Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DDR question

DDR question

Robert Baer

I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
the computer has an Intel processor.
WTF gives?

DeMoN LaG

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
@earthlink.net:

> I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
> However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
> the computer has an Intel processor.
> WTF gives?

I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will be
fine.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Kenny Cargill

Go to:
http://www.crucial.com/calculator/
Put in your m/b type and it will tell you the correct type of RAM.

--

Kenny

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
> However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
> the computer has an Intel processor.
> WTF gives?

Thor

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
> @earthlink.net:
>
> > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
> > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
> > the computer has an Intel processor.
> > WTF gives?

> I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
> platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
> PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will

be
> fine.

Unless his board requires RDRAM. That might explain the difference in price.

Robert Baer

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
> @earthlink.net:
>
> > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
> > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
> > the computer has an Intel processor.
> > WTF gives?

> I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
> platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
> PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will be
> fine.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

That is exactly what i thought; that is why i askes the question.

Robert Baer

Thor wrote:

> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> > Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
> > @earthlink.net:
> >
> > > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
> > > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
> > > the computer has an Intel processor.
> > > WTF gives?

> > I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
> > platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
> > PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will

> be
> > fine.

> Unless his board requires RDRAM. That might explain the difference in price.

Nope; even so, the processor should make no difference as the memory
controller and interface (north ridge??) would be designed for the
specific processor.

Robert Baer

Kenny Cargill wrote:

> Go to:
> http://www.crucial.com/calculator/
> Put in your m/b type and it will tell you the correct type of RAM.
>
> --
>
> Kenny
>
> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
> > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
> > the computer has an Intel processor.
> > WTF gives?

Sounds like a good idea, except they list only a few VIA boards to
begin with, and not mine.
I know what i have in DDR RAM (CAS latency 2.5) and can find matches
easily, and more if i ignore the AMD/Intel flim-flam.

DeMoN LaG

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Nope; even so, the processor should make no difference as the memory
> controller and interface (north ridge??) would be designed for the
> specific processor.

The processor would make no difference provided the northbridge and
motherboard were designed for DDR. However, since you are saying you
indeed do have DDR RAM, I see no reason to pay more than what Crucial
charges for it.

--

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Nope; even so, the processor should make no difference as the memory
> > controller and interface (north ridge??) would be designed for the
> > specific processor.
> >

> The processor would make no difference provided the northbridge and
> motherboard were designed for DDR. However, since you are saying you
> indeed do have DDR RAM, I see no reason to pay more than what Crucial
> charges for it.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

I agree; what i did was buy from the first seller that indicated
support of my motherboard with zero "re-stocking fee" (which is really
their profit).
Had to pay $115 per 1Gbyte stick instead of $105 from those that did
not have that support option and/or had the AMD/Intel flim-flam.
I figure the extra cost is worth staying away from possible BS.