Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > splititng a file to give to a Mac user

splititng a file to give to a Mac user

Toby

Hi,

I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression algorithm
common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a friend
with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that Mac
can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?

TIA

Toby

Robert Baer

Toby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression algorithm
> common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
> don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a friend
> with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that Mac
> can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
> helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?
>
> TIA
>
> Toby

Ten or more floppies? Nuts.
Use a null modem cable and Qmodem type programs.

Toby

The problem is that he's there and I'm here, so to speak. It's not so easy
to get these machines in physical proximity.

Toby
"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Toby wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression

algorithm
> > common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
> > don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a

friend
> > with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that

Mac
> > can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
> > helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Toby

> Ten or more floppies? Nuts.
> Use a null modem cable and Qmodem type programs.

Thor

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Toby wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression

algorithm
> > common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
> > don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a

friend
> > with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that

Mac
> > can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
> > helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Toby

> Ten or more floppies? Nuts.
> Use a null modem cable and Qmodem type programs.

>1GB of data to transfer, over a NULL MODEM CABLE?? You sir, are a

masochist. That would be dog-ass slow even over a laplink parallel
cable, but at least with that, it could be done in this lifetime.

WebWalker

On 30 Nov 2003 05:43:05 -0600, "Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression algorithm
>common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
>don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a friend
>with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that Mac
>can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
>helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?

Most probably your Mac friend is using Stuffit, try to check with
him/her.
You can get a trial copy of Stuffit from http://www.aladdinsys.com.

--
WebWalker
PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279

derek / nul

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:55:12 +0800, WebWalker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 30 Nov 2003 05:43:05 -0600, "Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression algorithm
>>common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
>>don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a friend
>>with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that Mac
>>can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
>>helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?

If you MAC friend has access to the web, put the file on a web or ftp site.

Robert Baer

Thor wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Toby wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression

> algorithm
> > > common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
> > > don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a

> friend
> > > with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that

> Mac
> > > can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
> > > helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Toby

> > Ten or more floppies? Nuts.
> > Use a null modem cable and Qmodem type programs.

> >1GB of data to transfer, over a NULL MODEM CABLE?? You sir, are a

> masochist. That would be dog-ass slow even over a laplink parallel
> cable, but at least with that, it could be done in this lifetime.

I figure it would take a little over 3 hours at 115Kbaud.
Parallel would be a lot faster, but the Mac does not seem to have any
programs to support that kind of data transfer.
In any case, it is moot, in that the computers are so far apart.
As someone suggested, using FTP and the net seems to be an option.

Thor

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thor wrote:
> >
> > "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > algorithm

discs? I

> > friend

that
> > Mac

very

> > > Ten or more floppies? Nuts.
> > > Use a null modem cable and Qmodem type programs.

> > >1GB of data to transfer, over a NULL MODEM CABLE?? You sir, are a

> > masochist. That would be dog-ass slow even over a laplink parallel
> > cable, but at least with that, it could be done in this lifetime.

> I figure it would take a little over 3 hours at 115Kbaud.

HUH?? 3 hours??? We're talking about transferring 1 Gigabyte of data over a
connection speed of 115,200BITS /second. 1GB works out to 8,589,934,592
BITS. Divide that by 115,200 and you get 74,565 seconds, or 1242 minutes, or
roughly 20-21 hours at best.

> Parallel would be a lot faster, but the Mac does not seem to have any
> programs to support that kind of data transfer.
> In any case, it is moot, in that the computers are so far apart.
> As someone suggested, using FTP and the net seems to be an option.

Calvin Crumrine

derek / nul wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:55:12 +0800, WebWalker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On 30 Nov 2003 05:43:05 -0600, "Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am a total dweeb when it comes to Mac. Is there a compression algorithm
>>>common to both win and Mac platforms that will allow me to span discs? I
>>>don't have a DVD burner and I have a file that I want to give to a friend
>>>with a Mac (OSX) that is > 1Gb. If there is a program like Winrar that Mac
>>>can read and will allow me to break the file into parts it would be very
>>>helpful. Or is there a splitter proggie that is common to both?

> If you MAC friend has access to the web, put the file on a web or ftp site.

Great idea-if you have access to a web/ftp site that gives you 1GB or
more of space. The cheapest way I've found of doing that is to set up my
own server which is a bit of overkill for a one-time thing. (It has
other benefits so I've been thinking about doing it for the past year.
If I had to do something like this then maybe it would be the 'straw'
that would finally drive me to get it done.)

Robert Baer

Thor wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thor wrote:
> > >
> > > "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > algorithm

> discs? I
> > > friend

> that
> > > Mac

> very

> > > masochist. That would be dog-ass slow even over a laplink parallel
> > > cable, but at least with that, it could be done in this lifetime.

> > I figure it would take a little over 3 hours at 115Kbaud.

> HUH?? 3 hours??? We're talking about transferring 1 Gigabyte of data over a
> connection speed of 115,200BITS /second. 1GB works out to 8,589,934,592
> BITS. Divide that by 115,200 and you get 74,565 seconds, or 1242 minutes, or
> roughly 20-21 hours at best.
>
> > Parallel would be a lot faster, but the Mac does not seem to have any
> > programs to support that kind of data transfer.
> > In any case, it is moot, in that the computers are so far apart.
> > As someone suggested, using FTP and the net seems to be an option.

Sorry, you are correct; i had foolishly thought 115K baud which is 8
times faster.