Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > zone alarm and router

zone alarm and router

Gary Lawrence

I just installed a router for my desktop(wire) and my wife's laptop
(wireless).Do I still need to run zone alarm pro?

--
25 weeks to go , but who is counting
Gary and Karla , that`s who !

Chet

If the router has an adequate firewall then you don't need a separate one in
each computer. Some routers do and some don't. Personally, I prefer to
have the control at the individual computer.
"Gary Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just installed a router for my desktop(wire) and my wife's laptop
> (wireless).Do I still need to run zone alarm pro?
>
> --
> 25 weeks to go , but who is counting
> Gary and Karla , that`s who !

Duane Arnold

"Gary Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I just installed a router for my desktop(wire) and my wife's laptop
> (wireless).Do I still need to run zone alarm pro?

If you're not concerned about outbound connections, then you don't need a
host based FW on the machine behind a NAT router, because the NAT router
will stop unsolicted inbound traffic.

If you start opening ports on the NAT router doing port forwarding of port
(s) to a machine, then you will need a hoat based FW on the machine,
becasue the NAT router will not protect on the inbound on the port
forwarded port(s).

The cheap NAT router for home use doesn't have a FW. At best, it may have
SPI. The NAT router has FW like features but is not a FW.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...rewall_do.html

A true FW appliance such as WatchGuard Firebox SOHO 6 line start at $375

Duane