Flash (CF)
>>> Multimedia Card (MMC)
>>> Smart Media
>>> Secure Media Card
>>> MemoryStick (common on Sony products)
>>> MemoryStick Pro (new, higher capacity version of MemoryStick)
>>>
>>> There are others, but they escape my memory at the moment. The point
>>> is, make sure the type you buy is precisely the type your camera is
>>> supposed to use.
>>>

>>> "Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

>> Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
>> Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said,
>> they are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters to
>> go from Compact flash to some others).

> I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more
> universal format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have,
> and memory stick readers are easy to find these days. Many
> multiformat readers have memory stick capability as well these days.

My new printer came with a reader built in...this is the greatest
idea ever...well not the greatest, but still good. I think the worst
thing about the memory stick format is now its divided between regular
ones and the Pro version, which holds larger amounts (256 and up). They
make a Memory stick duo (or dual i don't know), that holds 128 on each
side and works in any of the readers. I have a Sony TV that takes my
memory stick directly and lets me do a slide show from it, but only for
the older format. What's up with this magic gate memory stick..what the
hell is it?

--
Night_Seer

Calvin Crumrine

Night_Seer wrote:

> Thor wrote:
>
>>"Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
>>>Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said,
>>>they are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters to
>>>go from Compact flash to some others).

>>I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more
>>universal format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have,
>>and memory stick readers are easy to find these days. Many
>>multiformat readers have memory stick capability as well these days.

> My new printer came with a reader built in...this is the greatest
> idea ever...well not the greatest, but still good. I think the worst
> thing about the memory stick format is now its divided between regular
> ones and the Pro version, which holds larger amounts (256 and up). They
> make a Memory stick duo (or dual i don't know), that holds 128 on each
> side and works in any of the readers. I have a Sony TV that takes my
> memory stick directly and lets me do a slide show from it, but only for
> the older format. What's up with this magic gate memory stick..what the
> hell is it?

Special version that supports copy protection. Basically, you can't
store copy-protected files on the standard version but you can on the
MagicGate version-not sure how it works as I avoid copy-protected files
like the plague.

Calvin Crumrine

Thor wrote:

> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Thor wrote:
>>
>>>Memory "stick" and memory "card" are probably different types of
>>>Digital Camera/flash memory. There are multiple memory form factors
>>>for cameras, and you need to make sure you get the type that your
>>>camera can use. Others will not fit.
>>>
>>>Here are most of the major formats
>>>
>>>Compact Flash (CF)
>>>Multimedia Card (MMC)
>>>Smart Media
>>>Secure Media Card
>>>MemoryStick (common on Sony products)
>>>MemoryStick Pro (new, higher capacity version of MemoryStick)
>>>
>>>There are others, but they escape my memory at the moment. The point
>>>is, make sure the type you buy is precisely the type your camera is
>>>supposed to use.
>>>

>>>"Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) e.com...

>>Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
>>Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said, they
>>are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters to go from
>>Compact flash to some others).

> I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more universal
> format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have, and memory stick
> readers are easy to find these days. Many multiformat readers have memory
> stick capability as well these days.

Smart Media seems on its way out. Don't believe they make one greater
than 256MB. (256MB might be plenty for still cameras, but the fact that
they quit making them at that point indicates to me that the entire
format is on its way out.)

We've also had problems with SM cards & readers. At home I have an older
camera that uses an SM card, but no reader-I always download directly
from the camera. The card has worked fine for several years now. In the
office we have several cards & a reader so someone else can use the
camera while the first pictures are being downloaded. The result is that
we're always swapping cards in the camera-and we replace the cards
annually because they quit working. IMO the problem is wear on the
contacts from constantly swapping them.

At home I also have several Sony products that use memory sticks. I'm
constantly swapping those & haven't had any problems yet-so I think the
contact design is better than on the Smart Media. Not sure about the
other formats as I have no experience with them yet. My next camera will
probably use one of the other formats-not sure which one, yet.

BTW, I ran across an interesting product relating to this-called the
Jump Drive. It's a USB drive much like a keychain or thumb drive, but
instead of having its own drive it's actually an adapter/reader for one
or more types of memory cards. Lets you use the memory cards not just
for pictures but also as (small) removable drives.

