Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Troubleshooting Help Needed!

Troubleshooting Help Needed!

DLDickson

Hello, I will start from the beginning and will put as much information in
as possible.

System: P4 1.4 G
OS: ME
Video: AG315T SIS315 64MB SDRAM
Memory: PC 100 256MB PC133 256MB Total: 512MB
CDRW 24x10x40x
DVD-Rom

It all started when I put in a new hhd. I didn't realize I had an earlier
problem until I tried installing the new drive. When I tried to boot up,
after installing the drive, I could not. Windows would not load. I would
get all kinds of error messages. A friend suggested I check the memory. I
have a PC 100 256Mb and a PC133 256Mb. The mobo manual states that the
manufacture will not guarantee the stability of the system if I use PC 100
memory modules. But the thing is the system will not boot up unless that PC
100 module is in the first DIMM slot (must be used if only one module).
When I took out the PC 133 256Mb module the machine booted and when into
windows. I tried to put the PC133 module in the first DIMM slot and could
not get a system beep.

I brought another PC133 256Mb module from a friend. I put it in the first
DIMM slot, no system beep. I put the PC100 in the first slot and the PC133
in the second, no beep. I got another brand name PC133 256Mb from the
friend. It would not work in the first DIMM slot, but when I put the PC100
in the first slot and the PC133 in the second I got the system to boot into
windows.

A problem that I notice while waiting for a new memory module running on the
PC 100 was my CD-Rom and DVD would do a disappearing act. When the computer
booted something it would see the CD and DVD sometimes not after booting up.
When I got the new memory, the problem remained. A new problem began to
unfold. I could be in the middle of something the screen would go blank and
I would get a message "video mode not supported". I had to reset the
machine to get back a video. I tried upgrading the video drivers, no luck.
I purchased a new video card, and got the updated drivers for it from the
manufacture's site and installed it all, no change.

When I got the mobo (year and a half ago maybe) I though it was bad because
it would not boot, I sent in back to the manufacture, they tested it and it
was good, when I got it back I found that only certain memory would work
with it. The PC100 had to be in the first DIMM slot from the start.

The video card is 1.5v as required by the mobo manufacture. I tried to get
a video card from a different manufacture, but when it arrive I found it was
almost identical to the one I had before only this one has a TV jack. The
first card is suppose to be PC Chips while the other is Elitegroup. The
manuals are identical as well.
Well folks that's where I am with this. If you have any suggestions, or
information that would help please let me know. If more information is
need, please let me know. Thank you for your time and help.

Michael-NC

What motherboard?

"DLDickson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f3tyb.6101$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> [...]

> it would not boot, I sent in back to the manufacture, they tested it and

it
> was good, when I got it back I found that only certain memory would work
> with it. The PC100 had to be in the first DIMM slot from the start.
>
> The video card is 1.5v as required by the mobo manufacture. I tried to

get
> a video card from a different manufacture, but when it arrive I found it

was
> almost identical to the one I had before only this one has a TV jack. The
> first card is suppose to be PC Chips while the other is Elitegroup. The
> manuals are identical as well.
> Well folks that's where I am with this. If you have any suggestions, or
> information that would help please let me know. If more information is
> need, please let me know. Thank you for your time and help.

Wizard

Clearly your Motherboard does not like the pc133 mem or the brand
mixing. Get the same pc100 memory. When memory is misbehaving as yours
surely is it can corrupt files. I would run sfc and replace all the
screwed files it finds. Barring that do a clean install (preferably with
a better OS).

DLDickson wrote:

> [...]
>
> When I got the mobo (year and a half ago maybe) I though it was bad because
> it would not boot, I sent in back to the manufacture, they tested it and it
> was good, when I got it back I found that only certain memory would work
> with it. The PC100 had to be in the first DIMM slot from the start.
>
> The video card is 1.5v as required by the mobo manufacture. I tried to get
> a video card from a different manufacture, but when it arrive I found it was
> almost identical to the one I had before only this one has a TV jack. The
> first card is suppose to be PC Chips while the other is Elitegroup. The
> manuals are identical as well.
> Well folks that's where I am with this. If you have any suggestions, or
> information that would help please let me know. If more information is
> need, please let me know. Thank you for your time and help.

I tried to reply to each of your messages, but they came back. I don't know
it this will make it or not.
I have a MSI 6534 mobo
> [...]

> it would not boot, I sent in back to the manufacture, they tested it and

it
> was good, when I got it back I found that only certain memory would work
> with it. The PC100 had to be in the first DIMM slot from the start.
>
> The video card is 1.5v as required by the mobo manufacture. I tried to

get
> a video card from a different manufacture, but when it arrive I found it

was
> almost identical to the one I had before only this one has a TV jack. The
> first card is suppose to be PC Chips while the other is Elitegroup. The
> manuals are identical as well.
> Well folks that's where I am with this. If you have any suggestions, or
> information that would help please let me know. If more information is
> need, please let me know. Thank you for your time and help.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L17C235B6

That's a link to Crucial's web site, detailing the memory modules you can
use in your machine. Both PC100 and PC133 are listed. My advice would be to
purchase a single 512 MB module and install it and not mix the two types in
that board.

news:Wi5zb.7807$(E-Mail Removed) t...