Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help Windows XP

Help Windows XP

Arnaud and Katrina

Hi guys,

For the last couple of days windows been taking ages to load and everything
seems to run slow, take time to open anything.
Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
Thanks.

Arnaud

Duane Arnold

"Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3fd1faac$0$20185$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> Hi guys,
>
> For the last couple of days windows been taking ages to load and
> everything seems to run slow, take time to open anything.
> Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
> Thanks.
>
> Arnaud

Your machine could be compromised by some kind of malware that is slowing
it down. That's usually the case when the O/S starts to slow down as you
have indicated.

Duane

Arnaud and Katrina

what is the best thing to do in this case?

thanks.

news:Xns944987D6F775Fnotmwnotmecom@216.148.227.77. ..
> "Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3fd1faac$0$20185$(E-Mail Removed) u:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > For the last couple of days windows been taking ages to load and
> > everything seems to run slow, take time to open anything.
> > Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Arnaud
> >

> Your machine could be compromised by some kind of malware that is slowing
> it down. That's usually the case when the O/S starts to slow down as you
> have indicated.
>
> Duane

mark mandel

"Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fd26f6f$0$14056$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> what is the best thing to do in this case?

Run a virus scan. Check for spyware through the Spybot program(like Spybot
search & destroy)or Ad Aware(through www.lavasoft.com).

However, you should also run Scandisk and defrag the hard drive. Also
consider scrapping other programs that may be taking up more RAM than you
need.

Mark Mandell

> thanks.
>
> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns944987D6F775Fnotmwnotmecom@216.148.227.77. ..
> > "Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:3fd1faac$0$20185$(E-Mail Removed) u:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > For the last couple of days windows been taking ages to load and
> > > everything seems to run slow, take time to open anything.
> > > Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Arnaud
> > >

> > Your machine could be compromised by some kind of malware that is

slowing
> > it down. That's usually the case when the O/S starts to slow down as you
> > have indicated.
> >
> > Duane

Arnaud and Katrina

that has been done anything else appart from that if it's a malware defrag
or scan disk wont be doing anything for me.

Thanks
"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OzuAb.2895$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fd26f6f$0$14056$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> > what is the best thing to do in this case?

> Run a virus scan. Check for spyware through the Spybot program(like

Spybot
> search & destroy)or Ad Aware(through www.lavasoft.com).
>
> However, you should also run Scandisk and defrag the hard drive. Also
> consider scrapping other programs that may be taking up more RAM than you
> need.
>
> Mark Mandell
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns944987D6F775Fnotmwnotmecom@216.148.227.77. ..
> > > "Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > > news:3fd1faac$0$20185$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> > > Your machine could be compromised by some kind of malware that is

> slowing
> > > it down. That's usually the case when the O/S starts to slow down as

you
> > > have indicated.
> > >
> > > Duane

Duane Arnold

"Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3fd26f6f$0$14056$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> what is the best thing to do in this case?
>
> thanks.
>
> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns944987D6F775Fnotmwnotmecom@216.148.227.77. ..
>> "Arnaud and Katrina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:3fd1faac$0$20185$(E-Mail Removed) u:
>>
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > For the last couple of days windows been taking ages to load and
>> > everything seems to run slow, take time to open anything.
>> > Does anyone got any clue> didn't install anything.....
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Arnaud
>> >

>> Your machine could be compromised by some kind of malware that is
>> slowing it down. That's usually the case when the O/S starts to slow
>> down as you have indicated.
>>
>> Duane

You can use Active Ports (free) to watch the outbound connections for
Trojans. You can use Process Explorer or PRCView to examine the processes
that are running on the machine both are (free), along with using XP's
Audit Process Tracking, Audit Object Access and XP's Event Viewer
Security to view the events.

The tools may help you spot something. Look at svchost.exe and
dllhost.exe as they can run as Trojans, they are not running out of
Windows\System32.

Duane