Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > xp passwords

xp passwords

Kyle McCluer

Folks,
Made the mistake of creating a windows password when setting up xp pro on
a pc at the family business. The current user would like to have this
disabled so that she does not have to log onto her computer locally. She
will still need to log onto the network..but seems to dispise having to log
on locally. Can this be disabled? I assume that If I had not entered this in
the first place, I would not be asking this question.

Thanks in advance!

Calvin Crumrine

Kyle McCluer wrote:
> Folks,
> Made the mistake of creating a windows password when setting up xp pro on
> a pc at the family business. The current user would like to have this
> disabled so that she does not have to log onto her computer locally. She
> will still need to log onto the network..but seems to dispise having to log
> on locally. Can this be disabled? I assume that If I had not entered this in
> the first place, I would not be asking this question.
>
> Thanks in advance!

You should be able to delete the password, or set it as the default, or
(my recommendation) synchronize it with the network. More details (what
kind of network, whether this is the only user-other than admin) would help.

To delete it, go into change password. For the new password, leave it
blank. To set it as default use Start, Run, control userpasswrods2.

Kyle McCluer

Thanks for the info!
It is a one user machine. When you say sync with the network..can you be a
little more specific? Server 2000 O/S 5 pc'son the network all running xp
pro.

Thanks!
Kyle
"Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kyle McCluer wrote:
> > Folks,
> > Made the mistake of creating a windows password when setting up xp pro

on
> > a pc at the family business. The current user would like to have this
> > disabled so that she does not have to log onto her computer locally. She
> > will still need to log onto the network..but seems to dispise having to

log
> > on locally. Can this be disabled? I assume that If I had not entered

this in
> > the first place, I would not be asking this question.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> You should be able to delete the password, or set it as the default, or
> (my recommendation) synchronize it with the network. More details (what
> kind of network, whether this is the only user-other than admin) would

help.

> To delete it, go into change password. For the new password, leave it
> blank. To set it as default use Start, Run, control userpasswrods2.

Duane Arnold

"Kyle McCluer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for the info!
> It is a one user machine. When you say sync with the network..can
> you be a
> little more specific? Server 2000 O/S 5 pc'son the network all running
> xp pro.
>
> Thanks!
> Kyle
> "Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Kyle McCluer wrote:
>> > Folks,
>> > Made the mistake of creating a windows password when setting up
>> > xp pro

> on
>> > a pc at the family business. The current user would like to have
>> > this disabled so that she does not have to log onto her computer
>> > locally. She will still need to log onto the network..but seems to
>> > dispise having to

> log
>> > on locally. Can this be disabled? I assume that If I had not
>> > entered

> this in
>> > the first place, I would not be asking this question.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >

>> You should be able to delete the password, or set it as the default,
>> or (my recommendation) synchronize it with the network. More details
>> (what kind of network, whether this is the only user-other than
>> admin) would

> help.
>>
>> To delete it, go into change password. For the new password, leave it
>> blank. To set it as default use Start, Run, control userpasswrods2.

There is no such thing as sync a psw on the MS network that I know of. You
can sync user-id and psw between two NT based machines doing File Sharing
so that one doesn't have to logon to the other machine when accessing
shared folders or files.

You should force that person to enter a valid user-id and PSW. I'll bet the
person wants to run with an Admin Account under this condition. If insist,
then give an account that doesn't have Admin rights, if possible.
Obviously, the person doesn't have a *clue* about the security risks of the
machine being compromised by malware such as a backdoor Trojan. If you
leave the door open, the wrong dogs may come home.

If you have not done so, you may want to *harden* that XP O/S to attack.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

Duane

Calvin Crumrine

OK-so you're either set up with Active Directory or you're running as a
workgroup server which is basically peer-to-peer. I don't work with
Active Directory so I can't give you specifics if that's the case. If
it's the latter then all you should need to do is create an account on
the server with the same username & password as on the local machine.

If the user doesn't enter their password on the local machine then I
assume that the password never expires-so be sure to set the password on
the server similarly so that once synchornized they won't get out of synch.

Duane Arnold wrote:

> "Kyle McCluer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Thanks for the info!
>> It is a one user machine. When you say sync with the network..can
>> you be a
>>little more specific? Server 2000 O/S 5 pc'son the network all running
>>xp pro.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Kyle
>>"Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>on

>>log

>>this in

>>>You should be able to delete the password, or set it as the default,
>>>or (my recommendation) synchronize it with the network. More details
>>>(what kind of network, whether this is the only user-other than
>>>admin) would

>>help.
>>
>>>To delete it, go into change password. For the new password, leave it
>>>blank. To set it as default use Start, Run, control userpasswrods2.
>>>

> There is no such thing as sync a psw on the MS network that I know of. You
> can sync user-id and psw between two NT based machines doing File Sharing
> so that one doesn't have to logon to the other machine when accessing
> shared folders or files.
>
> You should force that person to enter a valid user-id and PSW. I'll bet the
> person wants to run with an Admin Account under this condition. If insist,
> then give an account that doesn't have Admin rights, if possible.
> Obviously, the person doesn't have a *clue* about the security risks of the
> machine being compromised by malware such as a backdoor Trojan. If you
> leave the door open, the wrong dogs may come home.
>
> If you have not done so, you may want to *harden* that XP O/S to attack.
>
> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php
>
> Duane

While I don't necessarily disagree about it being a bad idea, I heartily
dislike people who 'force' me to do something 'for my own good'. What I
believe in is a little thing called freedom. If I want to be a fool then
I should have the right to be a fool-and pay the price.

Basically, forcing a customer to do something they don't want to do is a
sure way to lose a customer-and it doesn't really matter *why* you do
it-you'll still lose the customer.

Try convincing them instead-and if you can't convince them then you have
two options-give in gracefully or tell them that *you* won't help them &
advise them to find another consultant. Don't tell them that it can't be
done either-once they find out otherwise (and they will) then you'll
lose your reputation. Be honest-tell them that it's simply something
that you're not willing to do, even for them. Even if you lose them as a
customer you won't lose your rep.