Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > ABIT Motherboard

ABIT Motherboard

Steve

Hello all,
I thinking about building my first computer, nothing super. I
understand most components of computers except for the motherboard. I
know the motherboard could be the most important part so I came here
for help.

I'm looking at the following board:

ABIT nForce2 Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors,
Model "NF7" RETAIL

Now the question I have deal with the sound and video of this
motherboard. Could someone out there explain to me about the onboard
video and sound or send me to a place that has this info?

TIA,
Steve

Cyrus

Check this web site for your MOBO. It has NF7 , NF7-S , NF7-M
Motherboards. 6 channel sound is integrated , and your Video card must be
AGP 8X .

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ries=1&model=8

Cyrus
"Steve" <d56mich(remove)@comcast(remove).net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
> I thinking about building my first computer, nothing super. I
> understand most components of computers except for the motherboard. I
> know the motherboard could be the most important part so I came here
> for help.
>
> I'm looking at the following board:
>
> ABIT nForce2 Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors,
> Model "NF7" RETAIL
>
> Now the question I have deal with the sound and video of this
> motherboard. Could someone out there explain to me about the onboard
> video and sound or send me to a place that has this info?
>
> TIA,
> Steve

Wizard

First and foremost, I would reconsider the NF7 and go with a VIA
chipset. Abit is the best but their rendition of nVidia chip sets at the
very best requires constant and aggravating BIOS tweaking and at the
least just plain is not stable. Although nVidia chipsets are touted as
the greatest thing since sliced bread, I have never been able to get
them stable on both Abit and Asus boards. If you insist on the NF7, I
have one here you can have for $25! I just ripped it out of my own
system after screwing with it for over a year.

Steve wrote:

> Hello all,
> I thinking about building my first computer, nothing super. I
> understand most components of computers except for the motherboard. I
> know the motherboard could be the most important part so I came here
> for help.
>
> I'm looking at the following board:
>
> ABIT nForce2 Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors,
> Model "NF7" RETAIL
>
> Now the question I have deal with the sound and video of this
> motherboard. Could someone out there explain to me about the onboard
> video and sound or send me to a place that has this info?
>
> TIA,
> Steve

Thor

My A7N8X (standard) is so damn stable, it's boring. Seriously, (and
thankfully) I've not had the same experience that you evidently had. About 4
of my 6 LAN gaming buddies have the A7N8X deluxe, and they never had any
major difficulties with the board either. Some had initial setup problems,
but nothing insurmountable, and they have been happily gaming away for quite
sometime now. I haven't tried any ABit Nforce boards, but I have sold a few
systems with Gigabyte Nforce2 boards now that my supplier has systems based
on Nforce2, and have heard no complaints from the customers about
instability, etc. I've also never used anything other than WinXP on the
boards, if that matters.

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First and foremost, I would reconsider the NF7 and go with a VIA
> chipset. Abit is the best but their rendition of nVidia chip sets at the
> very best requires constant and aggravating BIOS tweaking and at the
> least just plain is not stable. Although nVidia chipsets are touted as
> the greatest thing since sliced bread, I have never been able to get
> them stable on both Abit and Asus boards. If you insist on the NF7, I
> have one here you can have for $25! I just ripped it out of my own
> system after screwing with it for over a year.
>
> Steve wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> > I thinking about building my first computer, nothing super. I
> > understand most components of computers except for the motherboard. I
> > know the motherboard could be the most important part so I came here
> > for help.
> >
> > I'm looking at the following board:
> >
> > ABIT nForce2 Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors,
> > Model "NF7" RETAIL
> >
> > Now the question I have deal with the sound and video of this
> > motherboard. Could someone out there explain to me about the onboard
> > video and sound or send me to a place that has this info?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Steve

Michael-NC

Nforce 2 boards, generally, do not like the default bios setup. I have 2 and
have read of many, many people having to tweak bios setting to get the
system stable. Mostly it involved setting the memory and AGP timing to user
defined and locking them to the FSB. I lot of people have trouble OC'ing
with this board.

That said, my 2 boards, a deluxe and plain vanilla nForce 2 setups, have
been as stable as my K7S5A boxes. That is a huge complement.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My A7N8X (standard) is so damn stable, it's boring. Seriously, (and
> thankfully) I've not had the same experience that you evidently had. About

4
> of my 6 LAN gaming buddies have the A7N8X deluxe, and they never had any
> major difficulties with the board either. Some had initial setup problems,
> but nothing insurmountable, and they have been happily gaming away for

quite
> sometime now. I haven't tried any ABit Nforce boards, but I have sold a

few
> systems with Gigabyte Nforce2 boards now that my supplier has systems

based
> on Nforce2, and have heard no complaints from the customers about
> instability, etc. I've also never used anything other than WinXP on the
> boards, if that matters.
>

> ..
> "Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > First and foremost, I would reconsider the NF7 and go with a VIA
> > chipset. Abit is the best but their rendition of nVidia chip sets at the
> > very best requires constant and aggravating BIOS tweaking and at the
> > least just plain is not stable. Although nVidia chipsets are touted as
> > the greatest thing since sliced bread, I have never been able to get
> > them stable on both Abit and Asus boards. If you insist on the NF7, I
> > have one here you can have for $25! I just ripped it out of my own
> > system after screwing with it for over a year.
> >
> > Steve wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > > I thinking about building my first computer, nothing super. I
> > > understand most components of computers except for the motherboard. I
> > > know the motherboard could be the most important part so I came here
> > > for help.
> > >
> > > I'm looking at the following board:
> > >
> > > ABIT nForce2 Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors,
> > > Model "NF7" RETAIL
> > >
> > > Now the question I have deal with the sound and video of this
> > > motherboard. Could someone out there explain to me about the onboard
> > > video and sound or send me to a place that has this info?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Steve

Thor

Fair enough. I did end up setting my Crucial 333Mhz memory to "sync" with
the CPU bus at 266Mhz because it wasn't stable running the memory at top
speed. In any case, reports are that it is faster this way, anyway.

news:4QLAb.88113$(E-Mail Removed). com...