Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > one of the MS robots has a sense of humor

one of the MS robots has a sense of humor

Night_Seer

V W Wall wrote:
> Thor wrote:
>>
>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I went on that site with the google toolbar, and it doesn't show any
>>> pop-ups blocked.

>> Pop-ups weren't the issue i had with Proxomitron, or the site in
>> question here. It was that Proxomitron was screwing up various
>> pages. Blocking access to some and causing rendering problems with
>> others, regardless of the bypass setting.

> I agree. Some downloads don't work properly, even eith the bypass.
>
> I downloaded "MyIE", and tried "bigcharts". It came up with all the
> fancy trimmings. (Maybe they're not pop-ups, but Proxomitron stops
> them.).
>
> In MyIE Options, I checked "auto-filter pop-ups", to no avail.
> I'd love to get rid of Proxomitron, but I access "bigcharts'
> regularly,
> and it seems to be the only thing that cleans it up.
>
> Haven't tried Pop-up Cop, maybe that's the answer. My task bar is
> getting full of browser icons, good thing I just moved everything to
> a new 80GB drive.
>
> Incidently, Proximitron worked with MyIE, without setting any
> additional proxy. Maybe it imports that setting as it did the old IE6
> favourites.
>
> Virg Wall

Why not just use the google toolbar. It has worked wonderfully as a
pop-up blocker. I understand if you'd rather not have a search bar, but
this is a GOOGLE bar...you use google anyways.

--
Night_Seer

Thor

Proxomitron is relatively unusual in that it can block far more web page
elements than the average pop-up blocker. The blocker in MyIE is effective
at blocking most all pop-ups, but it does not filter out indiviudal page
elements on the scale that proxomitron does. I don't mind though, since
pop-ups irritate me far more than the odd banner on a webpage. Pop-up Cop
has far more customization options than most generic pop-up killers, but
still not on the scale that proxomitron does, so it may, or may not be
effective at blocking what you want. It has a free 30 day trial. I like it
alot.

V W Wall

Thor wrote:

> Proxomitron is relatively unusual in that it can block far more web page
> elements than the average pop-up blocker. The blocker in MyIE is effective
> at blocking most all pop-ups, but it does not filter out indiviudal page
> elements on the scale that proxomitron does. I don't mind though, since
> pop-ups irritate me far more than the odd banner on a webpage. Pop-up Cop
> has far more customization options than most generic pop-up killers, but
> still not on the scale that proxomitron does, so it may, or may not be
> effective at blocking what you want. It has a free 30 day trial. I like it
> alot.

The "Big Charts" site does have a lot of stuff. Ads for several brokers,
animated banners, etc. They're all very pretty, but it takes two-three
times longer for the site to come up. Since following the market, involves
refreshing the data often, it is a bother. My son is getting SDN, we may
just network and enjoy the added scenery at high speed!

MyIE looks like a good addition to my task bar--still don't know how
Proxomitron found about it, or vice versa. Or does the proxy change
apply to all browsers? I had to add it to NC and again to IE. Depending
on how much MyIE "Shell" uses the basic IE6, that may explain it.

Thanks for the suggestion about MyIE, seems to have lots of good features.
May reduce the pain of going to MS IE for anything Microsoft related.
I find even the latest KB articles won't print out in anything else.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Thor

> MyIE looks like a good addition to my task bar--still don't know how
> Proxomitron found about it, or vice versa. Or does the proxy change
> apply to all browsers? I had to add it to NC and again to IE. Depending
> on how much MyIE "Shell" uses the basic IE6, that may explain it.

All the IE proxy settings apply to MyIE since IE is the rendering engine for
MyIE.

> Thanks for the suggestion about MyIE, seems to have lots of good features.

I'm hooked on it. Although Pop-up Cop doesn't integrate into it. Pop-up Cop
doesn't use a local proxy like Proxomitron does.