Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Need to start smartdrive-how?

Need to start smartdrive-how?

Plato

MrToad wrote:

> Try copying the i386 folder to your hard drive, then executing the
> winnt.exe from there.
> Smart drive is for the CDROM, an install from the HDD will speed things
> up without the need for the smartdrive program.

smartdrv is a disk caching utility and immensly speeds up copying files
from cd to hdd.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> Where do you see it touted as a CDROM speedup program??? SmartDrive has
> far more benefits for hard drives than CDs. Take a 9x machine that you
> want to remove the windows directory and reinstall. Try doing
> deltree c:\windows without smart drive running. Wait 45 minutes to an
> hour. Reinstall windows, do it again with smartdrive loaded, notice the
> entire operation takes like a minute and a half.

ditto. As I recall, smartdrv also speeds up dos win9x commands like
scanreg /opt and scanreg /fix

Plato

Thor wrote:

> smartdrive isn't touted as a CDROM speedup program. It is a disk caching
> program that has been around since the DOS days, doing duty as a harddrive
> disk caching program before CD drives were even all that common, and IIRC,
> the first versions didn't even cache CDROM drives.

It really speeded up win3x.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thor

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:3fcecae7$0$76149$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
> >
> > smartdrive isn't touted as a CDROM speedup program. It is a disk caching
> > program that has been around since the DOS days, doing duty as a

harddrive
> > disk caching program before CD drives were even all that common, and

IIRC,
> > the first versions didn't even cache CDROM drives.

> It really speeded up win3x.

yup.