Night_Seer

Calvin Crumrine wrote:
> Night_Seer wrote:
>
>> Thor wrote:
>>
>>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more
>>> universal format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have,
>>> and memory stick readers are easy to find these days. Many
>>> multiformat readers have memory stick capability as well these days.

>> My new printer came with a reader built in...this is the greatest
>> idea ever...well not the greatest, but still good. I think the worst
>> thing about the memory stick format is now its divided between
>> regular ones and the Pro version, which holds larger amounts (256
>> and up). They make a Memory stick duo (or dual i don't know), that
>> holds 128 on each side and works in any of the readers. I have a
>> Sony TV that takes my memory stick directly and lets me do a slide
>> show from it, but only for the older format. What's up with this
>> magic gate memory stick..what the hell is it?
>>

> Special version that supports copy protection. Basically, you can't
> store copy-protected files on the standard version but you can on the
> MagicGate version-not sure how it works as I avoid copy-protected
> files like the plague.

Ah yes...i'll avoid these sticks like the plague too...unless its
something like those password protected USB keychain drives...that's
always a nice thing to have.

--
Night_Seer

Night_Seer

Calvin Crumrine wrote:
> Thor wrote:
>
>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
>>> Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said,
>>> they are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters
>>> to go from Compact flash to some others).

>> I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more
>> universal format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have,
>> and memory stick readers are easy to find these days. Many
>> multiformat readers have memory stick capability as well these days.
>>

> Smart Media seems on its way out. Don't believe they make one greater
> than 256MB. (256MB might be plenty for still cameras, but the fact
> that they quit making them at that point indicates to me that the
> entire format is on its way out.)
>
> We've also had problems with SM cards & readers. At home I have an
> older camera that uses an SM card, but no reader-I always download
> directly from the camera. The card has worked fine for several years
> now. In the office we have several cards & a reader so someone else
> can use the camera while the first pictures are being downloaded. The
> result is that we're always swapping cards in the camera-and we
> replace the cards annually because they quit working. IMO the problem
> is wear on the contacts from constantly swapping them.
>
> At home I also have several Sony products that use memory sticks. I'm
> constantly swapping those & haven't had any problems yet-so I think
> the contact design is better than on the Smart Media. Not sure about
> the other formats as I have no experience with them yet. My next
> camera will probably use one of the other formats-not sure which one,
> yet.
>
> BTW, I ran across an interesting product relating to this-called the
> Jump Drive. It's a USB drive much like a keychain or thumb drive, but
> instead of having its own drive it's actually an adapter/reader for
> one or more types of memory cards. Lets you use the memory cards not
> just for pictures but also as (small) removable drives.

Yeah my memory sticks have been going and going...don't think I've
ever seen a smart media card. The only other one i've used is a SD-MMC
card in my MP3 player. seems to work ok, but I don't swap it very
much...these are getting to be a very popular format, and larger sizes
seem to be backwards compatible OK. My MP3 player now can hold 512MB
(256 on board and a 256 SD_MMC card).

--
Night_Seer

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
> > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
> >> Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said,
> >> they are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters to
> >> go from Compact flash to some others).

> > I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more
> > universal format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have,
> > and memory stick readers are easy to find these days. Many
> > multiformat readers have memory stick capability as well these days.

> My new printer came with a reader built in...this is the greatest
> idea ever...well not the greatest, but still good. I think the worst
> thing about the memory stick format is now its divided between regular
> ones and the Pro version, which holds larger amounts (256 and up). They
> make a Memory stick duo (or dual i don't know), that holds 128 on each
> side and works in any of the readers. I have a Sony TV that takes my
> memory stick directly and lets me do a slide show from it, but only for
> the older format. What's up with this magic gate memory stick..what the
> hell is it?

MagicGate is a secure format that allows you to "copyright" the pictures.
Don't ask me what that means, but I assume it means the images cannot be
retrieved unless you have the appropriate passwords/codes/software. I have a
Dual 128 stick, and it works well. The pro sticks are only an issue in older
stuff. My new camera accepts Pro, standard, and Magicgate.