Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Promise Controller Problem

Promise Controller Problem

mcp6453

I just bought a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card (made by Promise)
to upgrade a Pentium III machine. After installing the card, Windows
2000 prompted me for drivers, which it found and installed. The BIOS was
changed to boot from SCSI. The existing drive was moved to the
controller IDE1 position. When I boot the computer, the CPU fan acts
like there is a loose connection -- it is momentarily switched off. When
the computer boots, it stops on the Windows 2000 screen just before the
icons appear.

I put it back with the hard drive on IDE1 on the motherboard, and all
works well. Could the controller card be bad? Last time I installed one,
I had not problems at all.

(This message was posted to another newsgroup, but no one responded.)

DeMoN LaG

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I put it back with the hard drive on IDE1 on the motherboard, and all
> works well. Could the controller card be bad? Last time I installed one,
> I had not problems at all.

You can't install the controller, and then move the boot drive to the
controller. Windows can't cope with that. You would have to install
Windows again and press F6 when it prompts you during setup and provide it
the drivers then.

mcp6453

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I put it back with the hard drive on IDE1 on the motherboard, and all
> > works well. Could the controller card be bad? Last time I installed one,
> > I had not problems at all.

> You can't install the controller, and then move the boot drive to the
> controller. Windows can't cope with that. You would have to install
> Windows again and press F6 when it prompts you during setup and provide it
> the drivers then.

That's not what the instructions say. Moreover, I did just this on
another machine. Maybe I'll swap controllers to see if the new one is
bad.

When the drive is recognized in Windows prior to a drive being attached,
the proper drivers are loaded on the drive to make it bootable with the
new controller.

Plato

mcp6453 wrote:

> I just bought a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card (made by Promise)
> to upgrade a Pentium III machine. After installing the card, Windows

Just from memory I recall many folks having to go to promise to download
the latest drivers for it to work. The inlcuded drivers that ms supplies
seem to be outdated.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

mcp6453

Plato wrote:

> Just from memory I recall many folks having to go to promise to download
> the latest drivers for it to work. The inlcuded drivers that ms supplies
> seem to be outdated.

I'll double check for latest drivers. When I swapped this card with an
identical card in a working system, everything worked fine. The other
system, however, is Windows 98.