Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > restart problem please help

restart problem please help

Andy F

My win 98se PC does not restart. I have installed a new processor and new
bios to make it run. Now when I restart my pc says windows is closing but
then the
monitor goes blank and gives the error message "input signal out of
range,adjust frequency" then nothing else happens.

I have tried disabling APM , this has no effect. I have tried changing irq's
to bios, I have fiddled with all the bios settings I can understand, and
some I don't. But it still will not work.It will restart to DOS and most of
the time it shuts down, except whenever I see the windows is shutting down
screen, which means windows is not going to shut down. I see this screen
just before I get the out of range message. Does anyone have any idea what
may be causing this
as I am getting desperate now.

Thanks
Andy

Jerry G.

Is the new processor too fast for your mother board? Many of the mother
boards have a limitation for faster processor speeds. I have one friend of
mine that we put in a new processor. It turned out that his mother board
would not support anything faster than a 450 mHz. We had a hard time to find
one that was new, and that slow for a P III. We were easily able to find
the 1000 mHz processors without a problem.

If you have a later version of a P III mother board, in many instances, you
can replace the mother board with a P IV type. Everything should work with
it.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Andy F" <nosoft.toiletpaper@hotelbastardos> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Wizard

Have you tried the "shutdown" patch from M$?

Andy F wrote:

> My win 98se PC does not restart. I have installed a new processor and new
> bios to make it run. Now when I restart my pc says windows is closing but
> then the
> monitor goes blank and gives the error message "input signal out of
> range,adjust frequency" then nothing else happens.
>
> I have tried disabling APM , this has no effect. I have tried changing irq's
> to bios, I have fiddled with all the bios settings I can understand, and
> some I don't. But it still will not work.It will restart to DOS and most of
> the time it shuts down, except whenever I see the windows is shutting down
> screen, which means windows is not going to shut down. I see this screen
> just before I get the out of range message. Does anyone have any idea what
> may be causing this
> as I am getting desperate now.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

B.D.Cubit

Andy,
Try the windows 98 shutdown patch. Also the out of Range message is from
your monitor, it is telling you that the PC is not sending a signal from the
video card. I hope this helps.
"Andy F" <nosoft.toiletpaper@hotelbastardos> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My win 98se PC does not restart. I have installed a new processor and new
> bios to make it run. Now when I restart my pc says windows is closing but
> then the
> monitor goes blank and gives the error message "input signal out of
> range,adjust frequency" then nothing else happens.
>
> I have tried disabling APM , this has no effect. I have tried changing

irq's
> to bios, I have fiddled with all the bios settings I can understand, and
> some I don't. But it still will not work.It will restart to DOS and most

of
> the time it shuts down, except whenever I see the windows is shutting down
> screen, which means windows is not going to shut down. I see this screen
> just before I get the out of range message. Does anyone have any idea what
> may be causing this
> as I am getting desperate now.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

dsr@Florence.edu

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:20:06 -0000, "Andy F"
<nosoft.toiletpaper@hotelbastardos> wrote:

>My win 98se PC does not restart. I have installed a new processor and new
>bios to make it run. Now when I restart my pc says windows is closing but
>then the
>monitor goes blank and gives the error message "input signal out of
>range,adjust frequency" then nothing else happens.
>
>I have tried disabling APM , this has no effect. I have tried changing irq's
>to bios, I have fiddled with all the bios settings I can understand, and
>some I don't. But it still will not work.It will restart to DOS and most of
>the time it shuts down, except whenever I see the windows is shutting down
>screen, which means windows is not going to shut down. I see this screen
>just before I get the out of range message. Does anyone have any idea what
>may be causing this
>as I am getting desperate now.
>
>Thanks
>Andy

Did the system work after the bios update but before you rejumpered
the CPU socket?