Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > windows xp boots slow

windows xp boots slow

Diehard

i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp. used my
cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my nic his pc
now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the windows screen
with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it looking for a network
and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it booted up normally fine, but
without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so. my guess it is looking for a
network, but cant find one. so if this is the case can we tell it not to
look for a network or something?

Duane Arnold

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:jmSBb.10585$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
> used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my
> nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the
> windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it
> looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it
> booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so.
> my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find one. so if this is
> the case can we tell it not to look for a network or something?

Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another model,
let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another manufacturer,
if this is indeed the case.

At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may be
on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website and
download the correct NIC driver and install it.

Duane

Diehard

news:Xns944DE86065DA5darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...
> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:jmSBb.10585$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:
>
> > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
> > used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my
> > nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the
> > windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it
> > looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it
> > booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so.
> > my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find one. so if this is
> > the case can we tell it not to look for a network or something?
> >

> Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
> different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
> not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another model,
> let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another manufacturer,
> if this is indeed the case.
>
> At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
> that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
> the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
> NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may be
> on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website and
> download the correct NIC driver and install it.
>
> Duane

What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

Diehard

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsPYBb.11021$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns944DE86065DA5darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...
> > "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:jmSBb.10585$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:
> >
> > > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
> > > used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my
> > > nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the
> > > windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it
> > > looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it
> > > booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so.
> > > my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find one. so if this is
> > > the case can we tell it not to look for a network or something?
> > >

> > Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
> > different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
> > not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another

model,
> > let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another manufacturer,
> > if this is indeed the case.
> >
> > At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
> > that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
> > the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
> > NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may be
> > on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website and
> > download the correct NIC driver and install it.
> >
> > Duane
> >

> What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

All I mean is I'm not sure it has to do with anything. I took my card out
then it started to boot slowly. I think it's cus it is looking for a network
and can not find one. I am now asking if this is probably the problem and if
I can tell windows xp not to look for a network on bootup, like delete the
network from a control panel network or something like that? He don't have a
network so there's not even a need for me to put in my nic, other then to
get on cable modem access and download stuff faster to complete my install
of win xp for him.

Thor

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EQ%Bb.11359$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsPYBb.11021$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> >
> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns944DE86065DA5darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...
> > > "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > > news:jmSBb.10585$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

my

it

so.

is

> > > Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
> > > different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
> > > not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another

> model,
> > > let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another

manufacturer,
> > > if this is indeed the case.
> > >
> > > At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
> > > that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
> > > the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
> > > NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may

be
> > > on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website

and
> > > download the correct NIC driver and install it.
> > >
> > > Duane
> > >

> > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.
> >

> All I mean is I'm not sure it has to do with anything. I took my card out
> then it started to boot slowly. I think it's cus it is looking for a

network
> and can not find one. I am now asking if this is probably the problem and

if
> I can tell windows xp not to look for a network on bootup, like delete the
> network from a control panel network or something like that? He don't have

> network so there's not even a need for me to put in my nic, other then to
> get on cable modem access and download stuff faster to complete my install
> of win xp for him.

Did you uninstall the card from the device manager prior to removing it?
Perhaps you should try that.

Diehard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EQ%Bb.11359$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> >
> > "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsPYBb.11021$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > >
> > > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:Xns944DE86065DA5darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...

xp.

out
> my

the

it

> it

> so.

this
> is

even

will

> > model,

> manufacturer,

NIC

on

the

may
> be

> and

> > > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.
> > >

> > All I mean is I'm not sure it has to do with anything. I took my card

out
> > then it started to boot slowly. I think it's cus it is looking for a

> network
> > and can not find one. I am now asking if this is probably the problem

and
> if
> > I can tell windows xp not to look for a network on bootup, like delete

the
> > network from a control panel network or something like that? He don't

have
> > network so there's not even a need for me to put in my nic, other then

> > get on cable modem access and download stuff faster to complete my

install
> > of win xp for him.

> Did you uninstall the card from the device manager prior to removing it?
> Perhaps you should try that.

No, but thanks, I'll call my uncle tonight and tell him to do that.

Thor

> > Did you uninstall the card from the device manager prior to removing it?
> > Perhaps you should try that.
> >

> No, but thanks, I'll call my uncle tonight and tell him to do that.

Um, you'll likely need to put your NIC card back in, because it won't be
listed there otherwise. My point was that WindowsXP might do a better job of
removing the network settings/dependencies if the device is uninstalled via
the device manager instead of just arbitrarily yanked out of the system. But
if you've already removed it, you'll need to reinstall it, then uninstall
it.

Duane Arnold

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsPYBb.11021$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns944DE86065DA5darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...
>> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:jmSBb.10585$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:
>>
>> > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
>> > used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out
>> > my nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at
>> > the windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot.
>> > is it looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic
>> > in it it booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3
>> > minutes or so. my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find
>> > one. so if this is the case can we tell it not to look for a
>> > network or something?
>> >

>> Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
>> different drivers for various models within their own line, which
>> will not work when one driver for a particular model is used on
>> another model, let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to
>> another manufacturer, if this is indeed the case.
>>
>> At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the
>> NIC that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by
>> right-clicking on the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And
>> then proceed to the NIC card device and install the correct driver
>> for the NIC, which may be on the XP install CD or you may have to go
>> out to the NIC's Website and download the correct NIC driver and
>> install it.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

machine would even be doing a dial-up. No one can read between the lines
of a misleading post.

And besides, you yanked the NIC out of the machine without disabling it
and that alone could be causing problems.

Duane

Diehard

news:Xns944EB04063B7Bdarnold92insightbbco@204.127. 204.17...
> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> newsPYBb.11021$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:
>

> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns944DE86065DA5darnold92insightbbco@204.127. 199.17...
> >> "Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:jmSBb.10585$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> >> Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
> >> different drivers for various models within their own line, which
> >> will not work when one driver for a particular model is used on
> >> another model, let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to
> >> another manufacturer, if this is indeed the case.
> >>
> >> At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the
> >> NIC that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by
> >> right-clicking on the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And
> >> then proceed to the NIC card device and install the correct driver
> >> for the NIC, which may be on the XP install CD or you may have to go
> >> out to the NIC's Website and download the correct NIC driver and
> >> install it.
> >>
> >> Duane
> >>

> > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

> machine would even be doing a dial-up. No one can read between the lines
> of a misleading post.
>
> And besides, you yanked the NIC out of the machine without disabling it
> and that alone could be causing problems.
>
> Duane

Sorry. ((

Diehard

"Diehard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jmSBb.10585$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp. used

my
> cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my nic his pc
> now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the windows screen
> with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it looking for a

network
> and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it booted up normally fine,

but
> without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so. my guess it is looking for a
> network, but cant find one. so if this is the case can we tell it not to
> look for a network or something?

Ok, so my uncle got to his device manager and there is no network adapter
listed cus he doesn't have it anymore. how does he speed up his boot then? i
took my card out and since then he has to wait like 3 minutes for it to
boot. and i assume it's looking for a network.