Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Opinions on Motherboard

Reply
Thread Tools

Opinions on Motherboard

 
 
Mike the Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2003
Hi all,



I currently run an AMD 1GHz Duron CPU on a DFI mobo but am seriously considering an upgrade to an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU,
Socket 478, 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache.



I'd like to get opinions from the readers of this very knowledgeable group as to the best motherboard for this CPU in terms
of stability and/or performance before I make my decision because price may also be a factor.



Computer parts, software, basically anything computer related cost a **** of a lot more in NZ than they do in the USA.



Your help is greatly appreciated (c:



Cheers

Mike the Kiwi


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike the Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2003
Also is there any significant difference between the Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU and Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU, and could they
utilize the same mobo??

Cheers
Mike the Kiwi


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2003
"Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I currently run an AMD 1GHz Duron CPU on a DFI mobo but am seriously
> considering an upgrade to an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU, Socket 478,
> 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache.


Don't get a celeron, it's a pile of ****. A Celeron 2.4 ghz runs slower
than an Athlon XP 1600+ in about 75% of the benchmarks it was run through.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2003
"Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Also is there any significant difference between the Intel Celeron
> 2.4GHz CPU and Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU, and could they utilize the
> same mobo??
>


They can use the same board. There is little difference, they both stink.
If you are going to go low end, get an Athlon XP. If you are going for the
intel line, get a P4. The celeron is a joke of a CPU.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wizard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2003
-No-Archive:Yes

Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech
Support, failure rate
and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):

Abit ................. 10.0
Asus .................. 9.5
Gigabyte .............. 9.4
Intel ................. 8.5
Tyan .................. 8.0
Epox .................. 6.8
Soyo .................. 6.0
SUPERMICRO ............ 5.1
MSI ................... 5.0
AOPEN ................. 4.0
FIC ................... 3.1
SHUTTLE ............... 2.9
Gigabyte .............. 2.8 (4 Layer)
IWILL ................. 2.0
BIOSTAR ............... 2.0
ECS ................... 1.8 (4 Layer)
VPSD .................. No experience
ALBATRON .............. No experience
DFI ................... No experience

Mike the Kiwi wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I currently run an AMD 1GHz Duron CPU on a DFI mobo but am seriously considering an upgrade to an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU,
> Socket 478, 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache.
>
> I'd like to get opinions from the readers of this very knowledgeable group as to the best motherboard for this CPU in terms
> of stability and/or performance before I make my decision because price may also be a factor.
>
> Computer parts, software, basically anything computer related cost a **** of a lot more in NZ than they do in the USA.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated (c:
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike the Kiwi

 
Reply With Quote
 
mark mandel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2003

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
news:Xns94497F23C682Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
> "Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I currently run an AMD 1GHz Duron CPU on a DFI mobo but am seriously
> > considering an upgrade to an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU, Socket 478,
> > 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache.

>
> Don't get a celeron, it's a pile of ****. A Celeron 2.4 ghz runs slower
> than an Athlon XP 1600+ in about 75% of the benchmarks it was run through.


So what is your criteria for knocking the celeron, I'm just curious? I
happen to have a Celeron III, 1 ghz. processor, 256 MB. RAM, everything
works just fine, never any problems in the two years I've had. I'll admit I
don't run games on it but for anything else I do, always has worked
perfectly.



 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2003
"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:0IuAb.2909$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net:

> So what is your criteria for knocking the celeron, I'm just curious?
> I happen to have a Celeron III, 1 ghz. processor, 256 MB. RAM,
> everything works just fine, never any problems in the two years I've
> had. I'll admit I don't run games on it but for anything else I do,
> always has worked perfectly.


I don't have anything wrong with the Celeron III, based on the Pentium 3
line. The Celeron 4's are crap. The only advantage the P4 has is the
cache and higher FSB speeds. The Celeron 4 doesn't have the high FSB, and
doesn't have much cache. So it ends up stinking.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2003

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0IuAb.2909$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> news:Xns94497F23C682Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
> > "Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > I currently run an AMD 1GHz Duron CPU on a DFI mobo but am seriously
> > > considering an upgrade to an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU, Socket 478,
> > > 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache.

> >
> > Don't get a celeron, it's a pile of ****. A Celeron 2.4 ghz runs slower
> > than an Athlon XP 1600+ in about 75% of the benchmarks it was run

through.
>
> So what is your criteria for knocking the celeron, I'm just curious? I
> happen to have a Celeron III, 1 ghz. processor, 256 MB. RAM, everything
> works just fine, never any problems in the two years I've had. I'll admit

I
> don't run games on it but for anything else I do, always has worked
> perfectly.


Having problems, and having poor performance versus the competition are two
different issues entirely. No one is claiming the Celeron is unreliable. Far
from it. It is very reliable, and runs business apps and non-demanding games
just fine. But when compared to an Athlon which blows it away for a similar
price, there's just no question which should be the choice when getting a
new system, or substantially upgrading an existing one.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike the Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2003
Opinions on CPU's below as to the best performance-wise.

