Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Inkjet refill kits?

Inkjet refill kits?

Kenny Cargill

Used a JR branded refill kit to fill both cartridges on HP Deskjet 840C.
Now at the start of a printed page it's OK but halfway down I start to get
fading and banding. Have done head cleaning and alignment a few times but
no difference. Should I bite the bullet and buy the proper HP cartridges or
is there a better brand of refill kit? Also opinions please on recycled or
compatible cartridges?

--

Kenny

Cheri

I bought the cheap ones called Compatible Cartridges that had been
refilled. They didn't work either. I haven't bought them since and only
buy the HP cartridges. They cost more, but in the long run they're much
cheaper.

--
Cheri

Kenny Cargill wrote in message ...
>Used a JR branded refill kit to fill both cartridges on HP Deskjet

840C.
>Now at the start of a printed page it's OK but halfway down I start to

get
>fading and banding. Have done head cleaning and alignment a few times

but
>no difference. Should I bite the bullet and buy the proper HP

cartridges or
>is there a better brand of refill kit? Also opinions please on

recycled or
>compatible cartridges?
>
>--
>
>Kenny

Mike the Kiwi

For my money you're wasting your time buying refill packages or refilled cartridges.

I know that at the time refilling your own or buying refilled printer cartridges *seems* like a good idea, but think for a
moment how the genuine items are made. They are manufactured in a sterile, dust and particulate free environment with
filtered ink so no dust or other impurities can be present in the cartridge.
The print head itself has microscopic capillaries which draw the ink into it and even dust on a microscopic level looks like
rocks which clog up the capillaries and stop the ink flow. That's where you are getting your fading and banding from,
insufficient ink being supplied to the head.

I worked for a small charitable organisation a while back and at my uninformed recommendation they were more than happy to
buy refilled cartridges for the Epsom printer to save a few bux.
At the refill shop I watched them draw the ink from large plastic bottes of ink using an old syringe that had been used for
dozens of other things before that. It sure didn't take long until we had never-ending problems with fading, banding, etc
that no amount of head cleaning would fix.
I even had the printer sent out to be checked and serviced because I thought that was the problem. They asked if I used
refilled ink cartridges and suggested that they were the cause of the problem. I changed back to the genuine replacement
parts and we never did have a problem again. Lesson learned!

On my own home printer I only buy and use genuine cartridges because in the long run what you might be saving in a few $$ by
purchasing refilled cartridges you lose many times over in wasted paper, trouble, and unnecessary stress you cause for
yourself.

A little friendly advice from my experience.

Cheers
Mike the Kiwi

"Kenny Cargill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bqdpql$20j6r9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Used a JR branded refill kit to fill both cartridges on HP Deskjet 840C.
> Now at the start of a printed page it's OK but halfway down I start to get
> fading and banding. Have done head cleaning and alignment a few times but
> no difference. Should I bite the bullet and buy the proper HP cartridges or
> is there a better brand of refill kit? Also opinions please on recycled or
> compatible cartridges?
>
> --
>
> Kenny

Wizard

I agree completely!

Cheri wrote:

> I bought the cheap ones called Compatible Cartridges that had been
> refilled. They didn't work either. I haven't bought them since and only
> buy the HP cartridges. They cost more, but in the long run they're much
> cheaper.
>
> --
> Cheri
>
> Kenny Cargill wrote in message ...
> >Used a JR branded refill kit to fill both cartridges on HP Deskjet

> 840C.
> >Now at the start of a printed page it's OK but halfway down I start to

> get
> >fading and banding. Have done head cleaning and alignment a few times

> but
> >no difference. Should I bite the bullet and buy the proper HP

> cartridges or
> >is there a better brand of refill kit? Also opinions please on

> recycled or
> >compatible cartridges?
> >
> >--
> >
> >Kenny

anna keynow

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:11:22 -0000, "Kenny Cargill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Used a JR branded refill kit to fill both cartridges on HP Deskjet 840C.
>Now at the start of a printed page it's OK but halfway down I start to get
>fading and banding. Have done head cleaning and alignment a few times but
>no difference. Should I bite the bullet and buy the proper HP cartridges or
>is there a better brand of refill kit? Also opinions please on recycled or
>compatible cartridges?

I own a "bottom of the heap" epson 480. After the warranty date had
expired, I chose to refill my cartridges or replace with non-epson
product.
What I've found is that the first refill works well but, the second or
third refill seems to result in uneven printing and occasional
'banding'.
Generic cartridges have worked well although they're more expensive
than refill kits.
If I owned an expensive printer and/or the quality of prints was of
serious importance then I may revise this approach.
-+Anna+-