Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Emptying DLL cache and Prefetch folders?

Emptying DLL cache and Prefetch folders?

Kenny Cargill

I have a dll cache folder of 474MB in \system32 and one of 88MB in
\LastGood\System 32. Also a much smaller Prefetch folder. Can I safely
delete the contents of these? Will these fill up again if I do and what are
the advantages or otherwise of doing so?

--

Kenny

AT

NO.....You can not delete the dllcache. They are a part of the Windows File
Protection. Normally they are compressed to save some space. If they are not
compressed....make them.

AT

"Kenny Cargill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqg118$22gi12$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> I have a dll cache folder of 474MB in \system32 and one of 88MB in
> \LastGood\System 32. Also a much smaller Prefetch folder. Can I safely
> delete the contents of these? Will these fill up again if I do and what

are
> the advantages or otherwise of doing so?
>
> --
>
> Kenny

DeMoN LaG

"AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in
news6Pyb.23240$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net:

> NO.....You can not delete the dllcache. They are a part of the Windows
> File Protection. Normally they are compressed to save some space. If
> they are not compressed....make them.

If you delete the dllcache folder, Windows File Protection will kick in and
replace the files you deleted.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

AT

NO.....Since Windows File Protection is depending on dllcache to be able to
make copies to replace deleted files this will not work. If dllcache is
deleted there is nothing to make copies from! Result of that is that you can
not replace a defect/deleted file that neads to be replaced.
There is reasons for why MS has put some files and folders as Hidden and by
default not show them.

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in
> news6Pyb.23240$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net:
>
> > NO.....You can not delete the dllcache. They are a part of the Windows
> > File Protection. Normally they are compressed to save some space. If
> > they are not compressed....make them.

> If you delete the dllcache folder, Windows File Protection will kick in

and
> replace the files you deleted.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

DeMoN LaG

"AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in
news:VKUyb.24279$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> NO.....Since Windows File Protection is depending on dllcache to be
> able to make copies to replace deleted files this will not work. If
> dllcache is deleted there is nothing to make copies from! Result of
> that is that you can not replace a defect/deleted file that neads to
> be replaced. There is reasons for why MS has put some files and
> folders as Hidden and by default not show them.

Case in point:
I like Notepad+ instead of notepad. I rename Notepad+.exe to Notepad.exe,
and drop it into the dllcache folder. Windows replaces my version with the
version in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

AT

Try this!
Delete your notepad.exe from your dllcache and delete the notepad.exe from
system32 and you know why you should not mess around with this. There is a
delay(I think the dllcache is checked every 5 minutes?) and if you have just
a little bit bad luck you will end up with installing the files from your
CD.
The dllcache exists as a backup for the System files, not the other way
around. Even if it works that way to!

AT

> "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in
> news:VKUyb.24279$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:
>
> > NO.....Since Windows File Protection is depending on dllcache to be
> > able to make copies to replace deleted files this will not work. If
> > dllcache is deleted there is nothing to make copies from! Result of
> > that is that you can not replace a defect/deleted file that neads to
> > be replaced. There is reasons for why MS has put some files and
> > folders as Hidden and by default not show them.

> Case in point:
> I like Notepad+ instead of notepad. I rename Notepad+.exe to Notepad.exe,
> and drop it into the dllcache folder. Windows replaces my version with

the
> version in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

polishpickle

You can delete the prefetch file as this is for caching places you have been
and programs that you have started so they load faster. windows will
rebuild this file with a new one that will cach the programs you start now.
Hope this explains it.
"Kenny Cargill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqg118$22gi12$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> I have a dll cache folder of 474MB in \system32 and one of 88MB in
> \LastGood\System 32. Also a much smaller Prefetch folder. Can I safely
> delete the contents of these? Will these fill up again if I do and what

are
> the advantages or otherwise of doing so?
>
> --
>
> Kenny

Calvin Crumrine

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in
> news:VKUyb.24279$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:
>

>>NO.....Since Windows File Protection is depending on dllcache to be
>>able to make copies to replace deleted files this will not work. If
>>dllcache is deleted there is nothing to make copies from! Result of
>>that is that you can not replace a defect/deleted file that neads to
>>be replaced. There is reasons for why MS has put some files and
>>folders as Hidden and by default not show them.

> Case in point:
> I like Notepad+ instead of notepad. I rename Notepad+.exe to Notepad.exe,
> and drop it into the dllcache folder. Windows replaces my version with the
> version in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32.

So if you rename it & drop it into c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32 does it
then replace the version in dllcache with that? or does it replace that
with the version in dllcache?

DeMoN LaG

Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:vspgt1beo8uh23
@corp.supernews.com:

> So if you rename it & drop it into c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32 does it
> then replace the version in dllcache with that? or does it replace that
> with the version in dllcache?

I've found (whether on purpose or by accident) all three places protect
each other. If I replace notepad.exe in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32, it
gets overwritten with the original notepad from dllcache. If I replace the
dllcache version, though it doesn't happen immediately and I don't know
whether it's a timer or some action I do that causes it to notice that the
dllcache version is not the right version and one of the others is
restored.

--

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:vspgt1beo8uh23
> @corp.supernews.com:
>

>>So if you rename it & drop it into c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32 does it
>>then replace the version in dllcache with that? or does it replace that
>>with the version in dllcache?

> I've found (whether on purpose or by accident) all three places protect
> each other. If I replace notepad.exe in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32, it
> gets overwritten with the original notepad from dllcache. If I replace the
> dllcache version, though it doesn't happen immediately and I don't know
> whether it's a timer or some action I do that causes it to notice that the
> dllcache version is not the right version and one of the others is
> restored.

Interesting. Sort of a peer-to-peer setup. I wonder if that's why
they're stored in 3 places-rather than having a central repository maybe
it works by voting?