AMD Duron - Socket A $ Inc GST
AMD Duron 1.4GHz, Socket A, 133MHz FSB (266MHz), 128k-L1 + 64k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $95.00
AMD Duron 1.6GHz, Socket A, 133MHz FSB (266MHz), 128k-L1 + 64k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $100.00
AMD Athlon "XP" - Socket A $ Inc GST
AMD Athlon XP2000+ (1.67GHz), Boxed Socket A, 133MHz FSB (266MHz), 128k-L1 + 256k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $135.00
AMD Athlon XP2200+ (1.80GHz), Boxed Socket A, 133MHz FSB (266MHz), 128k-L1 + 256k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $150.00
AMD Athlon XP2400+ (2.00GHz), Boxed Socket A, 133MHz FSB (266MHz), 128k-L1 + 256k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $170.00
AMD Athlon XP2500+ (1.83GHz, Barton), Boxed Socket A, 166MHz FSB (333MHz), 128k-L1 + 512k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan
$185.00
AMD Athlon XP2600+ (1.917GHz, Barton), Boxed Socket A, 166MHz FSB (333MHz), 128k-L1 + 512k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan
$215.00
AMD Athlon XP2700+ (2.167GHz), Boxed Socket A, 166MHz FSB (333MHz), 128k-L1 + 256k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $240.00
AMD Athlon XP2800+ (2.083GHz, Barton), Boxed Socket A, 166MHz FSB (333MHz), 128k-L1 + 512k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan
$300.00
AMD Athlon XP3000+ (2.167GHz, Barton), Boxed Socket A, 166MHz FSB (333MHz), 128k-L1 + 512k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan
$440.00
AMD Athlon XP3200+ (Barton), Boxed Socket A, 200MHz FSB (400MHz), 128k-L1 + 512k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $665.00
AMD Athlon64 - Socket 754 $ Inc GST
AMD Athlon64 3200+ Socket754 CPU OEM (without Fan) $770.00
AMD Athlon64 3200+ Socket754 CPU Boxed $895.00
AMD Athlon64 FX51 & Opteron - Socket 940 $ Inc GST
Call $0.00
AMD Athlon "MP" - Dual Socket A $ Inc GST
Call $0.00
Intel Celeron - Socket 370 FC-PGA2 $ Inc GST
Intel Celeron 1.3GHz, Socket 370 (FC-PGA2) with Heatsink/Fan $130.00
Intel Celeron - Socket 478 $ Inc GST
Intel Celeron 2.0GHz CPU, Socket 478, 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache with Heatsink/Fan $145.00
Intel Celeron 2.2GHz CPU, Socket 478, 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache with Heatsink/Fan $150.00
Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU, Socket 478, 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache with Heatsink/Fan $145.00
Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU, Socket 478, 100MHz FSB, 128k L2 Cache with Heatsink/Fan $195.00
Intel Pentium 4 - Socket 478 $ Inc GST
Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 47 2.66GHz (533MHz FSB) CPU & Heatsink/Fan $350.00
Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 47 2.6GHz (800MHz FSB), Hyperthreading CPU & Heatsink/Fan $350.00
Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 47 2.8GHz (800MHz FSB), Hyperthreading CPU & Heatsink/Fan $430.00
Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 47 3.0GHz (800MHz FSB), Hyperthreading CPU & Heatsink/Fan $530.00


 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2003
"Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1070790153.114269
@kyle.snap.net.nz:

> Opinions on CPU's below as to the best performance-wise.
>


If you want the best performance:
AMD Athlon64 FX51 & Opteron - Socket 940 $ Inc GST
Call $0.00
If you want the cheapest price:
AMD Duron 1.4GHz, Socket A, 133MHz FSB (266MHz), 128k-L1 + 64k-L2
Cache, with Heatsink/Fan $95.00
If you want a good mix of price to performance:
AMD Athlon XP2500+ (1.83GHz, Barton), Boxed Socket A, 166MHz FSB
(333MHz), 128k-L1 + 512k-L2 Cache, with Heatsink/Fan
$185.00

However, I find these prices are all extremely high vs what a retailer like
Newegg.com sells them for. I just recently bought a retail Athlon XP2500+
retail package with heatsink/fan for under $90, however, I recognize you
are in New Zealand, and I don't know if you are posting this in your
currency or american dollars.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to get motherboard 1394 cable? (FIC P4-865PE motherboard) sub NZ Computing 9 06-26-2006 05:37 AM
HEXUS.opinions :: Have a happy happy gaming holiday Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-23-2005 04:12 PM
HEXUS.opinions :: Hey, take a look at my 15-inch $2,300 TV Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-20-2005 03:34 AM
OPINIONS/EXPERIENCE PLEASE: Wireless Network Adapters and Base Stations of different brands Jimmy Dean Wireless Networking 2 02-22-2005 02:42 PM
MotherBoard Opinions MrMel Computer Support 3 07-22-2003 02:08 AM



Advertisments